none
Windows 7 No internet Access but network connected

Question

• Just installed Win7 which was needed for BF3 as i was previously using XP. All was good until my net has just stopped. the LAN icon on the task bar has the yellow symbol with the "!" mark on it.

ive tried unistalling and reinstalling drivers for my NIC. tried resetting my tcp stack, release/renew, dnsflush. have gone through the forums and tried the Bonjour services fix. nothing works. also tried rolling back restore points, no go.

the pc has 2 drives which i switch between, 1 with xp still and 1 with win 7. the xp drives still works no problem and another pc connecting via wi-fi also works just not Win7.

when running the diagnosting tool it keeps coming up with dns not responding

would love some help. this is BS

Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:31 AM

All replies

• Take a look on this network troubleshooting tips article, think could give you more ideas on solving this problem.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi,

You may try to test if this issue persists in Safe Mode with Networking.

If this issue does not occur in Safe Mode, please boot into Clean Boot mode to check the result.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 6:51 AM
  • i have thsi problem also. You must set IP configuration manually . follow this instruction

1- unplug you LAN cable and wireless connection Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection 2" properties

2- select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

3- press Properties button

4- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP=192.168.1.105

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip address such as 192.168.1.1

5- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set "PreferAlternate DNS server:" your router default ipfor example 192.168.1.1

6-press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

excuse me for my bad English

• Proposed as answer by KelsWheeler Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:39 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 2:33 PM
  • I have the same problem.  I will try what balouch_prg said.  Reinstalling windows or quickrestore does not solve the problem.  Most things I tried didn't work.  I think it may have come back on it's own.  What I thought did work temporarily was disabling network adapter and reenabling it.  We'll see how it goes.  Why it happens?  I don't know.  Why us?
    • Edited by ill macker Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:12 AM
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 5:10 AM
  • Method 1: 
    For DNS server follow the below steps and check for any errors listed in event viewer–
    1.      Click Start. Type cmd in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 
    2.      At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
    ipconfig /flushdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )
    It will show the message successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.
    3.      At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: 
    ipconfig /registerdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )
    4.      At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /) 
    The ipconfig /all command displays Windows TCP/IP settings for all your network adapters.
    If your IP address for your Local Area Connection is either 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x (where x is any number), then your computer is not getting an IP address from the router.  
    If that is the case, try this:
    ·         ipconfig /release in the command prompt and press ENTER
    ·         ipconfig /renew in the command prompt and press ENTER
    Test it again by typing ipconfig /all to see what the address is?  (If you are on a home router, it should start with either 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x or 10.x.x.x)
    Method 2: 
    If the issue persists you may refer and use the steps provided below and as mentioned in the provided link -
    1. Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    2. Go to Networking and sharing center and then click on Change adapter settings.
    3. Right click on Local Area Connection and choose properties.
    4. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 6 and click on Properties.
    5. Choose Obtain DNS servers address automatically and press Ok.
    6. Choose Obtain IP address automatically.
    7. Repeat the steps for Internet Protocol version 4 as well.
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/2e81fca4-35bb-4af9-86a1-7326d2fe91b3
    • Proposed as answer by gmakovicka Monday, October 29, 2012 3:56 PM
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 4:10 PM
  • disable ipv6, run only ipv4 on your network adapter

make sure that you have dns server in your ipv4 properties

if you run "ipconfig /all" on working computer and not working computer you should be able to see the difference.

• Proposed as answer by ShopSpeedHouse.com Monday, December 12, 2011 7:24 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by ShopSpeedHouse.com Monday, December 12, 2011 7:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Qintyx Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:49 PM
    Sunday, December 04, 2011 4:16 PM
  • We had the same issue on a fresh install of Win7 64bit on an Abit IP35 Pro M/B... access and share with all computers on the local network but NO INTERNET!!!  None of the solutions proposed here (or anywhere else that I could find) worked. The most ridiculously easy solution was to unplug the LAN cable from Port 1 and re-insert into Port 2 with the computer on. Within 10 seconds we had a working internet connection. After re-booting our router, factory resetting the router and re-applying all settings, attempting to do all the network configuration mentioned here, and a host of other hoop jumping routines, moving the Network cable to a different port on the M/B was the solution! Ridiculous.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Based on your description here "access and share with all computers on the local network but NO INTERNET" you are having problem with a DNS

run following commands

NBTSTAT -RR

ipconfig /flushnds

arp -d *

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

If internet still doesn't work then run "ipconfig /all" and see if you have DNS server assigned and if the IP that you find in there is the address that you expect.

• Proposed as answer by Mariolla Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mariolla Saturday, December 31, 2011 9:59 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:03 AM
  • Disabling IPv6 was the solution for me, but it required that I disable/enable the device after the change.  IP release/renew wasn't enough.

