none
pc keeps freezing during windows 7 installation

Question

• I ordered and built my new PC from Newegg.
    Core i5 Intel CPU
    p55 HA ECS motherboard
    4GB Mushkin RAM
    EVGA 260 GTX core 216 video card
    600 GB WD hard drive

I put the pc together and tried installing windows 7 about 15 times but the pc freezes during the expanding windows file stage of installation at different times.  I dont know what the issue is and if anyone could help that'd be great.  If anyone has any ideas that I could try please help.  I'm not the best with solving computer problems.

Sunday, November 15, 2009 10:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Try to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Meanwhile, you can type "Expanding files" in the forum, and you will find many similar issues that are resolved.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:28 AM
  • I am aware that some machines have problems with more than 2 GB of memory. I suggest checking to see if there is a new BIOS that can mitigate the problem.

I recall Vista users also had experienced this type of problem. Paring down to 2 GB, install the OS, and then reinstall the RAM seems to be the only way to get Windows Vista and now Windows 7 to even install.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try to update the BIOS to the latest version.

Meanwhile, you can type "Expanding files" in the forum, and you will find many similar issues that are resolved.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:28 AM
  • I have the same problem with an i7 core 920 MSI P55 motherboard.  These are brand new systems.  I'm not sure how to get a new bios onto a new system, hopefully calling the mb company will help, but if someone wants to comment on this is done that would be great.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:12 PM
  • goto ms's page and download the latest BIOS

http://msi.com.tw

There will be an executable you can run to update it.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe

Server: P4-2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, Linux Server, need IDE/SATA disks for my chess site

Workstation: Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, Athlon64 X2 4200+ 65W CPU, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA 8600GT, 320GB + 160G backup, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:31 PM
  • Do you want me to do this on the computer that has no OS, no browser, and no file system??

Or is there some magic way to download on another computer and move it to the computer with no OS, no file system, no ethernet and get it to run?

Maybe if we had a boot disk, but then we'd need a floppy or make a bootable CD with that image on it??

Remember, no OS, means no copy, no nothing.  My version of Win7 let's me do a clean install only (OEM version) so I don't think I can build a bootable disk.

So I did load XP on this box, just so I would have an OS, browser and file system.  If you think normal operation is to hang at the point that XP SP3 says, reboot to finish install is OK, then this works.  But now it won't boot either (because the saving personal settings step hung), so still no (useful) OS, no browser and no file system.

This was a package kit... pity the poor moron who randomly picks pieces together, and I'm a hardware engineer and can't get this going!!  I'm on my second mb, second DVD (which can be read by another XP system) and just flabergasted that it can be this hard to get an OS loaded!!
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 4:03 AM
  • OK Just found out if I remove memory and take it down to 2GB it will not hang.  I initially had 6GB RAM and was hanging.  Read another thread about some hang issues with bad memory and got to thinking.  I don't know if it will run with 4GB as I didn't try it.

When I had XP running, it got hung with 6GB also, and dropping to 2GB fixed that...

So I'm installing Win7 now with just 2Gb and will reinstall the remainder after Win7 is fully installed and running in 64 bit mode.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:06 AM
  • I am aware that some machines have problems with more than 2 GB of memory. I suggest checking to see if there is a new BIOS that can mitigate the problem.

I recall Vista users also had experienced this type of problem. Paring down to 2 GB, install the OS, and then reinstall the RAM seems to be the only way to get Windows Vista and now Windows 7 to even install.

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 5:25 AM