No Audio Output Device

Question

• Hello,

I just installed Windows Vista Business RTM...

Everything works well, except for the sound... the sound device is installed correctly, but I don't have any sound!

When I put my mouse on the sound icon (right under, next to the time) I get the following message:

No Audio Output Device is installed

I use a Notebook from HP (nx9420).

Could somebody please help me with this issue?

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 2:48 PM

All replies

• were  you  able  to solve  problem same  thing  happening  to  me
    • Proposed as answer by wantkiewicz Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, February 06, 2007 5:00 AM
  • I have the same problen on an Intel 975BX board. I have check drivers and all seems okay.

Does anyone have a solution???

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:53 PM
  • i have the same issue, running a ACPI x86 motherboard, and my audio worked completely fine on Windows XP, never once had an issue and i now installed (a clean install) Windows Vista Basic and get the "no audio output device installed".  my speakers are plugged in and everything, this is really really annoying and i hope someone comes up with a solution soon, it sucks trying to game or listen to music without sound =)
    • Proposed as answer by bbigjames77 Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:38 AM
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 5:29 PM
  • I have recently bought a new Sony VAIO (Laptop) VGN-FE41E. After I expericenced some windows problems I have upgraded the system software (Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct). Then my computer fell silent. When I hover over the sound icon next to the clock. (bottom right hand corner) I get the message "No Audio Output Device is installed." Before I upgraded my Vista the device worked properly-previously I was using the same system software.

To solve the problem I have tried the following:

1-     In the control panel> Harware and sound > sound, it is indicated that “No audio devices are installed”

2-     In the control panel> Device manager, under Sound, video and game conrollers I have found SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec. I have tried to update the driver of this device by right clicking. I was notified that “Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date”

3-     Afterwards I disabled and enabled the device. It did not solve the problem.

4-     Afterwards I uninstalled the device and reinsalled it again in Device manager. It did not work.

5-     I also visited the driver databse website ( http://www.driversdb.com/device.php?id=73047 ) no driver is offered for this product for windows Vista (For other system software they do).

6-     VAIO website does also not offer drivers for this product.

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?

• Proposed as answer by babyc1girl Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:00 AM
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:17 AM
  • I have had the same experience with a new Vaio FE41Z. It worked fine with Vista Home Premium, then I upgraded to Ultimate and I get the  same messages as you (No audio input or output devices installed).
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Hi,

I too have no sound. Vista thinks there is a  High Definition Audio Device (in Device Manager) and that its driver is working ok. But when you go to  the Sound panel on the Playback panel it shows an icon for Headphones and says High Definition Audio device Not plugged in (and plugging headphones in doesnt change things!).

Hp Pavillion t3355.uk  ASUS P5LP-LE motherboard, with Relatek 882 , Vista Ultimate.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 10:59 AM
  • I was able to solve the problem by rolling back to the preinstalled factory state by using Vaio system recovery tool.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 3:05 PM
  • Friday, February 23, 2007 3:36 PM
  • Try going here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#AC

I found that the Realtek AC'97 Audio Codecs corrected every sound issue that I have had with Vista. Uninstall any existing sound drivers before downloading this software. The install is straight forward. What is the worst that can happen? You don't have any sound.

Friday, February 23, 2007 5:00 PM
  • I believe I have a solution.

Scenario: I bought a new Sony Vaio on Sunday, and upgraded Vista to Vista Ultimate yesterday. Immediately the sound system fell silent. After following other suggestions I checked the updates I had installed following the upgrade to Ultimate. Windows and discovered that Update for Windows Vista (KB929685) says:

"Install this update to address an issue that may prevent high-definition audio devices from initializing after resuming the system from a sleep or hibernation state."

I had put the PC to sleep around that point.

Here is what I did next:

In Conrol Panel -> System -> Select the Device Manager and find the Sound entry. Expand it. Click the entry for High Definiton Audio Device with the right mouse button. Uninstall it and the software too (check the box).

Now put the PC to sleep. When it restarts it will reinstall the Audio device. Meantime the update above (KB929685) seemed to have kicked in and PRESTO - sound again!

Worked for me. Good luck.

• Proposed as answer by majwg Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:01 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:35 PM
  • I have to agree with KenCrash, I tried hard to find compatible drivers for my Soundblaster live/audigy but Creative's website says they are not even planning on updating Live, not sure about Audigy. I have heard their upper XI models generally work with Vista. I fixed by simply re-enabling my onboard sound card of C-media and downloading the latest AC 97. It seems AC97 is becoming very popular because nothing else works with Vista, least without buying a new soundcard.
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 8:29 AM
  • Thanks man!

Worked for me too as i experienced precisely the same after upgrade to my new FE41Z!

Thursday, March 01, 2007 2:42 PM
  • I have to say that any of the solutions in this forum or other worked for me... :( not even the realtec drivers... but now im listening a good song from my speakers...

I have a HP pavillion dv 1000 notebook... 

I went to the HP web page to find support & drivers for WV. , I found a link  to download a program from HP to update drivers for WV but it didnt work... so...

simply I contact HP... I choose chat  online with a Technician.. by the way her name was Pearl. mmmm..  and she gave me the links to upgrade my Conexant High - Definition Audio Driver... then my speakers sound again!!!

what does this mean?

they have all the drivers for WV u need...  just we need to ask for them...

I hope this will be helpful for all  of you.  

Thursday, March 01, 2007 7:50 PM
  • Yep, I've had the same experience.

Bought the VAIO with VISTA Home premium and all was ok, upgraded to Vista Ultimate and lost the sound. "No Audio Output device is installed" is the message I see when I hover my mouse over the speaker icon in the system tray.

Has anyone found a solution?

Saturday, March 03, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Dear Geoffrey Beulque

See the following link for some alternatives

http://club.vaio.sony.co.uk/clubvaio/gb/en/forum/viewthread?thread=39831

Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:01 PM
  • after spending hours researching and trying to fix exactly the same problem with the audio device, I want to thank "copperminecottage" for the information, and want to share my experience fixing this problem:

I use the SigmaTel High Def. CODEC audio device on my DELL laptop with Vista OS.  After uninstall the driver, and reboot to automatically reinstall it, the audio still did not work.  Amazingly, without doing much other, after put the system in Hibernate mode and come back, the auto worked.

Don't have time to figure it out why, but this worked for me - Don't forget to Hibernate the system & "wake" it up first before saying it's still not working.

Good luck.

-Cello1

p.s. Though I have to say that I am having quite some issues with applications & drivers not compatible with the new OS - Vista yet.  Guess it will take a little while for applications working out the solution for Vista.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Coppermine you beauty... Searched for hours for an answer before i found your post! Your solution worked like a dream, now i can get back to listening to Mcfly!

(I have Vista Home Premium by the way)

Thanks again.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 12:29 PM
  • THANKS SO MUCH!!  It worked great!  Did this on a Gateway laptop, just installed Vista yesterday and NO SOUND.  Thanks for the info.
    • Proposed as answer by lorraine lee Friday, December 26, 2008 10:27 AM
    Friday, March 09, 2007 8:13 PM
  •         It worked!

I was getting really frustrated.  I just bought a DELL INSPIRON 1501 and decided to upgrade to the Vista Premium.  Imediatly after install there was no sound.  What a nightmare!  I found this web page and followed your instructions.  Sound is up and running.

Thanks Alot!

• Proposed as answer by lorraine lee Friday, December 26, 2008 10:26 AM
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 7:40 AM
  • Christ, I am at my wits end and hope to God that someone can help me.

Like everyone else I brought a copy of Vista (Home Prem) and excitedly installed it, only to find that No Audio Output Device was Installed. I called up Microsoft, but was told to essentially go and jump because my version is an OEM. I called up HP to see if they could help with their HD, but after twenty minutes with an Indian fella in an Outsourced office, I was informed that HP may have an updated driver in a couple months (if I'm lucky).

A couple months with no sound is unacceptable... a couple days with no sound is unacceptable.

Now, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with no luck. I followed KenCrash's suggestion and I downloaded the Realtek AC'97 Audio Codecs and tried installing them, but every time I tried to do so a Microsoft warning about the program not having a valid (my word) digital signature kept coming up, and no matter how many times I clicked Install Anyway, the installation just wouldn't move.

Finally after starting and stopping four times, the Program announced that it was for 64bit Vista's only. So, I don't know what to do. Please, i hope someone can help me.

My computer is a Compaq Presario v5120 Laptop.
    I have a Intel DUO chip (T200 @ 1.66 Ghz if I'm ready this right)
    0.99 GB of RAM
    Mobile Intel(R) 945M Express`Chipset Controller 0
    Vista Home Prem (32 bit version)

Monday, March 12, 2007 2:47 AM
  • try this'

Go to the Control Panel

Then  Go to Administrative Tools

Then Go to Component Services

Then go to Local Services and expand the window

Then scroll down to Windows Audio   change it to automatic and/or start it (under status)

You may want to look at some of the other things there and click on their description to see if you want the automatic instead of manual option like the Plug and Play and whatever controls your wireless connections

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:55 AM
  • Thank you copperminecottage.  Your solution worked for me also; it's nice to be able to hear again!
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:13 PM
  •  

I have a dell xps 410 and after updating to ultimate I had the same problem. I installed the KB929685, uninstalled the Sigma driver, rebooted and it worked !!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, March 17, 2007 7:27 PM
  • I tried this fix on my Dell INSPITON E1505, and it did work. Only problem is it automatically installed a Microsoft driver, and the sound does work, but is much inferior to the quality afforded by the Sigma Tel driver. Like not in Hi-Fi at all, but it does make noise! Will settle for this until a new driver is offered that has some decent sound quality. Thanks for the uninstall concept. It does work!
    Thursday, March 22, 2007 11:02 PM
  • BIG thanks to copperminecottage...worked a treat...only a couple of days without sound had me going spare! Thanks again well done
    Friday, March 23, 2007 12:53 PM
  •  

Go to Start and type: services.msc

Scroll down the list of services until you find Windows Audio

Open up Windows Audio by double clicking

Make sure it is running, if not, click on Start

Note: This worked for me.  I just installed MS Office 2007 and the problem showed up right after the installation.  It has been a chronic problem so I hope this is the final fix.  I hope this tip helps you.

