none
can't set monitor to native resolution ( widescreen, 1680x1050 )

General discussion

•  Hello,
    after installing win7 i can't seem to set my monitor to native resolution 1680x1050, i can set resolution up to 1600x1200 only.
    Tried to set custom resolution through nvidia control panel, checked to show non-supported resolutions and "forced" the 1680x1050
    but it did not change a bit.
    monitor's drivers are installed, all is in place and it should be working...
    Hope somone could give me a pointer what am i missing here.

specs:
    monitor: HP w2007v 20" widescreen, native resolution 1680x1050
    graph card: ASUS Gforce 8800 GTS 640
    mainboard: ASUS P5K
    cpu: Intel E6850
    using nvidia beta drivers: 181.22 for vista 64-bit

using drivers from windows update doesn't make any difference
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:33 AM

All replies

• How do you have the monitor connected to the card? through VGA cable, DVI or HDMI? as im running an 8600GT connected to a Viewsonic VA2216w at 1680x1050 connected through a VGA connection, only problem i have is i cannot set the Frequency to 60Hz, it keeps defaulting back to 59Hz all the time.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:05 PM
  • I am having the same problem the resoution keeps defaulting to 59hz after reboot and I have to reset. I'm running an 8800gtx, 768 mem, on an Asus crosshair mobo. 
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:23 PM
  • yes i'm using vga cable, frequencies are all good,
    i just can't set it to work in monitor's native resolution no matter what
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:25 PM
  • I have just installed the win7 rc build 7100 and I'm having the same issue. Interestingly, I have two identical panels, and one is working fine. Did you ever find a fix?

The working panel is detected correctly, but the second is detected as a 'generic non-PnP monitor' and cannot be set to 1680x1050.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:28 PM
  • I have just installed the win7 rc build 7100 and I'm having the same issue. Interestingly, I have two identical panels, and one is working fine. Did you ever find a fix?

The working panel is detected correctly, but the second is detected as a 'generic non-PnP monitor' and cannot be set to 1680x1050.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
    Hi

This thread was originally posted as an issue with the original beta version of Windows 7.

I would recommend you check for any updated Graphic Card drivers and firmware/driver updates for that monitor.

Also, how are the monitors attached to the system. The different behavior could be the Digital/Analog connections.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Thursday, July 02, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Hi, thanks for posting back.

My graphics card drivers are the latest from the nVidia website, and if I install monitor drivers for the monitor, then it changes from being detected as 'generic non-PnP monitor' to 'VGA Monitor' - but the issue remains, I cannot set widescreen resolutions.

The monitors are both attached as VGA socket ->VGA cables -> VGA - DVI converter -> DVI socket.

I have tried using just the monitor that is not being detected, using the cable and adapter from the working monitor, but the problem persists.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

[EDIT] To clarify things further, I believe the monitor was also not detected properly in Windows XP, BUT - I was not restricted in what resolutions I could choose. [/EDIT]
    Friday, July 03, 2009 10:55 AM
  • This issue has now been resolved for me.

The monitor is still not detected correctly (I believe the EDID chip may have gone), but I can now set it to the correct resolution.

The problem was resolved by updating to the new GeForce drivers from Nvidia.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 12:00 PM
  • Did you ever solve the problem?  I have the identical problem except my resolution is even lower.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 10:10 PM