none
Problems Burning discs with windows 7

Question

• Allright. So I am having problems with my DVD Drives. They're both LG GMA-4082N ATA Drives, And when i first installed Windows 7, I had problems burning discs, But I figured out how to fix it. Now for the life of me I can't figure out what I did to take care of it. I seem to be able to burn DVD-R Discs just fine, but anything else, like CD's or CDRW's, I can't burn with anything. When I go to burn, My computers will either say that they burned the disc and not burn anything, or the computers will just eject the disc immediately and give me an error code (0xC0AA0301) and say they could not write to device. I have two seperate systems doing the same thing. Have checked drivers, registry entries, and yet I can't figure out what I did the first time I had the problem to try it again. I really have to figure this out though. I have an old dell laptop with a messed up HD, and I need to reinstall windows XP for it, and all I have is an ISO of my system disc to work with.... I need to fix this and get that ISO on disc!
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hey Joel

Can't find the firmware update for my drive. I've got a PIONEER DVDRW K17B. Can you help me?
    All I want to know is if the cd burner works fine and I have a driver/firmware problem or if I should get a new one? Is there any app to test the CD DRIVE?

Thanks
    Nicolas 
    You have tried googling "drive model firmware upgrade"?

Did you check Pioneer's website for a firmware upgrade?

If you have the Nero burning suite, you have CD drive test apps already installed. If not, google the apps and see you can find standalone versions of them. Since the OS I'm in right now does not have Nero, I am going off of memory on this...
    There is Nero InfoTool, Drive Speed, CD Speed, see if any of those help with the burning process.

You can also try the error-checking features built into ImgBurn (imgburn.com ), to see if the drive burns correctly.

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back, promptly if possible with its results...

Click here for my thread on Win7 min. system requirements
    - JoelbX
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:04 PM

All replies

• Have you tried using different burning software like ImgBurn?

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back with its results...

- JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Hankey Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:43 PM
  • Hey! I have the exact same problem. Could you figure out how to solve it?

Thanks
    Nicolas
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:00 AM
  • Have you tried the same solution I have given already?

Hello! Please try every solution given to your problem...and reply back, promptly if possible with its results...

- JoelbX
    • Proposed as answer by Mohanan123 Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Seems to be that your drive is returning to the comp an error which cannot be pushed in the corner, so to speak.

Lokking at this link the error code stated means:

E_IMAPI_UNEXPECTED_RESPONSE_FROM_DEVICE
    (HRESULT)0xC0AA0301

The write failed because the drive returned error information that could not be recovered from.

Sounds like your drive is having problems. Have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware?

- JoelbX
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:08 AM
  • Actually I intended to, but couldnt boot from the usb drive to upgrade the firmware (it says no boot system). However I will try again, since you're giving me a hope....
    Will tell ya my results...
    Thanks for your quick answer
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Hey Joel

Can't find the firmware update for my drive. I've got a PIONEER DVDRW K17B. Can you help me?
    All I want to know is if the cd burner works fine and I have a driver/firmware problem or if I should get a new one? Is there any app to test the CD DRIVE?

Thanks
    Nicolas 
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:01 AM
  • So I do have the latest firmware, And my systems are well above the minimum requirements for win7. I had this problem with the same error code when I was running the beta, and I figured out what the problem was. It was something really stupid and tiny, but now since I have installed the RC I can't remember for the life of me what it was that I had to do to take care of the problem. I have tried using all sorts of different burning programs, but that hasn't done anything for me, some of the programs just lock up instead of reporting the error, and I have tried programs that are set to run under win7. I will keep trying to see if I can resolve this problem, And when I do I will post the fix.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:19 AM
  •        I have the same issue, when i burned a bootcd( hiren's boot) with UltraIso 9.0, the process just fine but when you stick verify the error message appear, Although it's said that burned successfull but I can't use this CD , This issue didn't appear when i burned a DVD-R discs.
           I'll appreciate with your support.
    Thanks
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Hey Joel

Thanks
    Nicolas 
    You have tried googling "drive model firmware upgrade"?

Did you check Pioneer's website for a firmware upgrade?

If you have the Nero burning suite, you have CD drive test apps already installed. If not, google the apps and see you can find standalone versions of them. Since the OS I'm in right now does not have Nero, I am going off of memory on this...
    There is Nero InfoTool, Drive Speed, CD Speed, see if any of those help with the burning process.

You can also try the error-checking features built into ImgBurn (imgburn.com ), to see if the drive burns correctly.

- JoelbX
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 4:04 PM
  • I had the same problem with my HL GSA-T1ON for quite a while.  I used Roxio, CyberLink DVDProducer, and the built-in DVD-burning utility in Windows 7, but none of them worked.  Today I downloaded imgburn and it just go perfectly.
    • Proposed as answer by Brian Hankey Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:15 AM
  • You can try this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete this key after back up your regedit and then open device manager ->uninstall driver of DVD-RW. Rescan device and try to burn.

