none
Usable RAM in Windows 7

Question

• I just installed 8 GB RAM in both my wife's and my compuers.  Both are running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.  When I do a system check on both systems, her computer says 8 GB installed, but mine says 8.00 GB (3.25 GB Usable).

What does this really mean?  All the tech forums says this should only happen in 32-bit versions of windows.

Thanks,

Matt

HVH
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 2:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• You need to find and enable memory remapping in your motherboard BIOS.

Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Meanwhile, you could check if you have set the maximum memory in msconfig, if so, uncheck this option:

Msconfig.exe>Boot>Advanced options>Maximum memory

You could also refer to the following article:

The usable memory may be less than the installed memory on Windows 7-based computers

Hope it helps.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue in the thread. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance. :)

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 02, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

BTW, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Alex Zhao

Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:22 AM
  • Sorry for the long overdue response.  Your original post helped a lot.

Thanks,

HVH

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:15 PM