none
Unable to enter product key or activate Windows 8 Enterprise x64 RTM (Technet)

Question

• I've downloaded the Windows 8 x64 Enterprise RTM bits from TechNet, the key supplied with it is a MAK key. I installed the product and was not prompted for a license key. After it was installed I attempted to change the key and there is no option to, there is already a key installed and the partial key displayed is not my key. When I try to activate anyway, I get the following error message which is what you would usually get with a KMS key entered without a KMS server present:

Error code: 0x8007232B

Error Description: DNS name does not exist

The springboard blog states you can use KMS or MAK keys, but it almost appears that the media TechNet is providing is VL with a pre-installed KMS key.

I tried the usual:

slmgr.vbs -ipk slmgr

But I get the error: 0xC004F050 The software licensing service reported that the product key is invalid.

Is anyone aware of a problem with the TechNet media being provided? Or any other solution to this?

-Keith

-Keith Elkin

Friday, August 17, 2012 2:09 AM

Answers

• Ok... the one thing I didn't try worked, so if anyone else has this problem.. try this:

Right-Click the lower left corner, select Command Prompt (Admin)

type SLUI.EXE 3 [ENTER]

Type your MAK key in and click "Activate"

-Keith

-Keith Elkin

• Marked as answer by Keith Elkin Friday, August 17, 2012 2:17 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:17 AM

All replies

• Ok... the one thing I didn't try worked, so if anyone else has this problem.. try this:

type SLUI.EXE 3 [ENTER]

-Keith

-Keith Elkin

• Marked as answer by Keith Elkin Friday, August 17, 2012 2:17 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 2:17 AM
  • Thanks a lot! I was having the same problem.

Mike Collins

Friday, August 17, 2012 5:23 AM
  • This worked for me.

I had exactly the same problems after upgrading Windows 7 Enterprise x64 to Windows 8 Enterprise x64. "SLUI EXE 3" does the trick.

John

• Proposed as answer by JamesScottJr Sunday, September 02, 2012 8:00 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 7:52 AM
  • Just to add to this.  To get the run box I pressed the Windows Logo Key and R.  I then entered "slui 3" as suggested and it presented me with the product key box.  I pasted in the key and it did a quick check before presenting the activate button.  I clicked that and it activated.

Strange that this seems to be the only way to enter a product key.  You'd think Microsoft would have put this with the Activate Windows under PC Settings.

Best Regards Randy Chapman

Friday, August 17, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Yeah, it's a shame... I used to be in the technical beta program (since NT 3.51) and issues like this would never had made it into RTM. I noticed even in the control panel there are text labels they didn't udpate such as "Windows 7 Restore" (or something similar, not in front of it right now). They disbanded the program without so much of an announcement or anything to us, the end result is a rushed product with bugs that would have been caught. Thanks MS.

-Keith Elkin

Friday, August 17, 2012 1:37 PM
  • Thanks Randy and Keith....you guys rock !!
    • Proposed as answer by tacheung Friday, August 17, 2012 5:52 PM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Thank you Keith, this works.
    Friday, August 17, 2012 5:53 PM
  • You can also do this by going into the run command (Press the Windows key + e) and enter slui 3 and press return
    Friday, August 17, 2012 10:33 PM
  • I have this error help me 

error code 0xC004F074

the software licensing service reported that the product could not be activated 

no key management service (KMS) could be contacted. please see the application event log for additional information

Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:35 AM
  • Thanks! Worked great for me!
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 6:59 PM
  • Thanks, this solved my problem!

Sunday, August 19, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Kieran,

The marked answer of this post applies to your problem as well, assuming you are trying to enter a MAK key and not use a KMS key. Use the instructions on this post to enter your MAK key and you will be able to activate Windows.

type SLUI.EXE 3 [ENTER]

-Keith

-Keith Elkin

Monday, August 20, 2012 4:01 PM
  • For me the command

slmgr.vbs -ipk xx

(replace xx with Enterprise edition product key) in an administrative command prompt worked without problems.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Thanks Keith! This worked for me as well.
    Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:29 PM
  • Thanks Keith!!

Was having this Same Issues Saturday Afternoon when trying to Activate the software.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Great worked for me
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:44 PM
  • Yuppy...... this did the trick for me..

Thank buddy.

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:13 AM
  • This was a really helpful post and accurate.
    Tuesday, September 04, 2012 4:52 AM
  • Just want to clarify myself and for the others. How long will this activation last? Is there a time limit for this. Thanks to you wonderful people for posting this discoveries.
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:24 PM
  • Thanks Keith !
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Just want to clarify myself and for the others. How long will this activation last? Is there a time limit for this. Thanks to you wonderful people for posting this discoveries.

Usually the keys for the Technet software releases (at least those which were not explicitly named trial) have not been technically time limited, and I assume this is still the case.

Since Microsoft has changed the Technet agreement, but not yet all users have already an contract based on the new agreement, I doubt that the new keys are getting some technical limitation besides the usual checkups.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:19 AM
  • That worked for me as well. Thanks.
    Friday, October 19, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Tnx Keith, this worked for me
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Thank you.

Alex Garcia

Thursday, October 25, 2012 4:17 PM
  • Works! thanks!
    Friday, October 26, 2012 11:19 PM
  • 100% works fine if you have that problem:

1) Run CMD (as admin)
    2) Type:

- Win 8 Pro: slmgr.vbs -ipk NG4HW-VH26C-733KW-K6F98-J8CK4
    - Windows 8 Enterprise: slmgr.vbs -ipk 32JNW-9KQ84-P47T8-D8GGY-CWCK7
    - Windows 8 Enterprise N: slmgr.vbs -ipk JMNMF-RHW7P-DMY6X-RF3DR-X2BQT

slmgr -skms 147.134.1.42:1688

slmgr.vbs -ato

3) Taadaaaaaaaaa......done !!!!!

--------------------

Thong Le

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:07 PM
  • Thanks.. That Works Keith..

Nandha Kumar J Techincal Consultant Chennai, India

Friday, November 02, 2012 6:43 AM
  • That was.. confusing..  What's up with that MS? Anyway, thanks for the tip.  It worked great.

Dirk Watkins

Monday, November 05, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Did you really just post your license keys for everyone to see?

-Keith Elkin

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 9:28 PM
  • Thanks a lot Keith Elkin. I was having the same problem . Now solved . But one thing I wonder , every thing seems complex here in Windows 8 . From Windows activation to minimizing a window ! Its indigestible , everything so complex ! 

Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Thank you Keith... this worked for me.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:34 PM
  • Just a comment - the whole reason you are entering the key this way is because this is the Enterprise edition - it is supposed to use KMS in a corporate environment, so this is by design behaviour. If you are unhappy with this behaviour, download the Professional edition instead - there is a usual dialog box for entering the key.

James

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Thanks a lot it worked....
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Works thanks
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:50 AM