none
[SOLVED] Troubleshooting installing windows "Setup will continue after restarting your computer" - black screen

Question

• I have a laptop Dell Inspiron M5030 and did something wrong. I tried to make a bootable flash but instead of disk 1 i cleaned disk 0 and my disk drive D disappeared. I managed to return it but I couldn't add or delete files from it. Then I recorded windows 7 on a DVD and shut it down. (The computer was really slow I think it didn't shut down and I unplugged it.)

The next morning I tried to turn the computer on but it showed "NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". I didn't know what to do and I tried to reinstall windows. While installing windows after the first reboot it shows "Setup will continue after restarting your computer", it restarts and shows black screen or "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD". I tried installing Windows 7 Ultimate and thought it might be 64-bit so I tried with Windows 7 extreme edition R1 32-bit. It's the same - can't load windows.

Please help I don't know what to do!

• Edited by vivka Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:47 PM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• NTLDR is missing:

How to Boot to the System Recovery Options in Windows 7:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

Open the Command Prompt and enter:

bootrec  /FixMbr 

Bootrec  /FixBoot

Bootrec  /RebuildBcd 

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

system recovery options in Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/What-are-the-system-recovery-options-in-Windows-7

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:26 PM
  • Thank you for the answer but the problem is that I don't have a backup, can't recover windows and I can't install windows. /RebuildBcd says "Total identified Windows installations: 0 The operation completed successfully." It reboots when I try to install windows and shows black screen.

P.S. I can access the task manager and notepad so i can see my computer but I don't know the reason why i can't log on an the installation of windows doesn't go to the end.

setuperr.log:

2012-03-05 00:22:57, Error      [0x064238] IBSLIB Neither <InstallToAvailablePartition> nor <InstallTo> specified for an <OSImage>

• Edited by vivka Monday, March 05, 2012 12:30 AM
    Sunday, March 04, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I tried to reinstall with USB and during the installation showed "the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:" and cancels the installation.

It's black screen again after ''Completing installation''. F8 doesn't work.
    • Edited by vivka Tuesday, March 06, 2012 10:55 AM
    Monday, March 05, 2012 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

Based on the current situation, I suggesting reinstalling Windows 7 using the Custom option and formatting the hard disk.

To format your hard disk during Windows 7 installation, you'll need to start, or boot, your computer using the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

1. Turn on your computer so that Windows starts normally, insert the Windows 7installation disc or USB flash drive, and then shut down your computer.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Press any key when prompted, and then follow the instructions that appear.

4. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then click Next.

If the Install Windows page doesn't appear, and you're not asked to press any key, you might need to change some system settings. To learn how to do this, see Start your computer from a Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, clickI accept the license terms, and then click Next.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

7. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, click Drive options (advanced).

8. Click the partition that you want to change, click the formatting option you want to perform, and then follow the instructions.

9. When you've finished formatting, click Next.

10. Follow the instructions to finish installing Windows 7, which include naming your computer and setting up an initial user account.

If you need the guide step by step with screen captures, please view the following third-party website:

http://www.petri.co.il/ultimate-guide-to-installing-windows-7.htm

Best Regards,

Kim Zhou

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Thank you,but I did that many times with different windows installation discs.It goes to Completing Installation > Setup will continue after restarting your computer. Then restarts and goes to black screen:

P.S. I tried safe mode, low resolution - nothing happened.
    • Edited by vivka Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:00 AM
  • SOLVED!! I took all my data with notepad on windows 7 extreme edition befove installation. Then I deleted all partitions and made new. I installed windows 7 and it's working perfect!
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:49 PM