none
Windows 8 stuck at configuring updates 12%

Question

• I got this same error twice in a row, first time I refreshed my pc, tried to install updates again only to land at same 12% mark. What do I do? Can I just not install the updates? I am running an hp Pavilion g7-2245nr I have no idea what to do too get past this, should I just return the computer? I'm currently on the advanced options screen waiting for some help on what to do. 
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:26 PM

Answers

• I got this same error twice in a row, first time I refreshed my pc, tried to install updates again only to land at same 12% mark. What do I do? Can I just not install the updates? I am running an hp Pavilion g7-2245nr I have no idea what to do too get past this, should I just return the computer? I'm currently on the advanced options screen waiting for some help on what to do. 
    Hey man

Do not stress. Basically you have to manually do the updates. The steps with details are outlined in a tutorial I made. 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=74C0E9A8C6373F8E!1461&authkey=!AESzCOcfmEftHtg

There is one for using windows 8 gestures and the other is regarding the update freeze. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you need any help! 
    • Proposed as answer by Yaqoob Jamal Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:47 AM
  • I'm having the same problem right now. Found this when I was searching. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2777330
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:30 AM

All replies

• I ran into a similar problem while setting up a friends new computer this past weekend that had Windows 8.  I had it do Windows updates and it installed 12 updates.  After the reboot it got stuck on 35% and after around 8 minutes, it gave a quick error that updates couldn't be configured and it rebooted.  It went through the updates again and got stuck at the same 35% and again rebooted, but this time I didnt' see the error.  Then after this reboot, it 'paused' at the 35% for around 4 minutes but actually went through and finished them.  (It gave me very little confidence that the updates actually got installed, or that this problem won't happen again on his computer.)

I've seen comments where folks recommend if you're stuck to reboot and quickly press F8 repeatedly to go into Safe Mode and the run "msconfig" and remove the startup line(s) that are running the Windows Updates.  However, even if this works and it gets you get into your Windows after the reboot, won't the same error occur the next time you do updates??  Regardless, this problem does seem to have occured to multiple people with their Windows Updates getting stuck and I don't think anyone really knows why it is happening, which is not very comforting when you see your pc has updates to install and you wonder if you install them will it get stuck!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:51 PM
  • I suppose its a bit comforting knowing other people are having the same problem, but the fact that there is no solution is worrisome. Do you think I can continue using my pc without installing any of the updates, or is that out of the question and should I simply return it and downgrade back to windows7?
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:02 PM
  • I'm having the same problem right now. Found this when I was searching. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2777330
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:30 AM
    Hey man

Do not stress. Basically you have to manually do the updates. The steps with details are outlined in a tutorial I made. 

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=74C0E9A8C6373F8E!1461&authkey=!AESzCOcfmEftHtg

There is one for using windows 8 gestures and the other is regarding the update freeze. Good luck, feel free to PM me if you need any help! 
    • Proposed as answer by Yaqoob Jamal Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, December 04, 2012 2:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:47 AM
  • I suppose its a bit comforting knowing other people are having the same problem, but the fact that there is no solution is worrisome. Do you think I can continue using my pc without installing any of the updates, or is that out of the question and should I simply return it and downgrade back to windows7?

To be honest, I don't know how to answer this.  I suspect the updates will try and install again on a reboot or shutdown, so who knows what will happen to you then.  If Yaqoob is correct that you have to install them one at a time, then that will be a mess for folks experiencing this problem, because they aren't going to want to do this, let alone understand how to do it.  (Nor should anyone have to!)

Windows 7 is certainly a stable and proven product, so nobody could fault you for downgrading back to it.  (I still run it on my primary desktop at home and have no intentions of upgrading.)  If you like Windows 8, then maybe give the updates another chance and see what happens.  But if this problem keeps persisting I think you have to ask what is more important to you personally, having a computer that works and you trust will not break again the next time updates come down, or having Windows 8?

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:14 PM
  • I have the same computer and the same problem happened to me. After an hour on the phone with HP it turns out my computer had a HARD DRIVE FAILURE. I just bought it Sunday Nov. 25th. They want to send me a new hard drive. I am returning the computer to BestBuy and get something else.
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Ahh, thank you so much. I just purchased this new laptop with Windows 8 and experienced this problem.