Good luck and let us know if this was the problem.
    • Proposed as answer by igalep132 Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:26 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 6:47 PM
  • You can try this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11­CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete this key after back up your regedit and then open device manager ->uninstall driver of DVD-RW. Rescan device and try to burn.

Good luck and let us know if this was the problem.
    worked for me
    Tanks !!
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:26 AM
  • It didn't work for me. I deleted those entries, then went to System Properties and deleted the devide. Finally went to "look for devices" and it was found and reinstalled. The new registry entry changed but after I burned a cd without problems, there was nothing on it!

Any help?
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 2:24 AM
  • where do you find this key please?
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:03 PM
  • Using Belarc Advisor I determined my failing drive type, and updating its firmware from the -6 to -7 level allowed me to make a Win7 Pro x64 Repair Disc. It was necessary to install the firmware update immediately after a restart, and of course a restart after firmware install was also done.
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 3:04 AM
  • Joel - Your suggestion to try imgburn was excellent.  After trying the firmware upgrade route with no success, I did imgburn and it worked like a champ!  Thanks!
    Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:09 PM
  • I updated my firmware for my drive - this did not fix the problem, however deleting the registry entry indicated above and removing/re-finding the drive in System Devices solved the problem.  Many Thanks
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:00 PM
  • I had the same problem with my HL GSA-T1ON for quite a while.  I used Roxio, CyberLink DVDProducer, and the built-in DVD-burning utility in Windows 7, but none of them worked.  Today I downloaded imgburn and it just go perfectly.

I had the same problem since i started using my IDE DVD-R as an USB DVD-R ( my new motherboard does not support IDE).

ImgBurn solved my problem.

Tuesday, June 01, 2010 11:00 PM
  • I found a post that said turning off UAC enabled CD/DVD burning.  This solved the problem for me.

What I don't understand is why Win7 would prevent CD/DVD burning by default.  What is the risk?

There should be a way to allow this behavior without completely disabling UAC.

Steven

Owner/Chief Engineer, Top of the Hill Music
    • Proposed as answer by Steven Bell Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Using regedit under Windows 7 x64 Ultimate I am unable to delete this key.  It says "Properties can not be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened.  Details: Access is denied."  Any advice?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 11:46 AM
  • Two things I have learned:

1. You don't have to disable UAC, just run your software-burning program (or Windows Explorer) as Administrator.

2. Windows prevents burning when you Remote Desktop onto  machine.  Now sure how to get around this one.

I have several machines that I operate from one central keyboard/monitor location.  I shouldn't have to have a keyboard/monitor for each box in order to burn a disc.

Steven

• Proposed as answer by Bloodheaven Monday, December 20, 2010 5:39 PM
    Thursday, September 16, 2010 5:01 PM
  • I had all these same problems.  Running imgburn as Administrator solved everything.  Thanks!

David, SHCA

Friday, September 17, 2010 9:06 PM
  • Two things I have learned:

1. You don't have to disable UAC, just run your software-burning program (or Windows Explorer) as Administrator.

2. Windows prevents burning when you Remote Desktop onto  machine.  Now sure how to get around this one.

I have several machines that I operate from one central keyboard/monitor location.  I shouldn't have to have a keyboard/monitor for each box in order to burn a disc.

Steven

Burning was fine.

I tried to "remote desktop".

Buring was no more fine.

I see your message, didn't see the point (soooo unlogical) but tried it anyway.

Worked like a charme just by disabling remote desktop.

Clearly a point to check in order to solve this stupid problem.

Thank you so much Steven :-)

Monday, December 20, 2010 5:42 PM
  • Don't bother with any of this, just go to http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

And run the fix there. Sorted

• Proposed as answer by clarkholmes Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:48 AM
    Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:38 PM
  • I have the same problem but the fix doesn`t work for me...
    Neither the registry tweak, neither the ImgBurn ran as Administrator

:)

Everything looks okay, but when i take the CD in hands and take a look at it`s surface it looks like empty... When i Put it in the CD the computer also says that it`s empty and I can burn it over and over again as many times as I wish :-)... I tried with my notebooks integrated CD urner (Sony Optiarc), Also tried with an external CD/DVDRW (made by Samsung) and the problem is the same.

I`ve tried the External USB CD-DVDRW on my another computer (Runing windows XP) and everything`s okay... 

Friday, March 04, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Kiril, I suggest that you report your issue in the Windows 7 Hardware Compatibility forum , you might have more luck there.
    Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk
    Monday, March 07, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Tim, I`ll give it a try.
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 7:35 AM
  • I got error: system repair disc could not be created 0xc0AA0301 on my HP Pavillion using Windows 7 64-bit. I was using Memorex 52x 700MB CD-R. I then used TDK CD-RW 1-4x speed 700MB and the repair disc was created successfully.
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011 6:59 PM