none
Using Windows Defender & Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)on Windows Vista 32bit platform

Question

• I have been using Windows Defender for a number of years on my laptop. After reading a topic on on of your forums stating that this product does not scan for viruses I downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials a few weeks ago. since this time I have not been able to turn on and update Windows Defender. As I am not very pc literate can you please advise on whether or not I can use these two products together. If I am able to run the two products together then why is that I cannot access Windows Defender when using MSE?
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are running Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need to run Windows Defender. Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to disable Windows Defender in order to manage the PC’s real-time protection, including anti-virus, rootkits, Trojans and spyware.

Reference:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msestart/thread/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Sunday, September 05, 2010 4:26 PM
  • On Sun, 5 Sep 2010 16:18:17 +0000, accesspatricia1949 wrote:

> I have been using Windows Defender for a number of years on my laptop. After reading a topic on on of your forums stating that this product does not scan for viruses I downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials a few weeks ago. since this time I have not been able to turn on and update Windows Defender. As I am not very pc literate can you please advise on whether or not I can use these two products together. If I am able to run the two products together then why is that I cannot access Windows Defender when using MSE?

Microsoft Security Essentials turns off Windows Defender, and for a
    very good reason. Microsoft Security Essentials has the same
    functionality as Windows Defender built into it; there's no reason to
    have both.

Ken Blake
    Wednesday, September 08, 2010 1:29 AM