Whiteflower

Sunday, March 25, 2007 10:17 PM
  • It worked for me as well. Thanks so much for posting what you did because I was trying everything and nothing was working, it would keep on saying " no output audio device installed ". Thanks again!!
    • Proposed as answer by lkj_texas Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:52 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 3:12 AM
  • Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

I tried it and it worked!

Thank You =)

Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:58 AM
  •  

Wow......thanks alot COPPERMINECOTTAGE, for a moment I though I was going crazy, I tried do fix the problem by my self but I would never though of doing what you suggested.  I am so happy, now I can listen to my music and feel alive again.  I personally apreciated your help.  @nn!e

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:15 PM
  • This solution worked for me as well. Thanks Copperminecottage!
    Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Wanted to thank you.... installed Vista no problem.. tried to load McAfee - crashed the system & had to take the system into the service provider to get the programs loaded... came home - no screen saver.. loaded Windows update and took care of that problem. Next day, no sound.. very aggravating for my nervy husband. Came home today to find that he had spent hours trying to fix the problem with no success... Found your blog and had the problem fixed in 4 minutes - thanx for making me win the bet and prove that I am the better computer person (coz of you). He owes me dinner!! For all reading this post, THIS IS THE SOLUTION!!!!!
    Tuesday, April 03, 2007 2:49 AM
  • Ok someone please help!

Also have the same problem, but have tried every solution people offer but to no avail. Both speakers and headphone don't work. I've tried to install the update on Microsoft's website and it says it does not apply to me. Have both restarted and hibernated after uninstalling the sound driver and nothing changes. I'm pretty sure (although starting to wonder if I'm being delusional as i haven't seen it since) that Microsoft will issue a new update soon, but it is still going through the testing stages. If anyone can divert me to that, it would be most appreciated!

Does anyone have any more ideas as to how to fix this problem?

Micca.

Spec:

Vista Home Basic

Athlon 3000

1GB RAM

80GB RAM

Asus motherboard (PCI Express) with onboard sound

Tuesday, April 03, 2007 5:18 PM
  • The update by microsoft:

Windows Vista (KB929685) says:

"Install this update to address an issue that may prevent high-definition audio devices from initializing after resuming the system from a sleep or hibernation state."

This update don't work for my Compaq Presario V3136. This is a dump issue by microsoft drivers! Microsoft update cannot resolved this issue after hibernate. I tried various means wihtout much success.

Scenario:

Compaq Presario V3136 notebook upgrade from XP to Windows Vista Home Premium. Windows Vista Home Premium initial sound no problems. However, when the notebook wakes up from Hibernate mood, there is no sound from the notebook even though the speaker/ sound icon still shows the sound fluctuating when I test a MP3 sound but no sound.

1. Tried uninstalling the high definition audio and rescan in system/devices to reinstall the driver. It works on the spot. However when you put it back to Hibernate and wakes up again, NO SOUND!!. Even though the windows update already update the KB929685. CRAB!

2. Tried coppermine suggestion, same thing happens as step 1, NO SOUND WHEN WAKES UP FROM HIBERNATE!!

3. This is serious as there is no known solution to this problem. It seems stupid to uninstall and reinstall the driver everytime the system wakes up from Hibernate.

4. I even tried by going to administrative tools, services, stop and start the windows audio services, still NO SOUND!

Is Microsoft programmers serious about fixing this issue?

Friday, April 06, 2007 2:15 AM
  • The update by microsoft:

Windows Vista (KB929685) says:

This update don't work for my Compaq Presario V3136. This is a dump issue by microsoft drivers! Microsoft update cannot resolved this issue after hibernate. I tried various means wihtout much success.

Scenario:

Compaq Presario V3136 notebook upgrade from XP to Windows Vista Home Premium. Windows Vista Home Premium initial sound no problems. However, when the notebook wakes up from Hibernate mood, there is no sound from the notebook even though the speaker/ sound icon still shows the sound fluctuating when I test a MP3 sound but no sound.

1. Tried uninstalling the high definition audio and rescan in system/devices to reinstall the driver. It works on the spot. However when you put it back to Hibernate and wakes up again, NO SOUND!!. Even though the windows update already update the KB929685. CRAB!

2. Tried coppermine suggestion, same thing happens as step 1, NO SOUND WHEN WAKES UP FROM HIBERNATE!!

3. This is serious as there is no known solution to this problem. It seems stupid to uninstall and reinstall the driver everytime the system wakes up from Hibernate.

4. I even tried by going to administrative tools, services, stop and start the windows audio services, still NO SOUND!

Is Microsoft programmers serious about fixing this issue?

Friday, April 06, 2007 2:19 AM
  • I too have a Sony Vaio FE41S, and installed the Vista upgrade, I took copperminecottage advice and it worked, thank you so much I would never have been that brave to do that, its great to have sound back, and it was sorted in seconds, thanks again

Saturday, April 14, 2007 6:01 AM
  • I bought a DELL C521 and it works great... but then I purchased a program that uses the winhlp32.exe to display that programs help files.

Well I went to the MS website and tried to download this file and the page kept freezing up when I would select "continue - Validation required. 

So I thought "I will reinstall Vista Home Premium" to help fix this problem and it did work, the webpage did not freeze up again.

Well after the re-install I noticed that my sound mixer would not recongnized my sound card. "No output audio device is installed".

I must have re-installed the video driver 10 times then went looking for an answer for this problem. Found your solution and it worked.

I put my computer to sleep then woke it up and now I have my sound back on new computer.  thanks copperminecottage!

• Proposed as answer by bird hunter Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:33 AM
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 9:25 PM
  • try to post ur sound card's name!!
    I had the same problem for my soundmax(built in)
    now i solved it via
    searching and download my motherboards driver for vista
    my mother board is asus P5RD1vm
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/vista-sound-drivers/

i download soundmax driver only for my PC!

it has
    • SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio - Analog audio with the drivers works fine, but digital audio doesn’t.
    • Creative Sound Blaster Live! Series - No sound by default, Creative drivers won’t install.
    • Creative Audigy 1 - No sound by default, Creative drivers won’t install.
    • Creative Audigy 2 - No sound by default, Creative drivers won’t install.
    • Creative Audigy 4 - Creative drivers install but constantly stutter.
    • Creative X-Fi Series - Creative drivers install but constantly stutter.
    • SigmaTel Integrated Audio - No compatible drivers; Digital N/A.
    • Other AC ‘97

Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:13 PM
  • http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/vista-sound-drivers/
    go here
    • SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio - Analog audio with the drivers works fine, but digital audio doesn’t.
    • Creative Sound Blaster Live! Series - No sound by default, Creative drivers won’t install.
    • Other AC ‘97
    Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:15 PM
  • I got an Acer aspire T650, i recently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista Home Premium, However now i have upgraded i have no sound, i cannot play music in Windows Media Player it says there are no sound devices installed, the same with the system tray it says 'no sound output devices installed', Under hardware and devices > sound, video and game controllers it shows; Fly DVB-T Hybrid and underneath that it shows High definition audio device but with a yellow symbol and on it's properties it says this device cannot start (code 10).

I never had any problems before upgrading and i have 2 sets of speakers, Acer and I.t Works neither of them work, i did have realtek high def audio in my system tray when i had XP and when i upgraded too but now that seems to have disappered from my computer the same with the master volume in system tray it had no X on it but now it does (obviously meaning no device installed). but all my speakers are plugged in, there no updates on windows to make them work i have all current updates. What to do? i don't know!!!!! I followed copperminecottage instructions and indeed it did as it said but then said 'device installation failed!' it didn't say why.

Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:26 PM
  • Thank you so much!  You are a genius - this absolutely worked for me.  I have been setting up my brand new Gateway laptop, and like several people who mentioned upgrading to Ultimate, I had no sound.  This is great - I have sound!  I was so worried something was really wrong with my brand new computer.  Appreciate the help.

JenB

Monday, April 16, 2007 4:59 AM
  • Hey, same thing with me, i just installed vista ulitmate and lost my sound,  all drivers show installed, but icon on front page has red x and says no audio output.  I thought i was going nuts and have spent now 5 hrs trying to solve this myself. ran across this site by accident.  i'll read on and see if htere is a fix to this... 

whew!!!

Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:19 AM
  • well of course you were, but most of us want our upgrades.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:22 AM
  • yipppeeeeeeee  this one worked.  piece o cake.

thanks for posting http://www.community.windowsreinstall.com/index.php?showtopic=110&stgopid=408

you're the best kadizade!!

MsMary1

Thursday, April 19, 2007 5:13 AM
  • I had the same problem with my hp. Goto http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/ and have a look at the high def there will be a driver for vista. Downloads and install that. It will remove your old drivers by itself. And you will have sound
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 7:44 PM
  • copperminecottage you're a genius! I talked to Dell about my upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Vista Business on my c521 and it knocked out my sound. They went through so many steps (very helpful) but in the end wanted me to contact MS.