My updates are currently in process (manually!).

Also, I plan on changing my settings to ask before updates are performed in order for me to manually do the updates in the future rather than waiting an hour...

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:34 AM
  • Actually. I take this back...

Once I restarted it manually, the same thing occurred... This is so frustrating.

Thursday, November 29, 2012 4:42 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with my Thinkpad T430. Gets to 15%, fails, reboots and reverts to previous state. Very frustrated too!

Thursday, November 29, 2012 5:39 AM
  • Try to install the updates in clean boot to avoid other program confliction.

Clean boot
    --------------
    1. Press Win+R to call Run box. Type msconfig and click OK to start the System Configuration utility.
    2. On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. 
    3. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    4. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:13 AM
  •  anyone figure this out yet i have a hp g7 2251 dx and the same issue ye this sucks . it had the green check marks for norton for the first 5 min then they dissipated, it says my trial version has expired but its 2 days old? it wont run google chrome has to buffer videos but plays fine in firefox . had a toshiba for the last two years and was happy  i thought laptops were suppose to get better ??  this is my second laptop in two weeks i just got this on the 27th at night had it just over 48hrs. i took back a way k55a asus that lost internet connection and shut is self off for no reason oh boy what luck . i had a acer tab running windows 8 . and i loved it... but i do not like it on a non touch screen for sure..
    Friday, November 30, 2012 6:17 AM
  •  oh forgot one other odd thing my hp says asus on the desktop.  just like the one i took back whats up with that??
    Friday, November 30, 2012 6:20 AM
  • Same issue here on a HP Pavilion G7 with AMD Vision A6 processor.  

After hitting F10, now my laptop is in "Failure configuring Windows updates.  Reverting changes DO not turn off your computer" for the past hour.

I hate Windows 8!!! 

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Same problem. I just bought a HP Envy m6. Ive had it for a total of four days, and I am beyond frusterated with it. It keeps getting stuck at 12%. I realy hope there is a fix for this soon, because I now have one expensive paper weight.
    Friday, November 30, 2012 7:23 PM
  • i also have the envy m6 if you do advanced options and reset to a previous date you should be fine for a couple days until it tries to install updates again. its a band aid but gives you more time for them to come up with a solution for this. You can still use all your computers functions
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 3:59 AM
  • It appears that there is a conflict with some audio drivers and this is causing it to hang on startup. You need to uninstall the audio drivers, install the updates and then re-install the audio drivers - See this post:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-e-g/HP-laptop-will-not-download-windows-8-updates-past-13/m-p/2187009#M118496

Saturday, December 01, 2012 5:30 AM
  • Hi

Please install your updates one by one and wait for the configurations of your OS for a longer period of time and the process of the configurations of your computer will contiune.

Saturday, December 01, 2012 1:46 PM
  • This the same problem I have and I don't think it matters what type of computer you have. Microsoft needs to figure it out because this is bull. I should not have to get online every time my computer has to update to see if others have figured out how to fix it. Microsoft needs to get it together and fix the PROBLEM!
    Monday, December 03, 2012 1:31 AM
  • my asus updated fine had it for two weeks . i should not have to do anything special to update my new laptop
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:26 PM
  • I have the Lenovo Twist running Win 8.  I also have the update stuck at 12% issue.  This is definitely a Win 8 issue and has nothing to do with your computer, since there are many makes and models in this discussion.  I agree with Nat3674: Microsoft, fix this!
    Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:37 AM
  • My computer is stuck on 12%  how do i get out of this to try anything else? i did put the computer off and when putting it on I got the same blue screen, how do I quit this updating thing.

thank you

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 9:30 PM
  • "Press Win+R to call run box"   ????   Win+R ??  what is that? Is there a "Win" key?
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:02 AM
  • I have had a very similar issue, with a brand new lenovo G580, i tried all of these and none of them seemed to stop it getting stuck on 15% and then failing, so i decided to try and install the ones that would, by installing the oldest first one by one restarting where needed, and it worked!

finally and completely all drivers now reinstalled :)

thanks everybody for your support

Thursday, January 03, 2013 6:55 PM
  • I just submited the same error to the forums...

Microsoft, Why is not fixed yet?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 9:09 PM