none
How to upgrade from Vista home premium to windows 7 without losing data/programs?

Question

• Hi all i have Vista home premium on my machine and i want to try Windows 7, i have downloaded a windows 7 from technet plus downloads but im not sure which version i should have downloaded or how to upgrade vista to 7 without losing any of my data or installed programs, can anyone help?

Regards,
    Simon
    Regards,
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 8:40 PM

Answers

• I would suggest buying the new hard drive, plus an external hard drive enclosure.Follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the new hard drive in the external enclosure, then attach it to your computer via USB 2.0. (probably don't have eSATA)
    Use free software to clone your drive, make an exact copy of your drive, OS, registry, etc, a complete and exact copy of the entire drive, onto the external drive.
    You can now power off the computer, remove the old drive, install the new one and fire it up!
    All programs are still there, you mgiht not even notice a difference except the extra space.
    Now you can upgrade while retaining all of your files and programs, and still have a ton of space.
    Plus you put your old drive in the external hard drive enclosure and use it for portable media, backup your important files, etc...

You can get the external enclosure plus the easy upgrade software on ebay for $15 aprox.

• Marked as answer by Simon Lloyd Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:39 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:31 PM
  • IT is not hard to replace an internal disk, If the machine is about 3 years old, the disk is SATA and that means any modern disk will fit. Even a basic 160 GB disk would be 100x better than the 40GB for Windows 7.

The 40GB disk ignores restore points and so on that would increase the disk consumption to beyond the disk capacity,

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:35 PM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

Thank you for posting here.

Regarding your question, I would like to share the following with you:

Windows 7 Upgrade Paths

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-vista-to-windows-7

In addition, please run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to have a check before installation.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 11:17 AM
  • Nicholas, i appreciate all the information you gave, very useful, windows upgrade advisor is running now (seems to be taking forever!), while thats running, i believe my machine is x86 (at least i think so as its a standard laptop), it's an HP machine purchased from them with Vista home premium pre installed (however i completed the installation process when first activating the pc), i notice in the scenario's for upgrade it says you cannot upgrade from Vista RTM, what does that mean? considering Vista was pre loaded do i fall in that category?

Kind regards,
    Simon
    Regards,
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Hi Simon,

Thank you for your update.

Please let us know the detail information about the result.

In addition, as you mentioned “it says you cannot upgrade from Vista RTM”, could you please also let us know the exact message?

Thanks.

Nicholas Li

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Nicholas, once again thanks for the reply, Windows 7 advisor only pointed out minor things (mostly HP's own software not essential to the running of the laptop) but said i need 16GB free, surely windows 7 doesn't take up that much space?

The Vista RTM message is in the windows 7 upgrade paths link that you supplied and states:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579(WS.10).aspx
    Unsupported Upgrade Scenarios

• Upgrades to Windows 7 from the following operating systems are not supported:

• Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows XP, Windows Vista® RTM, Windows Vista Starter, Windows 7 M3, Windows 7 Beta, Windows 7 RC, or Windows 7 IDS

This is where i wondered whether a pre installed Vista Home Premium may fall in that category.

Regards,
    Simon

Regards,
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Regarding the free space requirement, it is also mentioned in Windows 7 system requirements:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

Since Upgrading from Windows Vista is not supported, I think you can update Windows Vista to Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Vista SP2.

Additionally, I would like to share the following with you:

Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/upgrading-to-windows-7-frequently-asked-questions

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Nicholas Li

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, February 01, 2010 11:11 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I am just writing to see if the suggestions helped. If you would like further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Nicholas Li

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:03 AM
  • The information helped but i guess we were talking at cross purposes for a little while, i have windows vista home premium and apparently you can upgrade from that, windows 7 advisor brought up no major issues except needing 16gb of space for the operating system which is a colossal amount!, i asked whether my version of vista is compatible with the win7 upgrade as it's manufacturer installed, this is why i queried what Windows Vista® RTM meant, i am still not sure on this point, so therefore, aside from clearing space off my laptop to install it, i haven't upgraded.

Can i ask, if i get a bigger hard drive (my current is 40gb and almost full) is there any way i can transfer ALL of my files and especially programs to the new hard drive if i install windows 7 to the new hard drive?

My whole reason to perform an UPGRADE is so i dont have to reinstall dozens of programs and updates....etc

Kind regards,
    Simon
    Regards,
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:11 AM
  • I understand that 500GB would cure my problem, i have a laptop, 3 years old, but your suggestion neither answered my question nor helped at all....sorry! :(
    Regards,
    Monday, February 08, 2010 6:16 AM
  • 1. Decide which version of Windows 7 you want to install. If your computer is running Windows Vista Home Basic or Premium, you will need to upgrade to either Windows 7 Premium or 7 Ultimate. If you use Windows Vista Business, you will need to upgrade to either Windows 7 Professional or 7 Ultimate. If your computer is running on Windows Vista Ultimate, you will have to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate. Purchase your copy of Windows 7 accordingly.