I'm glad I did some searching before calling them. Your fix helped! Thank you SO much for posting it Smile

Saturday, April 21, 2007 7:59 AM
  • hi how did u solve ur problem. i done the same thing and my sound was gone too can you help me please
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:13 PM
  • didn't loose audio until downloaded RealTek Vista_r165 the first time.  tried uninstall/sleep shown in string above, but didn't get results until I downloaded Vista_R165 (executable) a second time.  After restart, the red X had disappeared. Still had to go in and change default speakers to the ones I had hooked up...but they're working fine now.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 5:54 PM
  • If you have A Windows vista computer with the no audio thing here is what to do.Go to the control panel and hardware and Audio and go to sound then uninstall the driver.And that's it.
    Monday, April 23, 2007 8:06 PM
  • i have no sound in my computer, it says that i have no output devise installed put every thing is is allready installed

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:26 PM
  • i installed wendows visa buisnes and the sound dont work can some one tell me how to make it work and it says no audip output device is installed
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:27 PM
  • did u git it to work if u did tell me how to do that
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:28 PM
  • try to post ur sound card's name!!
    I had the same problem for my soundmax(built in)
    now i solved it via
    searching and download my motherboards driver for vista
    my mother board is asus P5RD1vm
    http://neosmart.net/blog/2006/vista-sound-drivers/

i download soundmax driver only for my PC!

it has
    • Other AC ‘97
    Friday, April 27, 2007 1:45 PM
  • You ROCK  copperminecottage and now my pc does again thanks to you.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 2:46 AM
  • http://www.ivirtuaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=9360

go to this link u will have an answer
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 3:27 PM
  • After many days and without the support of Microsoft and my PC vendor i fixed the problem.

PROBLEM:

- Acer Travelmate 3000: "no Audio Output Device" message.

- the Acer website for Vista redir to a Realtek driver.... bullshit...

at the end, trying to use my XP drivers i discovered it was a SigmaTel and NOT a Realtek driver that i had to search.

Sigmatel and Acer websites don't provide any drivers, finally i found it on Packard Bell website:

http://support.packardbell.com/es/item/index.php?pn=PB62Q00304&t=2007

download Sigmatel High Definition Drivers.

launch the installation software, it will break before complete the installation but it will save in your c:\drivers folder the driver you need...

now install it manually from Device Manager.

... a little tricky but it works, i hope it can help many Acer users that i read had my same problem.

Bye.

Monday, April 30, 2007 2:50 PM
  • All I did was a roll back for my audio divice and now it works again.

How I did was:

Open control panel, then divce manager, open sound, double click on the divce you have for sound. (with windows vista might be: Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC...and open, then go to Drives tabs on top..then select "roll back".

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

Friday, May 04, 2007 12:52 AM
  •  rugbyfan wrote:

I have the same problen on an Intel 975BX board. I have check drivers and all seems okay.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:13 AM
  • I have xp and the same this is happening to me, however it happens and stays like tha for a week and then goes back to normal for two weeks or so. when the sound goes, you can't access the sound reality card either and the xp style on the screen goes to 98.
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:02 PM
  • Well I simply went control panel-device manager-sound- delete sigmatel audio tec -the pc will automatically install a new audio output device that is compatible with windows vista.---I hope it could help some of you!!!!!Chow chow
    Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:09 PM
  • hey thankyou so very very much. your advice worked a treat - i thought i was going to be lost without music, but yes, thank so very very much
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:02 AM
  • yes that did the job, thank you very much!
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:58 PM
  • I cant roll back
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:29 AM
  • I have upgraded to vista ultimate and since then I have had the same problem. I am not able to select the option for roll back. What can I do?
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Thanks JJS41. I was able to fix my brand new HP Pavillion dv9210 sound problem with your precise explanation of the fix. Glad to have people like you around to trouble-shoot what Microsoft hasn't fixed.

girlsaylor

Sunday, May 20, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Thank you so very much!

The funny thing, for me, is that I went into device manager and uninstalled the driver the other day I but didn't check the check box.  When I rebooted and still had no sound, I just kept trying other things and googling the error message.  I really thought that uninstalling the software was irrelevant to the problem at hand.  Goes to show the saying is true... never assume..

Again, thank you very much copperminecottage and everyone else that said copperminecottage's solution worked.  Had it not been for all your posts, I would still be  troubleshooting and debating on calling tech support. Smile 

Thanks again!

Monday, May 21, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Hi did you get your audio to work?

i'm having the same issue and i cant fix it!  could you tell me if you fixed it?

Monday, May 21, 2007 11:41 PM
  • you are the man i really apreciate your help......id tryied everything but this it really worked......gracias amigo
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:18 PM
  • Hello,

I just installed windows vista on my personal home computer,  everything works fine but i don't have any sound.

When i put my mouse on the sound icon i get the following message:  No Audio Device is installed.  I have tried updating the driver but it says there is no known driver.   

Could someone please help me with this issue?

Thanx,

Chandra

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Thank you so much coppermine i did what you said and it worked i spent hours on pc trying to fix it then i came across your notes and  it  worked within minutes, hats off to you. thanks again. maggie
    Saturday, May 26, 2007 8:26 PM
  • i just install window vista wellbut i dont have any sound
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 3:30 AM
  • Sunday, May 27, 2007 5:08 AM
  •  

I too am having sound difficulties. I have Windows Vista Home Premium installed on my computer and mine did not mess up UNTIL the auto upgrade of the Sigma Tel HDA. This really upsets me because there is no where through the microsoft company to get help w/o them charging you $1.99 a minute for the call. My computer does not have a rollback option when I go to my drive manager. Do you have another way to fix it? I would greatly appreciate it; it does me no good to have  a computer with no sound.

Please HELP!!!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:19 PM
  • have you gotten you sound fixed yet. I am having the same problem w/ the no roll back button. I f you did fix it could you let me know how? and vise-versa with mine. THANKS!!
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 2:39 PM
  • hey jjs41 thort id give ur solution a go but my roll back button dus not apear so i cant click it......do have eny other ideas .......my computer says everything is fine but on the bottom right it say no audio devices installed .....if u have eny ideas email me plz ....jason_richards16@hotmail.com ....thanks alot
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Check out Copperminecottage on page 2  = he figured out the solution. 
    Friday, June 01, 2007 8:05 PM
  • my computer did exactly what your was doing, but if you go to page 2 there is a solution.

and Many Mnay thanks to Copperminecottage, I did exactly what they said and I have sound again YEAH!!!!!

Saturday, June 02, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

Your solution totally fixed my problem and I am sooooooo happy now. Thanks a million. I know who to ask 1st the next time I have a problem.

Saturday, June 02, 2007 1:41 AM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Everything works well, except for the sound... the sound device is installed correctly, but I don't have any sound!

When I put my mouse on the sound icon (right under, next to the time) I get the following message:

Thanks!!

jabreu...

JJS41 wrote:

All I did was a roll back for my audio divice and now it works again.

How I did was:

Open control panel, then divce manager, open sound, double click on the divce you have for sound. (with windows vista might be: Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC...and open, then go to Drives tabs on top..then select "roll back".

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

I opened control panel, went to device maneger, and clicked on my high definition audio controller (the one I use) and i tried rolling back but it wont let me click on roll over driver and to the right of it it says ìf the device fails after updating the driver roll back to previously installed driver. so i tried searching for updates, and there isnt any, and i still cant click on roll over driver, what do I do
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 2:21 AM
  • go through the uninstall process for the "sigma tel high definition audio CODEC", whether it be through the control panel uninstall software, or device manager bring up audio driver and uninstall.

Then reboot the computer, windows vista will find and reinstall automaticaly.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:41 PM
  • Could someone help me? I just reformated my machine and I don!t have no sound whatsoever

Thanks a million

Friday, June 08, 2007 8:32 AM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Thursday, June 14, 2007 12:54 AM
  • After reading your posted message, I tried hibernating my laptop and it reinstalled the audio driver automatic!!!  Thanks for help for trouble shooting.
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion.  I removed the driver and re-booted.  The computer recognized the problem and installed a new driver.  Now the audio system is working.  Smile
    Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Wow you just totally saved me from throwing five laptops out a window.  I have spent five hours today trying to get this ONE stupid sound driver working so I could flash several machines... I googled and googled and googled...  Thanks, good find!

And just a beef I discovered along the way - HP / Compaq has the WORST product support / driver download site I've ever encountered... don't look to them for any assistance on Vista compatibility.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do when the users of these new machines start plugging them into HP printers

Thursday, July 19, 2007 7:59 AM
  • hey everybodym, i cant mess up with this problem

i am operating on a 32bit system and i did the followings:

firstly i uninstalled my high definition driver and then windows tried reinstalled it automaticaly

at the end of the update it notifies me that it had failed

i also tried to install another windows update KDB....(cant remind) and it  also failed because it was available only for 64 and 86 bit versions

can somebody please help me? i am need sound on my comp immediately because my job depends on it

And if there is no solution should i buy another new sound card?if so which one is the best for my situation?

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:51 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem.  Where do I find the answer to this problem that you posted?

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:01 AM
  •  What I had to do was put the computer in hibernation mode.  Once you take it out of hibernation mode it will reinstall the audio driver.  

Best Regards,

Jaye5

Friday, August 10, 2007 3:33 PM
  • As I am not in any way a genius at this, is this the only way you found to get the device back, restoring default settings?  I needed to upgrade to Ultimate from Hoem Premium.  It seems as though reverting to the factory settings would default the issue back to home premium.
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:12 PM

•    Wow!  Copperminecottage (p2) This worked for me! Fixed the problem very easily.  Thank you very much.
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 5:48 AM
  • after you diabled the device in # 2 you then need to put your computer in hibernation mode or sleep mode. When you bring it back up it should work ok, if not try restoring your computer to the point of when it was working ok.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 6:45 PM
  •  

Re: please help! No audio output  device ... regular windows xp    

I have the same problem with my sound. It just stopped working and i've done everything that was suggested and It still dosen't work !!!   Have you been able to fix your sound.   Can anybody please help me it's driving me nuts . Thanks

Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:13 AM
  • THANKS A LOT man. It worked for me too.

