none
Screen resolution keeps reverting back to default settings

Question

• My problem is that my screen resolution keeps reverting back to the original settings, from 1920 x 1080 back to 1600 x 900.  I also get a pop-up recommendation that I adjust the screen settings. 

I have a brand new Gateway SX-280107e desktop computer with Windows 7. 

I have a new Samsung SyncMaster B2330 monitor. 

This problem has existed since I first plugged it in, so it can't be any recent programs I have installed, and there is no point in restoring back to a time before this started happening.

There is no real pattern for when it reverts: it often reverts back after it has been idle for awhile, but it sometimes just reverts back after only a few minutes of idle time.  I'd prefer not to turn off my screen savers, so this is not a good solution.

Any help with this very frustrating problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suspect that the driver may not support the high screen resolution. I suggest you could take the following steps to check it:

1.    Please go to Gateway website to download the newest driver for your computer.

Gateway Support - Drivers, Software and Firmware Updates

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2.    If it is possible, please test this issue on another Windows 7 computer by the same monitor.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suspect that the driver may not support the high screen resolution. I suggest you could take the following steps to check it:

1.    Please go to Gateway website to download the newest driver for your computer.

Gateway Support - Drivers, Software and Firmware Updates

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2.    If it is possible, please test this issue on another Windows 7 computer by the same monitor.

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:53 AM
  • p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 9.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Verdana} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 9.0px 0.0px; font: 9.0px Verdana; min-height: 11.0px} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 9.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Sans'}

Just in case people are still having an issue with this problem, pls find below a solution which worked for me..

I've spent the last mth trying to solve this problem and "youemailme" (another thread herein) had the correct fix for me!! And so Simple!

I have noticed on Blogs that this issue has been around at least since Win98 so it's not your O/S or your computer.

The issue appear to be certain program(s) in your Start up Menu that has a different screen resolution set, thereby causing the screen resolution to change when you start your computer. So it's not a MicroSoft program error but rather a 'settings' issue.

With me what worked were 2 things:

(1) Perform the "clean boot process" as advised by many to determine which software program(s) was causing the problem.. and then,

(2) Right-click on the 'problem' program (as discovered in above) name in Start Menu>Properties>Compatibility.  For some reason, there's an option to "run in 640x480 (in my case - yours may be different) screen resolution", which was checked.  This particular program was in the startup folder, and was the cause of the problem.  Then unchecked the resolution box. No more problem.

I see there are a huge number of people battling this exact issue. Hopefully this 2 step process can resolve their issues.

(ps, Just thinking about it now, you can perhaps not even bother with the "clean boot process" but simply go thru all your programs in your Start Menu and perform the 2nd stage explained above. Should work?)

Cheers

Stephen

• Proposed as answer by StephenF1103 Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:56 AM
    Saturday, December 04, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Thank you both for your answers, Alex and Stephen.

I have tried both methods, but still haven't solved the problem.  I tried re-installation using the CD that came with the monitor again, but that didn't help with anything (I tried calling Samsung too, for help, but their customer service so far has been very poor.)

Stephen, how do I get to the "clean boot process" that you were talking about?  It seems that one of the problems I am having with the listed solutions is that I have Windows 7, which is different in many ways than previous editions.

Thanks,

--JM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 11:58 PM