2. Turn on your computer and your Internet connection. Your Windows 7 Upgrade will use Internet access to receive updates during the installation. If you don't have Internet access, your Windows 7 installation will still work.

3. Place your installation disc in your CD-ROM tray or double-click your downloaded file if you ordered Windows 7 online. Keep your Windows product key handy. The product key is a 25-character code found inside your Windows disc package or in a confirmation email if you ordered Windows 7 online.

4.  Click "Install Now" when prompted once the installation file opens. If your computer is connected to the Internet, select "Get important updates for installation," and download updates. If you are not connected to the Internet, skip the updates screen.

5. Read the Windows 7 licensing information, then select "I accept the license terms" and click to the next screen. Select "Upgrade" as your type of installation, then hit "Install." Allow Windows 7 to install completely. Do not power off your computer during the installation. Once it is done, restart your computer.

Friday, February 19, 2010 10:17 PM
  • Holy ____ 40gb? and its only 3 years old? you must have saved some money on that bugger lol.
    i wouldnt worry about installing windows 7 if your not planning on getting a new hard drive, as obviously windows 7 taking up half of it wont leave you with much room.

but to answer your question you can transfer files from an old hard drive to a new one, or go out and buy an external hard drive.
    but i recommend just getting a new one, even 250g would be fine (and im guessing from what you have now would seem like unlimited space xD)
    you probably already know how to save space so it should be much easier on a 250g, especially if your just using it for work or browsing the internet. I'm a gamer and i have one on my notebook and i've only used half in 2 years.

actually i can probably go delete 50gigs off of it and should xD so ill go do that now, and you go get yourself a new hard drive. :)

as for transferring g files, follow these steps and see how it goes: http://www.webtechgeek.com/windows-copy-all-to-new-hard-drive.htm
    there are various programs you can use, including Xcopy

if its not Microsoft, make sure you check for viruses if you use a program to do it, you never know what No-Life losers will put on just about everything :p
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 12:51 AM
  • Techsupport50, thanks for that detailed reply, it certainly helps towards me installing, and it's great that you gave which versions upgrade to which and at which point i would see the "Upgrade" option, because to tell you the truth i would probably turned off installation if i hadn't seen the option earlier.

Regards,
    Simon
    Regards,
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:46 AM
  • Yep, the laptop only cost £250. Upgrading the hard drive is a must but i really do not want to go to the trouble of re-installing all my programs....etc, so if the method you described will work i'm all for it. I all ready have a 1TB extenal and i work a lot on MS office applications (unashamed plug for website: http://www.thecodecage.com) so i've used some on that, probably 100gb, but that drive is solely for projects etc i work on.

After getting a new internal hard drive this weekend i will try your method and post back.

regards,
    Simon
    Regards,
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:51 AM
  • I understand that 500GB would cure my problem, i have a laptop, 3 years old, but your suggestion neither answered my question nor helped at all....sorry! :(
    Regards,
    Windows 7 would used more than half of a 40GB disk and that is not including any applications.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe RaidMax Smilodon, 680W, Asus M2NBP-VM CSM, AMD X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2-800, HD2400 Pro, more details on my site, need a new boot disk, existing one is 5 years old

I'm aware of that!
    Regards,
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:52 AM
  • I would suggest buying the new hard drive, plus an external hard drive enclosure.Follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the new hard drive in the external enclosure, then attach it to your computer via USB 2.0. (probably don't have eSATA)
    Use free software to clone your drive, make an exact copy of your drive, OS, registry, etc, a complete and exact copy of the entire drive, onto the external drive.
    You can now power off the computer, remove the old drive, install the new one and fire it up!
    All programs are still there, you mgiht not even notice a difference except the extra space.
    Now you can upgrade while retaining all of your files and programs, and still have a ton of space.
    Plus you put your old drive in the external hard drive enclosure and use it for portable media, backup your important files, etc...

You can get the external enclosure plus the easy upgrade software on ebay for $15 aprox.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:31 PM
  • @Daifid H Thanks alot, that explained exactly what i need to do, no hassle & keep everything as it was, exactly what i need!!!!!

Vegan, i did wonder if any drive would have done, thats cleared that up too, as i can only mark one as the answer it will be Daifids (sorry :))
    Regards,
    Simon
    Sunday, February 28, 2010 4:36 PM
  • that's very clever

will that also work when upgrading from XP to windows 7?

Saturday, December 04, 2010 5:56 PM