Monday, September 03, 2007 1:18 AM
  • Thanks copperminecottage, that worked for me.  I was getting a little frustated there.  I recommend doing this for anyone that has a sound issue when you upgrade.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 6:32 PM
  •  

I have an Sony Vaio PCV-RS220 and I reinstalled to an upgraded version of Windows XP (Media Center).  All of the drivers I downloaded from Sony have worked EXCEPT for the sound!!!  I tried copperminecottages method, which was on page 1, not 2, and it didn't work either.  Im not upgrading to winodws vista, just windows xp 2005.  PLEASE HELP!!!!!  ILL TRY ANYTHING AT THIS POINT!!!
    Monday, September 10, 2007 2:00 AM

•    For anyone that upgraded from XP to vista and lost sound and all you get is a message that says "No audio output device is installed", you might wanna try to download the windows update kb937077 that says "Install this update to resolve an issue where a high definition audio device (HDA) may no longer work after a system running Windows Vista returns from sleep, or hibernation and then restarts.", after installing it, uninstall your audio driver and put your computer to hibernation, wake it up again and it should install it automatically, windows is going to install the audio driver that came with windows vista if this does not help it means that your audio won't work with the driver provided in the windows vista upgrade, so you go to plan B:

Go to the website of your computer's brand (HP, sony, dell, etc.) and look for the audio driver that came with your computer when you had XP, with your computer model number you should be able to find it and install it, even though you're now running vista it should work, and you'll get your sound back.
    Monday, October 22, 2007 5:05 AM
  • How can i fix it

Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:36 AM
  • Thanks.  Had the same problem after removing a user due to a virus.  I had never been to the divice manager before.  Once there, I worked it out and downloaded what I needed for the sound to work again. 

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:55 PM
  • hi my computer have a problem now..so ..sound not come out ..why was that ? the computer said no audio output device..how can I do this problem ..

this computer always give me a problem ..compaq is not good .. I never buy later ..also windows vista ..really really not good... alway have problem ..

please help me ..

Friday, November 02, 2007 11:23 AM
  • Seems like loads of people have the same problem! Many Sony Vaio's though, and only few Acer's Sad

I have about 3 months old Acer Aspire 9423 notebook (Intel High Definition Audio, Vista Home Premium, Centrino Duo etc. etc). Sounds worked well for about 2 months until they just suddenly stopped working without me doing any upgrades or any changes to the system. I don't understand this, since the auto updates Vista has installed don't seem to be the cause to this issue. It's not sleep or hibernation that has anything to do with it. Doesn't matter how I try, the audio stays unfound. Can't be my sound card since so many other pc users encounter this from different manufacturers.

Edit 12.11.2007: Forgot to mention, I was yet again for the millionth time trying to get the sound card work when I installed or uninstalled the Realtek drivers. Said it failed and after that the sounds worked just fine on my profile. After switching to an other one the next day, the soundware were gone again. I mean it can't be the card?

I've googled over the tech support forums randomly for about 3 weeks now. Still no solution. For 3 weeks the sound has been gone (I AM GOING MAD) and I haven't had the determination to try all the time. I was going to send it to warranty maintenance, but changed my mind after hearing all of you guys having the same problem on different platforms.

How can this be? IT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR OVER 6 MONTHS NOW (for random Vista users)! Is Microsoft going to do something about this? Whose responsibility is it? Acer's? Realtek's? The KB updates are worth nothing. I have them all, doesn't help.

I tried all the updates recommended, no change what so ever. I'm so fed up with this, spent like 50 hours on this and still no change. Others can atleast see "Sound, video" etc. on Device Manager. I've got nothing on there either. Anything that has anything to do with sound cannot be found on dev mangr.

And yes, I also tried putting the audio up from the local services. Was started and automatic, doesn't make a difference..

I've tried:

- Restore points
    - Re-installations
    - Registry cleaning and other registry "tricks"
    - Driver updates (chipset manufacturer and Acer)
    - All the KB's
    - All the other methods described on this thread

- Check it from BIOS

Edit 12.11.2007:

Tried Ubuntu Linux, didn't find it either, but that was running live from CD. I called Acer, they want me to send it to service maintenance, but I need it all the time, I cannot just send it off to random people to deal with it Wink I wish customer tech support people could help advanced users, with their knowlegde and advice, but instead they just tell you to send it somewhere. Also heard that there is a ghost partition on the PC. I was ondering where 20 gigas of hd space had gone. Only shows 140 of 160. Proper sneaks the people of Acer... How can this be ffs.

I deleted hibernation option ages ago, dunno what I was thinking.. I wasn't using it an it was disturbing me cause it screwed up the resolution once when i tried it.. I think I'll just throw this piece of **** out the window. Driving me insane.. Where are all the other Acer users who have this problem?

Friday, November 02, 2007 9:05 PM
  •  

I had this problem too. I was SO STRESSED about it. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! I did everything copperminecottage said, and it WORKED. THANK YOU!
    Saturday, November 03, 2007 6:57 PM
  • OK, finally got this one, or at least I do for the 975xbx2 users.  This just happened to me, sound was working perfectly on a computer I built with a 975xbx2 board, and vist ultimate loaded.  I couldnt figure this thing out for the life of me.  Most forums seemed to point towards hibernation, however, I couldnt install the update, it would say my system doesnt qualify.  But I do remember that my system went to sleep once and the problem occured shortly thereafter.  I also remember that when I was working as a PC tech, that occasionally a notebook computer would go into hibernation, then wouldnt come out.  So I tried that approach, turn the computer off, and remove the power cable, then with the power cable removed, press the power button.  At this point, youll actually see an LED or two light up (if equipped) or may see one of your fans jolt, this is dumping the capicitors, and any memory.  Then reconnect the power cable and turn the machine on.  It will go through the finding new devices process, and there it is.

For you notebook users, unplug from the wall and remove the main battery, then press the power to dump the caps.  The reconnect the battery and power cable (if needed).

-Senoj

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:59 AM
  • copperminecottage, thank you thank you thank you!
    I had tried EVERYTHING before this! Even talked to a support person in this chat thing. I had been trying things since last night and earlier today and nothing worked! I was about ready to just give us but I thought i'd read a couple more of these posts. Your solution worked amazingly! I can't thank you enough!!
    Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:24 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:12 AM
  •  

what do you recommend doing for this audio problem? i see lots of people found a way to fix this but i can't see the reply to see what they did. thanks
    Monday, November 19, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Hey all,
    I just upgraded my vaio notebook from XP to Vista yesterday. I have found many problems with it. I have called Sony Support and some guy, who I could barely understand told me something about him not having drivers and something else about the motherboard. To end the call he said that I should have bought Sony's vista upgrade package. When was I supposed to think about that while in future shop? I gave up with this guy and called Microsoft. They want 79$ to help me with the problem they have caused! Ehh, I think not, I already spent enough on the home premium package you would think they would help for free!

I found a way to fix my "audio output" problem I was having a few ways.

I simply restored my computer to an earlier date. (However I have only had vista a day, so anything I had downloaded and installed for other programs where missing, i.e Norton 360) This opyion may work for others who have just found the problem and have no reason not to restore to a date where your computer worked fine

After i un did my system restore I was back at square one with no sound. I tried this and it worked
    Follow these and click on them

-start
    -control panel
    -Classic view
    -system
    -device manager
    -Sound, video and game controlers (click the little + to expand)
    - right click the sound device
    - click update driver software 

Let this run and there you go you should have sound working again

Now I just have to go find some information on how to get my function keys working again on my keyboard, Find out how to re-install my MS office 2007 and find a way to get my computer to pick up wireless again!

Anyone have any ideas?

By the way, thanks microsoft, you robbing bastards

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:57 AM
  •  

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:08 PM
  • For the 975 board do this, turn it off, actull shutdown, NOT HYBERNATE.  after it is completely shut off, unplug the power, then press the start button on the front of the computer case and hold it for about 5 seconds.  Then plug the power back in and turn it on.  You may get the install new devices wizard.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Worked like a charm...Thanks!

Saturday, December 08, 2007 4:47 PM
  • Audio links have stopped working from my computer. The same links work on other computers. What's wrong?

Friday, December 21, 2007 11:34 PM
  • Same thing happened to me. 

Go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound-> Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers.

Expand it. Click the entry for High Definiton Audio Device and right click it with your right mouse button. Uninstall it.

Now put your PC to sleep.  And then restart it.  When it restarts it will reinstall the Audio Output device.

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 12:22 AM
  • You are an immortal. I was up half the night trying tech chain solution after solution. Yours worked and the quickest. I can't thank you enought.

Have a wonderful holiday.

TL

Friday, December 28, 2007 1:20 PM
  •  

Hello,

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:00 PM
  •  

I have the same problem on my HP Pavilion d4990y. Could not getting any help from HP tech support. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the driver. It didn't not work. I have the Creative Xtreme Gamer sound card. What is the solution to take care of this problem? Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 5:56 AM
  • CAN U HELP OR KONW WHAT TWO DO FOR SOUND BACK NOW THE PC  ?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 6:20 PM
  • For all who have a Sony Vaio PC and upgrade to Vista Ultimate you will lose your sound so I thought Id lend yall a hand and tell yall how to fix it. If your pc is a PCV- type or is a PCV-RZ14G you probably have the Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio driver. What I did was went to the sony website and put in my sony computer which was PCV-RZ14G and went to the original drivers area. The new driver that was listed there was a Yamaha driver. I downloaded it and installed it but when I ran the install it said that it was only for xp, shortly after vista alerted me that the driver was probably installed incorrectly. So i chose the option to reinstall using recommended settings and it pulled up the installer and installed the driver, then I was prompted to restart my computer so i did and after it restarted the sound magically worked! I hope this helps out some people with Sony's out there.

Saturday, February 09, 2008 7:51 AM
  • I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a Gateway computer.  After running my Operating System Disk, I had no sound.  I contacted Gateway and they sent me a detailed e-mail on how to delete the corruped Sigma Tel file and how to reinstall a new driver.   It worked great.  I have their e-mail if it would help.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 5:05 AM
  • I fixed mine.

Go to Control Panel

Open Device Manager

Go down to "Sound, video and game controllers"

I had the "Conexant High Defintion SmartAudio HD2" option

I clicked on that

It said that it was disabled

I enabled it

And my sound was back to normal

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:00 AM
  • i hear ya!this industry is too greedy! my computer manufacturer cant help unless i pay 2.79 per minute for their junky upgrade cd! i need help also.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:16 PM
  • audio device driver has become corrupted and needs to be uninstalled.
    Thursday, February 14, 2008 3:07 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

I have Windows vista basic OEMAct ...

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:47 PM
  •  

you need to copy this link ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35684.exe and click run... uninstall your current driver in the device manager in the control panel prior to running this link...

It will say failed a few times when installing, but once complete, it will be successful with sound... i just resolved this problem with HP on the phone!

Good luck!

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:03 PM
  • thanks this worked straight away

Monday, February 18, 2008 8:25 PM
  •  

Well i have the same problem, but i have a selfmade computer with a Creative Xtream Gamer soundcard and a Asus PB5 motherboard... any ideas?
    Monday, February 18, 2008 9:16 PM
  • This fix actualy worked. The only thing I did diffrently was respart my computer, but it did just like you said. When it restarts it automaticaly updated.

Thanks!
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:17 AM
  • We have had the same problem with the sound, when we up graded from Vista Basic to Premium that's when the problem started.  I spent the best part of a week going back and forth with Acer (Aspire) Computers and Microsoft trying to fix the problem.  With NO results.  Thanks for the site we will give it a try.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Thank you very much dude. I didn't sleep whole night serching for solution and here it was.
    Wednesday, February 20, 2008 2:32 PM
  •  

hej.jag behöver drivrutin för ljud...tack..assad_ali_82@hotmail.com

Saturday, March 08, 2008 2:22 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Saturday, March 08, 2008 6:48 PM
  • hej.jag vet inte vad måste jag göra.tack

Saturday, March 08, 2008 6:51 PM
  • hej.jag vet inte vad måste jag göra.tack

Saturday, March 08, 2008 6:53 PM

• copperminecottage, thanks a million buddy!! I have spent 4hrs trying to fix this #%#! and finally got it done. 

ADVICE: you might need to perfom the procudure twice as for the first time had no effect.  But it def works!
    Monday, March 10, 2008 1:17 AM
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH COPPERMINECOTTAGE!

I have a Gateway Laptop which uses SigmaTel Audio drivers.  After I upgraded from XP to Vista, I saw the X over my taskbar volume icon, but I knew the drivers were installed.  I tried your suggestion and it absolutely worked!

(1) Uninstall the High Definition Sound entry & software (check the box)

(2) Put the computer to sleep, and

(3) wake it back up!  THAT'S IT!

It didnt even take one minute!
    Tuesday, March 18, 2008 12:22 AM
  • please help me i have speakers but no audio an my computer what can i do seriously i need help

Friday, March 21, 2008 7:33 PM
  • yeaaaahhhh man, cheers, followed both solutions and well yeah my sounds back, but i'm thinking it had more to do with this one above though

cheers

Sunday, March 30, 2008 4:25 PM
  • Thanks Copperminecottage,

I followed your tip and it works fine.

Good on you. It was so simple so solve but I was looking all over the place for high tech solutions.

Fab
    Monday, March 31, 2008 4:10 PM
  • Hi  What is the solution?
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:58 PM
  • I'm having this same problem.  Where did you find the RealTek Vista_r165 software?

Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:08 PM
  • where do i put the check for the box cuz i cant find it

Thursday, May 01, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Thank you so much COPPERMINECOTTAGE for such wonderful solution to this problem. I had this problem with my Sony Vaio VGN-CR35G and I was lucky to have found this forum!

Friday, May 02, 2008 11:27 PM
  •  

I had this same problem after I installed SilverLight software for Vista on my Dell Inspiron Laptop (E1505/6400).  After searcing several different websites and not having any luck getting sound back on my computer I finally found a sight that worked.  Check out the following link...worked for me; hope it does for you too! 

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R147073&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=3&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=195627 

Sunday, May 04, 2008 4:45 AM
  •  dakotta wrote:

copperminecottage you're a genius! I talked to Dell about my upgrade from Vista Home Basic to Vista Business on my c521 and it knocked out my sound. They went through so many steps (very helpful) but in the end wanted me to contact MS.

I'm glad I did some searching before calling them. Your fix helped! Thank you SO much for posting it

Monday, May 05, 2008 12:05 AM
  • *** here's the e-mail I just sent the tech guy at my workplace ***

See http://www.crn.com/software/207500472.

This just happened to me (I listened to the automatic Windows Update and installed this optional update) - and I need to use my computer's audio to listen to watch and listen to [censored] DVDs for the [censored] project.

Vista people, if they haven't already got this update, really want to avoid getting it. It makes my computer unable to play audio anymore; even though device manager sees my audio hardware, Vista tells me down by the clock that "No Audio Output Device is installed".

And my computer's PC speaker beeps loudly every time a dialog box pops. It's driving me crazy (and, I suspect, those around me).

I found a Web site (http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general&tid=acac685a-fd01-4bb1-ac64-da14dbd1c35a&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1) where Microsoft recommended this RealTek driver (http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=23&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false) to fix it. I tried it, but it didn't work.

However, I just got audio working again. Here's how:

1. Go to to "Control Panel > System" (WindowsKey+Pause|Break)
    2. Click on "Device Manager"
    3. Open the tree "Sound, video and game controllers"
    4. Right-click on the audio device and choose "Properties"
    5. Select the "Driver" tab
    6. Click on the "Update Driver..." button
    7. Choose the bottom button: "Browse my computer for driver software"
    8. Choose the button _below_ the browse field: "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
    9. Choose the driver "High Definition Audio Device" (NOT "IDT High Definition Audio Codec")
    10. Click "Next"
    11. Click "Yes"
    12. Wait for the original Vista driver to be reinstalled
    13. Click "Close"

I hope no one else runs into this, but this fix worked for me. It doesn’t even need a reboot.

Monday, May 05, 2008 4:46 PM
  • can someone please email me back about a solution for windows vista no audio output because i have tried & read all the alerts and no one had a solution

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:34 AM
  • In Intel site, find this driver:

AUD_allOS_5762x_5713.6v_PV_IDTGUI_v68

Save it and run setup program.

Be happy

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Thank you!  My ex describes me as a total technoklutz..hence the username.  I had just had a new windows update installed and the sound was fine before that and then died...I would never have had the nerve to try things like roll back, so thank you!

Have a great weekend

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:48 AM
  • After much online reseach and headache I finally found a solution.  I tried everything from uninstalling and reinstalling 4-5 times, updating the driver, and reading through lots of forums.  After a break I came back to my computer with a new approach...Was so excited by how easy it was I figured I needed to share..

First; I went to the control panel, then device manager, and opened up the sound tab.  Right click on the driver; sigma tel high and uninstall the driver. 

Next; I opened up Dell support Center and went to drivers and downloads.  This opens up the dell support web site with your systems info.  Then I opened up the Audio tab which shows the driver and that it applies to STAC 92XX C-major HD Audio.  DOWNLOAD....and follow the easy to install instructions.  Within a couple minutes all was back to normal. 

Who can live without the sound on their computer...Best of luck 

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:04 AM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

I use a Notebook from HP dv2500

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:49 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

I use a Notebook from HP dv2500

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Friday, May 23, 2008 3:49 PM
  • I had the same problem after one of the upgrades. I, too, lost all sound and the speaker icon had a red "x" over it and it also had the same message "No Audio Output Device is installed". At first I kept trying to do the "System Restore" without any success. To resolve my problem, I went to to Control Panel, Hardware & Sound, Sound - Manage Audio Devices. In the "Playback" tab it first stated that "no devices are installed". I right-clicked and found that with the windows vista upgrade my "Speaker/HP" (RealTek High Definition Audio) was somehow disabled. All I did was select the enable option, hit Apply, then Save. Automatically the "Speaker/HP" device was reinstalled! I tested it right away, and have had sound since.

Saturday, June 07, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Thanks dude i dont know what i would have done if i did not how to fix this problem
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:13 PM
  • COPPERMINE's tip was priceless.... I reccommend it to everyone who experiences the same problem (before going through registry modifications and such). His advice requires you to delete nothing (because VISTA will simply re-install your hi-def audio device as soon as you come out of the sleep mode).

-Rigel

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:38 AM
  • Hey this is one of my posts and it worked for me http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3520480&SiteID=17
    Monday, June 23, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Hello Coppermine...I must thank you for your help. It worked like wonders!! My laptop is Toshiba Portege. I think it does not matter what brand of laptop we have. The Vista Update has caused chaos in the sound system. I had the problem following Windows Service Pack 1 update. Thanks again!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:03 PM
  •  

I have a Toshiba Satelliate U305 and have the same problem.  Sometimes it works, but 5/6 times it says no audio output device exists.
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:35 PM
  • I followed the advice from copperminecottage after having this problem on my Sony Vaio running Vista Home Premium and it fixed it straight away.  Cheers mate.  B

Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:22 PM
  •  

I'm a little behind updating my system to vista, but after my computer needed it's OS reinstalled, I installed Vista (which I wish I wouldn't have done btw).  Anyway, I lost my sound. I went to the Gateway website to download the info I needed but it didn't work.  After finding your post, I followed your instructions to uninstall the old and the software, etc and it worked!  Thank you!!!!
    Sunday, August 03, 2008 2:49 PM

• Thanks so much for your advice.  I followed your directions and it worked like a charm!!! 

I hope others with this problem will try this advice.  It was a quick and easy fix!

kdegs
    Monday, August 04, 2008 6:26 PM
  • OMG!  Thank you so much!  I have been without sound for about a month now!  I have taken my computer to Geek Squad and everything and they had no clue!  This totally worked for me!
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 8:05 PM
  • hey guys, i just wanna say ive been reading everyones problems and possible solutions and have been frustrated with the results. I have visited other forums and forms of help...but i used my own brain and solved this stupid frustrating little catastrophe...and im sure you guys will be kicking yourselves!

Im running vista ultimate x86 with 3 gig ram...so i tried go to control panel and go to hardware and sound and then go to device manager...
    Assuming vista has the same menus everywhere this will work....inside the device manager right click video,sound and game controllers...
    I tried updating this option loads of times but no luck....so i right clicked it again and clicked on the option which says... "scan for hardware changes"...and after about 3 seconds my sound was fully working and the red little cross in the bottom right hand corner was gone....i was so  happy and coulnt believe how simple this was....
    so there you go i hope this works for you and problems leave a post...Thanks
    ACE

Saturday, August 09, 2008 5:47 AM
  • how did you fixed it

Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:21 PM
  • hi mate go to my link below....there is an easy solution there!

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3725971&SiteID=17
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:08 AM
  • After downloading and installing the latest batch of Vista updates yesterday, my Sony VAIO went silent and I got the "No Audio Output Device" message. Very scary!  Tried restarting a few times without success, then Googled and found this thread.  Checked the various options via Control Panel, including checking Realtek drivers up to date.  I did not get as far as uninstalling any drivers or software, as the sound started working again after the following actions:

1.  Device Manager - Sound Controllers etc - Scan for Hardware Changes (still no audio device)

2.  Put computer to sleep and re-awakened (still no audio device recognised)

3.  Restarted computer - Realtek High Definition Audio icon reappeared along with the normal start-up chimes. 

OK, I had no sound for a few hours yesterday, but I have restarted a few times since and it's working fine.  I'm happy again, but I sure would like to know what went wrong and how it fixed itself again.  Anyone got any ideas?

Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:12 PM
  • I have a Samsung R60 and had the same problem after updating my Vista with a service pack...This solution worked immediately.

Cheers dude, this really helped me out

Pea
    Monday, August 25, 2008 1:06 PM
  • THANKS SO MUCH..I TRIED YOUR SOLUTION AND MY SOUND WORKED INSTANTLY.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 12:21 AM
  • thanks guys...feels good to know i helped and my solution worked for you...clareman...the problem was that sometimes the sound interfers with applications i.e installing updates or applications....you have to scan for hardware changes because the sound has changed although it is still there...you have o restart once or twice and then it will be 100percent a okay!
    thanks guys.
    Sunday, August 31, 2008 10:06 AM
  • I have a related problem, how did you go about?

Namwendwa

Monday, September 01, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Hi mate, go to my solution>>>  http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3821642&SiteID=17

and that should fix ur problem...let me know how you get on!
    Tuesday, September 02, 2008 6:10 AM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:12 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:12 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:53 AM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Please give me details on how you solved the no
    sound problem.  My no sound program happened
    after using the sleep shut download feature.  In my opinion its dangerous.  I would not use it again.

Thanks for displaying your no sound problem.

Billyjoe
    Carlsbad, New Mexico
    bjsltd4444@yahoo.com
    Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:45 AM
  • This happened to me on HP dv9000 series notebook after installing the Service Pack 1.  Same "No Audio Output Device is installed" message on red speaker icon in lower right corner.  This was corrected by going to Control Panel, Device Manager, Sound,Video and Game Controller and then opening this to see the device.  By "right clicking" on the device I was able to choose "update drivers" and selected to check on the Internet.  Within minutes, the drivers were found, installed, and sound is working!!!!  YEA!!!!  Why couldn't these instructions be given automatically after the Service Pack 1 download or a warning given before the download?  Good luck!
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:53 PM
  • Thank you.  Your message was truly helpful and I can now listen to my new Metallica CD.  Much appreciated!

Monday, September 22, 2008 6:04 AM
  • Hi All,

I am having the same trouble. Yesterday I had a windows Vista Update come across so I installed it and now I have no sound at all.

PLEASE HELP

PEACE,

Chris

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:41 PM
  •  

I just tried something and  IT WORKED . Go to control panel > then Device Manager >  Then  Sounds >  Then  Update Drivers.

Worked for Me Immediately.   Good Luck ,People

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:58 PM
  • Copper,

Thanks very much!  Wish I would have found your email earlier!

This works!!!!!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 12:03 AM
  • I WILL LIKE TO ACTIVE IT MY AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 11:01 PM
  • This worked perfectly................and was beyond easy!! Thank you so much for your help copperminecottage  your a life saver!!

Tambo1

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:55 PM
  •  gbeulque wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Geoffrey Beulque

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:07 PM
  • I'm having a like issue, I have a HP dv6308nr with Vista installed.  The sound worked fine until I loaded service pack 1. Now No Audio Outpu Device. any help would be great.
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 11:39 PM
  •  rugbyfan wrote:

I have the same problen on an Intel 975BX board. I have check drivers and all seems okay.

Thursday, September 25, 2008 10:47 PM
  • I have a Compaq Presario SR5550F and got the No Audio Output Device message. I tried what Copperminecottage suggested. It got rid of the message and I don't have the red x over the speaker icon, but I still don't have any sound... (except for the sound of my own voice telling my #@$$^% computer to smarten up, heh)  Any suggestions???

Saturday, September 27, 2008 1:33 AM
  • well I tried the copperminecottage solution again and it worked this time :-)

Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:21 AM
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I had spent all evening sweating over losing my sound. I did what you described and I am delighted to say my computer is working well again. I recommend everyone with the same issue to try this- it was quick, easy and did the trick!!

Cheers for the help

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you Copperminecottage,

Your post really helped me, Im happy I went on this site, I did install updates just to keep my computer up to date and then my sound fell silent, I followed your advice and VOILA I got sound Smile YAY

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Copperminecottage........your message was a life saver....I was about to go crazy. Thanks!
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 1:42 AM
  • Thanks! Worked GREAT!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:34 AM
  • It worked! You're the best. Thanks

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:33 AM
  • I've tried ur advice and it works!
    thank u very much~
    good luckSmile
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 12:49 PM
  • Okay...... this is probably a common error with the software write-up-transition, by which a lot people seem to experience when they are downloading/upgrading with VISTA!  

Check it out........ Solution?  Go to your Control Panel, then to Device Manager, and search for the Icon: 

Sound video, and game controllers. Double click on your sound device and then click on the Second Tab: Driver.

The 2nd spot there is a 'bubble', which states UPDATE DRIVER.  Thus, update your "Sound-Driver" and Wallahhhhhh......

Magic will hopefully happen for  you too.

Take care & Good Luck.

Sometimes models can figure out the Tech-World. www.modelmayhem.com Model #: E3

Thursday, October 02, 2008 7:41 PM
  •  

Friday, October 03, 2008 6:28 AM
  • I have an HP dv 8500 and solved this problem.

Start menu- My computer(right click this and then click "Manage"(under open and explore)

A computer management screen will then pop up

Under system tools- go to "Device Manager"

Click on "Sound, Video, Game controllers"

My sound manager was Conexant High definition SmartAudio (Odd cause I didn't have any sound... doesn't seem too smart!)

Anyway, double click on you sound device here and update it (mine had to search online for software, but it found it and updated it!

Then poof: there was no more little x over my sound symbol in the bottom corner!

Thank God... I thought this was gonna take me forever.. but try this for SURE!

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 2:57 AM
  • ya i had the same prob i just fixed it i just deleted the audio driver(conexant HD Audio)(vista home premium) in add remove programs. then it automatically reinstalld it and now it works fine
    Friday, October 10, 2008 1:00 AM
  • I installed service pack 1 for Vista and the same thing happened. Anyone know how to fix it?  Thanks

Sunday, October 12, 2008 5:56 PM
  •  copperminecottage wrote:

I believe I have a solution.

Scenario: I bought a new Sony Vaio on Sunday, and upgraded Vista to Vista Ultimate yesterday. Immediately the sound system fell silent. After following other suggestions I checked the updates I had installed following the upgrade to Ultimate. Windows and discovered that Update for Windows Vista (KB929685) says:

Here is what I did next:

In Conrol Panel -> System -> Select the Device Manager and find the Sound entry. Expand it. Click the entry for High Definiton Audio Device with the right mouse button. Uninstall it and the software too (check the box).

Now put the PC to sleep. When it restarts it will reinstall the Audio device. Meantime the update above (KB929685) seemed to have kicked in and PRESTO - sound again!

this did work actually. after trying to do loads of other really long stuff, this came out to be the fastest, best and only one that worked. Smile

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:37 PM
  • Copperminecottage...wot can i say...after finally updating my vista laptop & loosing all sound on boot-up....i bit the bullet after i stopped panicing & took ur advise..you are a god!!! lol

Thanx so much for the update...did as u suggested & job done. ta

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 5:54 PM
  • You're Da Man!!! (or Da Woman!!-

Ta, ta, ta, thanks big time....was so hard to work this one out!

Peace!

Saturday, October 18, 2008 4:17 PM
  • I am having the same problem.  I don't know what I did, only that recently whenever I log onto my computer I see the speaker symbol with a little red x next to it and when I scroll over it it says "no audio output device is installed."  This is on my Toshiba Satellite U305 laptop.  Anyone know how to fix this?
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 5:26 PM
  •  

None of the options had worked for me, but I managed to solve my problem. I hope this helps everyone = ) :

Control Panel,

Type Device Manager into the Search area,

Update Device Drivers,

Double-Click Sound, Video and Game Controllers,

Double-Click Conexant High Definition Audio,

Go to Driver,

Click Update Drivers,

Finally, click Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.

Hope this helped! Good Luck!

Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:13 PM
  • Thanks copperminecottage! Appreciate it!

Monday, October 20, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Thank You so much for this. I downloaded a ton of things that others had suggested on this web page and others and yours was the simplest and the only one that worked. THANKS!!!

Thursday, October 23, 2008 5:43 PM
  • I tried all of this and mine says that my driver is up to date and I still have the "no audio output device installed" message and the red x - any other suggestions? This happened after the update also...

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:12 PM
  • This solution just worked for me, even though i did not get a message about the update that you reference here. But I'm very greatful that it works.
    thanks again
    Goldie
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 12:30 AM
  • I have the same laptop model with you-Toshiba Satellite U305. And I have the same problem of my laptop too. Sometimes, no sound at my work place, but the sound came back after I went home several hours later. Sometimes thing went to the other hand, no sound at home, but with sound at my office. I tried every method that the forum provided, but helped nothing. I even put the PC to the Toshiba Repair Center and was told it's the hardware problem and needed to be repaired. But which confused me is, if it was the hardware problem, there should be no sound all the time, not sometimes. There must be some problem with the laptop, the design issue? the Realtek Sound Card issue? the OS-Win-Vista issue? No one can give me a clear answer. I think Toshiba must do something to solve the BIG problem of the type of laptop. Or, no one will buy Toshiba.

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:06 AM
  • thank u a million times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Monday, October 27, 2008 5:27 AM
  • m4real - thank you so much!!  For once something simple actually worked!!  I'm back in the tunes  and a happy girl once again. Merci!!

Monday, October 27, 2008 6:57 PM
  • I have Windows Vista and got this same message.  I went into panic mode bc it just worked yesterday. 

I solved the problem on my own though.

Here is what you do...

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SYSTEM RESTORE!

- go to control panel
    - choose device manager
    - something will pop up asking for permission to open (as always on vista) click continue
    - go to sound, video, and game controllers.
    - it will have your audio system there hopefully... double click to open
    - go to the tab at the top that says driver
    - click update driver

it will ask to search online... so you will have to be online...
    let it do that... it will find it... then install it.

and instantly the red X meaning mute will go away on your sound in the corner.

I normally dont reply to things like this and I wont ever check this again... but I know I was pissed so Im hoping this will help someone else out like me.  haha.

Good Luck!
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:28 AM
  • I recently lost sound through my own stupidity. I tried everything and was thinking of going to a service agent until I read your message. I had tried all sorts of other methods but only yours worked. Thanks a million you're a genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:49 PM
  • I went to Control Panel > Device Manager and under Sound, video and game controllers I found Realtek High Definition Audio and under there I saw Enable; I click on Enable and it installed my sound card back and now it works.

I hope this help.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 4:20 AM
  • Have you tried reinstalling the driver in Safe Mode?  That can do the trick, I read about it on www.noaudiooutput.com .  If that doesn't work they also have many other suggestions.

Monday, November 03, 2008 10:36 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Yolandi

Friday, November 07, 2008 10:45 PM
  • listen to coppermine.. i had the EXACT same problem as all of you do, "no audio output device installed".. i listened to his advice, took a minute to follow his instructions.. and got my sound back. THANKS VERY MUCH.. i thought thatd take a lot longer to find a solution.
    Saturday, November 08, 2008 10:19 PM
  • I had the same problem last night with my toshiba satellite, I had been online for only a few minutes.My sound was working and then quit. I had just downloaded the latest update for adobe flash player and it quit.I went to adobe and

downloaded the removal tool, rebooted and the sound came right back. I'm running vista also, I think the flash player

had to be the problem..

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:51 PM
  • I have the same problem.
    My sound was working earlier today.
    But when I just opened my laptop to bring it off standby,
    I noticed the volume icon has a little X that's different from just being on mute.
    My iTunes even said something was wrong with the sound,
    and the only sounds it makes are the beep noises when a window pops up.
    This is soo annoying, someone please helppp!
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:15 AM
  • Thank you so much.

It is works.

Yuriy.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:23 PM

Here is what I did next:

thank you so much!! this really worked for me Big Smile

Friday, November 14, 2008 11:21 AM
  •  

Sunday, November 16, 2008 3:38 AM
  • thank you so much, copperminecottage!  your solution was perfect.  and i really appreciate that you explained the solution in a step-by-step method.  it worked perfectly!  thank you, thank you, thank you!  i didn't want to have to get out the screwdriver and "unplug" anything... you saved me a lot of hassle!  thanks again!!!

Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:37 AM
  •  

Sunday, November 16, 2008 8:02 PM
  •  

hey this really works im so pleased i have sound again after trying hopelesly for weeks and it was so simple thanks for this advice heather

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Found it!!!!!!!!!

go on sounds. right click on realtek digital output. show disabled devices. enable. it will show speakers above. right click and enable. sorted
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:57 PM

Here is what I did next:

I have Vista and my sound mysteriously went out for no reason, with the explanation that no audio device was installed.  I tried your tip and it worked!  Thanks.  I have sound again.

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:50 AM
  • i have the same issue, running a ACPI x86 motherboard, and my audio worked completely fine on Windows XP, never once had an issue and i now installed (a clean install) Windows Vista Basic and get the "no audio output device installed".  my speakers are plugged in and everything, this is really really annoying and i hope someone comes up with a solution soon, it sucks trying to game or listen to music without sound =)

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:07 PM
  • Hey thanks man. Your solution totally worked. I have a Toshiba Satellite and my sound is up and goin again. Good instuctions, easy to follow.
    Monday, November 24, 2008 3:16 AM
  • The way I got it worked was by first uninstalling the sound driver (control panel > device manager) then restart the computer. If windows does not automatically re-install the driver then you can go to your manufacturers website to download it.

I remember sometime back that I did a System Restore and the sound started working back. However, avoid this if you can.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:33 PM
  • Copperminecottage what can i say you are a genius you have reincarnated my dell e1505 back to life again. Thank you ever so much. You ought to be hired by Microsoft. Thanks again.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Thank you so much. This absolutely worked.

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:07 AM
  • hey i read your problem and ironically i experienced the same,however i solved mine.  Here is how to solve,possibly:hit your start button, look for recovery manager,open recovery manager,as it opens look at the bottom for advance options, as that opens it will display a list of hardware,software etc. i suggest going into hardware and look for the closest thing to audio and hit next and follow the directions. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Friday, December 05, 2008 12:11 AM
  • wow you are truly the man, that worked for me man. thank you so much
    Friday, December 05, 2008 12:45 PM
  •  I BORROWED THIS HP FROM A FRIEND TO DO RESEARCH.  IN THE MIDDLE, I LOST THE SOUND!

I WAS READY TO PULL MY HAIR OUT WHEN I FIGURED IT OUT!

THIS IS AN HP.  VISTA HOME PREMIUM HAD UPDATED- THEN NO SOUND

JUST DO THE FOLLOWING :

SOUND CARD GLITCH

THIRTEEN EASY STEPS TO GETTING THE SOUND BACK ON!

WHEN SOUND QUITS WORKING :

1.       SHUT DOWN YOUR PROGRAMS

2.       RESTART THE COMPUTER

3.       CLICH START BUTTON

4.       OPEN CONTROL PANEL

5.       OPEN DEVICE MANAGER

6.       OPEN SOUND,VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS

7.       HIGHLIGHT & RIGHT CLICK CONEXANT HIGH DEFINITION AUDIO

8.       CLICK UPDATE DRIVER SOFTWARE

9.       CLICK SEARCH AUTOMATICALLY  FOR DRIVER SOFTWARE

10.   LET UPDATE RUN

11.   WHEN ITS COMPLETE, RESTART COMPUTER - THIS WON'T WORK UNLESS YOU DO

12.   WHEN THE COMPUTER RESTARTS THE KEYPAD VOLUME CONTROL WILL LIGHT UP IN ORANGE

(ON MY MODEL)

13.   TOUCH ORANGE LIGHT AND

YOU’VE GOT SOUND !!!

Friday, December 05, 2008 7:48 PM
  • I have Windows XP, and the fix you propose crashed my computer.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 11:24 PM
  • I did the Vista Home Premium today on my HP Pavilion and after trying every site to find out what was wrong with my sound card I ended up chatting with an HP tech who gave me this link and it worked!
    ftp://66.104.77.130/pc/audio/Vista_R213.exe
    Friday, January 02, 2009 2:34 AM
  •  To Copperminecottage,

Thank-you! I can't believe it was that easy. I have spent most of the day today trying everything! How did you find this out? Wow!
    Anywase it does work beautifully!

BeccaBoo
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:39 PM
  • hey people, well i just installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my HP Pavilion Slimline s7320n which originally came with Windows XP Media Center. Sound worked flawles on XP but as soon as i upgraded to Vista Ultimate i've been getting the speaker with a white and red X through it and when i mouse over it i get the "No Audio Output Device is installed". i've done the control panel driver update thing. i've done the uninstall reboot and reinstall thing. i've searched and googled every where online but no luck. i've gone to the HP website for specific drivers... nothing. when i go into my sound devices under the Playback tab it says "No playback devices installed" and under the Recording tab there are two things "Microphone / High Definition Audio Device / Not plugged in" and "Digital Input Device (SPDIF) / High Definition Audio Device / Working". for you smartass's out there, YES the damn speakers are plugged into the right thing. dude... what's wrong with my computer? HELP would be MUCH appreciated. 5 free hugs for the one that fix's this for me =)

here are my current PC specs as it would probably help:

Computer: ACPI x86-based PC
    Display Adapters: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) M Processor 1.60Ghz
    Sound, video and game controllers: High Definition Audio Device (WTF? -_-)

if you need any other PC info just ask me, please. it truely sucks having over 4 gb's of music when you can't listen to it.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:05 AM
  •  
    copperminecottage said:

Here is what I did next:

Thanks very much for the solution. Worked for me and now I have sound again!!! Very easy to do too, try this before downloading something new.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 11:02 AM
  • I've had my HP Pavilion notebook [w/ Vista Home Premium] for less than a week when this morning I turned my computer on and there was no sound. I got the message "No Audio Output Device Installed" when I hovered over the sound icon in the system tray. I found this site and checked everything. In my device manager, my only sound options were Bluetooth Stereo Audio and Bluetooth Hands-Free Audio. Nothing else. I was lost. I contacted HP and chatted with a technician on their support page and he said that the problem was most likely corrupted drivers and suggested system restore. I restored to the last update, which was two days ago, and my sound came back. I checked my device manager again, and now I have two more sound options: IDT High Definiton Audio CODEC and Intel High Definiton Audio HDMI. I have no idea what that means, but I assume my actual sound really was uninstalled. Anyway, it's all fixed now. Hopefully, for good.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:38 PM
  • copperminecottage YOU ARE THE ANSWER!
    Thanks for the sigmatel high definition audio codec fix.
    Monday, February 02, 2009 7:39 PM
  • this problem was holding my audio down for months! But hey I found a solution. It actually depends on your sounds card and drivers (if u have any). I've read everything there is on the web concerning that issue and I will tell you all the soolutions:

1. Right click on the sound icon next to the clock>then press playback devices> set to default and see if it works

2. Right click on my computer>click on Properties> go to device manager>expand the audio and game controllers section> uninstall the device with its drivers and restart vista

3. If you're using Toshiba laptop and got a realtek sound card  download the HD Sound drivers from www.realtek.com
    That should do fine for Realtek cards

4. Another one is to go to Safe Mode and see if you can uninstall the old driver from there (device manager again) and install the latetst ones

I have a HP Pavillion dv6500 and there wasn't a sound section in device manager at all!!! I thought that my card was damaged as everybody on the web with that problem had that section in device manager. Then I found a solution in a forum - DOWNLOAD UAA DRIVER!   Trust me people that works. I have vista home premium and downloaded that driver for XP  and still worked somehow!! Amazing! 

Hope this will help anybody. After all everybody has different components and reasons. And MICROSOFT PLEASEEEE make an update (fix) for that issue as so many people are experiencing it!!!

Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:53 AM
  • For those with a Vista Sound Driver/Device problem:

I have a Toshiba U305 S5127 running Vista and recently had the problem of losing my audio (no High Denition Audio Device) in the System Device Manager or under Sounds.

I reviewed quite a number of threads with suggestions to check services to make sure the audio serivce is running, it was) I restored the system to an earlier date (No Help), I reset the BIOS to default (No Help).

The one recurring item that showed up in multiple forums was to re-install the device drivers, as the computer will not see your sound device  without the drivers,  (which I did) multiple times, both under safe mode and under regular mode (no help).

I noted a tech net article that said you MUST unistall the driver before reinstalling (which I could under Programs and Features) which I did (No Help).

One last method I used was to uninstall using Programs and Features under Safe Mode, then restarted, SUCCESS!  The driver it is now using, rather than the RealTek is the Microsoft High Definition Audio Device.  Not going to bother with re-installing the RealTek driver, works good enough for me and "let a sleeping dog lie".

Hope this helps someone!
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Hi,

I downloaded the ac97 codec. When i executed the file it asked me about a 100 hundred times publisher not recognised. I kept on clicking "Continue Anyway". But it doesnt go any farther than that. I tried that for almost 2 hours.

My problem startd when i was trying to insert a graphic card. I dont know exactly when, I was cleaning my desktop I saw the NO AUDIO DEVICE IS INSTALLED ICON. I searched around the forums a lot.

I RE_INSTALLED MY WINDOWS. I had Vista Basic. Now I installed Vista Ultimate. Still the same thing.

I also noticed that Sounds,Games and Video Controller Option was missing from Device Manager. I tried to add new hardware in this category and tried to give Realtek Software and it said "Device could not start code(10)." I think this was not that good an idea but just trying to mention that the option is missing from my Device Manager.

I have tried every method that I have got hold off, installed high definition audio driver for realtek, even some other drivers and hotfixes, except the ac'97 codec one which is not getting installed.
    Its been 2 days and I have been without any sound.

Can some please help??

Sunday, February 22, 2009 3:32 PM
  • alien_3000 said:

this problem was holding my audio down for months! But hey I found a solution. It actually depends on your sounds card and drivers (if u have any). I've read everything there is on the web concerning that issue and I will tell you all the soolutions:

1. Right click on the sound icon next to the clock>then press playback devices> set to default and see if it works

2. Right click on my computer>click on Properties> go to device manager>expand the audio and game controllers section> uninstall the device with its drivers and restart vista

3. If you're using Toshiba laptop and got a realtek sound card  download the HD Sound drivers from www.realtek.com
    That should do fine for Realtek cards

4. Another one is to go to Safe Mode and see if you can uninstall the old driver from there (device manager again) and install the latetst ones

I have a HP Pavillion dv6500 and there wasn't a sound section in device manager at all!!! I thought that my card was damaged as everybody on the web with that problem had that section in device manager. Then I found a solution in a forum - DOWNLOAD UAA DRIVER!   Trust me people that works. I have vista home premium and downloaded that driver for XP  and still worked somehow!! Amazing! 

Hope this will help anybody. After all everybody has different components and reasons. And MICROSOFT PLEASEEEE make an update (fix) for that issue as so many people are experiencing it!!!

Please tell me which forum you found the solution. I downloaded KB888111(UAA for XP SP2) and the system did not allow me to install (My Laptop runs Vista Home Premium. Thanks!
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:30 AM
  • I am having the same problem as everyone else here but my computer does not even have a sound tab in device manager. when i go to audio in dxdiag, there is absolutely nothing there. Someone please tell me there is a solution!
    Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:30 PM
  •  
    You do not have sound card drivers installed correctly! At the control panel, the find system, open the hardware tab, find the sound card, sound card drivers installed on the can! Sound card driver normally comes in the CD-ROM!
    Saturday, March 07, 2009 12:17 PM
  • THIS IS A EASY, YET TRICKY FIX. IN MOST CASES THE SPEAKERS HAVE BEEN DISABLED MEANING THAT "NO AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE IS FOUND" GO TO THE SPEAKER ICON RIGHT CLICK> PLAYBACK DEVICES. IF THEY ARE DISABLED THE PLAY BACK DEVICES LIST WILL BE BLANK. GO TO THE BLANK AREA AND RIGHT CLICK, THEN CHECK SHOW DISABLED AND DISCONNECTED DEVICES. NOW THE SPEAKERS ICON SHOULD APPEAR. RIGHT CLICK IT AND ENABLE. DONE. AWESOME. SIMPLE.
    Monday, March 09, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I have Windows vista , my audio is'nt working...I tried through control panel the "scan for hardware changes" and it's not doing anything!  Is there any other solution? 
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:49 AM
  • This just happened to me yesterday, after installing Windows updates.

System restore didn't work, so I switched to safe mode, uninstalled the high definition audio devices from the device manager (including checking the box to delete the realtek driver), and on shut down and restart, the drivers installed successfully.

I tried a number of other options from this thread that didn't work for me, so I suggest the above to anyone else still having issues :)
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:52 PM
  • Hi all, I had the same issue as you all. I have a HP desktop computer. Finally I bought a software: driverscanner from Uniblue. It costs me 15dollars, and it presented me all the drivers necessary to have my computer up and running again. Fine solution. Greetz
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 1:38 PM
  •  copperminecottage...you are Brilliant!  Thank you, it worked!
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 6:35 PM
  • Thanks to copperminecottage!  Your solution worked!  I just purchased a new Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium Edition SP1.  The "No Audio Output Device Found" pop-up appeared about a week after I opened the box and started using it.  I can't confirm this, but the "no audio" problem seemed to have occurred right after I called Dell Support and completed a virtual CITRIX session in which the Dell rep took over control of my machine.  I was trying to get access to some pre-loaded movies that I had purchased via CinemaNow (a 3rd party vendor, and I'm suspecting that their drivers may have disabled the audio driver, but maybe not).  And I still haven't figured out the movie problem - even with 3 Dell support sessions.  Or it could have happened when I purchased (at the Dell reps suggestion) the Spy Sweeper program, which also somehow loaded up the annoying Microsoft Magnifier.  Thanks again!

Thursday, April 02, 2009 1:41 PM

• Copperminecottage,

It worked for me too,  Thanks !! Happy Easter!!

Tuesday, April 07, 2009 6:09 PM
  • This problem shows when you have installed the iTunes in your PC, try to remove it...

Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:09 AM
  • thank you "copperminecottage"!!! this worked PERFECTLY!!!  you ROCK!  ;)
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 11:43 PM
  • thanks heaps!!! looked around for ages followed what you said ,restarted my pc then boom there it was again.....
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 7:51 AM
  • Wow!!! Copperminecottage thank you so much.. I couldn't figure ot why my Gateway laptop didn't have sound.. I looked for all kinds of solutions including Gateway Tech Support itself.. You were the only working solution.. I hadn't had sound for months and I was so angry.. Thanks for the help!
    Monday, June 08, 2009 7:33 PM
  • just had the very same problem with my sony vaio today. used your advice, and in about 5 minutes it was fixed. thanks, worked like a charm!
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:04 PM
  • I just went to help in my start menu and clicked on "Microsoft Customer Support."  It brings up a page with top questions.  Down under Update Vista, click on "troubleshoot sound problems after you installa Vista service pack"  This will bring up another screen with a "Fix it for me" link.  Once you click this, an icon will appear and click that.  Run it from the pop up menu and everything fixes itself.  Easy as that.
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:38 PM
  • thanks a mill. i came accross ur post and it solved my prob to..
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 6:58 PM
  • Hi there thanks so much i just did the same way you advice and it work out for me . thanks a million time ....bless be
    Monday, July 06, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Thanks so much! You're my hero
    Wednesday, July 08, 2009 12:19 AM
  • OMG!!!!!!!!!!! THIS REALLY WORKS THANKS MAN

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:39 PM
  • Copperminecottage, thank you,thank you,thank you! What a blessing you have been,kirbycan
    Sunday, July 19, 2009 11:10 PM
  • It worked great, thanks Coppermine!
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:31 PM
  • Copperminecottage,

It worked perfectly, as you described it. Thanks!!!

Monday, August 03, 2009 5:54 PM
  • Yes!!! You have the solution!! I tried it with my Toshiba laptop and it worked. Graciassss!!
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 5:23 PM