This was an intermittent problem for me, but with IPv6 enabled, the default gateway would have two entries.  The first was "0.0.0.0" and the second was the correct IPv4 gateway.  This explains why my local network was working but I had "no internet access".

Use a cmd window to run ipconfig /all and see if you have multiple entries for "default gateway".  Then open network and sharing center > change adapter settings > right click your adapter and choose properties.  Uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) box and OK. Finally, right click your adapter and choose Disable.  Wait a couple seconds and then right click the adapter and Enable.  

• Proposed as answer by L Gill Wednesday, August 01, 2012 1:57 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Good Evening!

I also started using my computer this evening and was frustrated. It showed that all connections were good, but could not connect to the internet. I was able to fix this by rolling back the Windows update that was installed last night. I have not identified which of the 6 updates caused the problems but have listed the numbers below.

KB2639308
    KB2621440
    KB2641653
    KB2647518
    KB2665364
    KB2667402

Good Luck,
    David
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:44 AM
  • fwiw, this happens from time to time with windows 7. one minute there's no "!" mark, the next minute says "No Internet Connection". even as i write this it says that. i think this is a bug.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Another one here with the same problem.  Gigabit LAN connection works great, and can connect to all my networked PC, blazing fast speed.  Internet access is slow to non-existant.  I tried every one of the solutions here with no joy.  I went to the manufacturer's web site (ASROCK) and downloaded the latest RealTek LAN drivers and installed them.  Still no luck.  Finally, I went onto the RealTek site (RealTek makes the Ethernet chips for practically every motherboard out there these days) and downloaded their latest driver, which is newer than what was on the ASROCK site.  Success!  And to think, I only wasted about 6 hours on this exercise!

Bob

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:25 PM
  • The solution for me was this: Disable the security key on my wireless router and then re-enable it. 
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:27 AM
  • ok, here is my problem.  ya'll are giving results for a computer that has internet access.  I DON'T have access on the affected computer.  The other options still have not worked as well(or not as well-I should say).  I have tried every option thus far and still no access.  We updated our security as well, scanned and detected nothing affecting the software or hardware portions of the computer.  UGH.  I don't know of anything else to do and can't use that computer for internet at all now.
    Friday, July 20, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Did any of the advice help so far? I have the same problem.

I find it strange that my IP properties are set to DHCP, I'm getting an address that looks correct when I do an ipconfig. But I can't ping the gateway.

Also, another computer on the network can't ping this computer nor vise versa.

thanks,

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:38 AM
  • So I've spent a relaxing Wed evening troubleshooting the exact same symptoms as rg2metairie describes above.  The problem affects both network adapters - ethernet and WIFI.  The router shows this as an active device, but can't ping to/from other local devices, or access the internet.  Scanned with several malware tools.  Researched on the internet.  Banged my head on the keyboard for a while....

Fortunately, the simple solution was to remove the Microsoft August patches that had been installed on the 19th.  I haven't had the time yet to individually install and test to determine which KB# specifically caused the problem.  I'm going to bypass August, wait for Sept, and hope that a correction supersedes the problematic patch.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:22 AM
  • All

I too had the same problem, tried for several hours , uninstalled Mcafee Security Center but with no luck, at last with a simple command issue got resolved.

Here are the simple steps

go to Command prompt run as Admin and hit this command, you can check the lot what it does in resetlog.txt

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

And reboot your machine, If your prayers are hard enough, you should see your Wireless should get connected to Internet.

When you hit this command, it writes these parameters

SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\ 
    SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DHCP\Parameters\ 

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:35 PM
  • OK I found the answer! It is a McAfee bug. Go to http://mvt.mcafee.com. Run Autofix and update the Def file and your done. Wasted too much time on this. I check the Dell Support and they also had this solution. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=576372&l=en&s=dhs

• Proposed as answer by Marcelo12 Monday, August 27, 2012 6:31 PM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 5:02 AM
  • Thank you Nomar 12451 - you saved my life!!!

I have been struggling with this one for hours, poring over 1001 forums before trying your solution.  The Dell support site provided the answer in simple, easy steps for a complete novice like me to understand.

Muchas Gracias,

Rd.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 9:32 AM
  • OK I found the answer! It is a McAfee bug. Go to http://mvt.mcafee.com. Run Autofix and update the Def file and your done. Wasted too much time on this. I check the Dell Support and they also had this solution. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=576372&l=en&s=dhs

Thats great, but I can't connect to the internet. I downloaded the MVTInstaller but it can't reach the McAfee Server to autofix it. How did you manage to run it?
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Try starting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking (hit F8 before Windows restarts).  Doing that, I was able to access the Internet while I implemented the McAfee fix.  All is well, now.  Best of luck, Mike
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:38 PM
  • Great help! Fixed the same issue that I experienced. What is deceptive here is that, Internet connection works when you boot with safe mode with networking. Such is the nature of the bug I guess.
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 8:54 PM
  • Thanks folks!  Stumbled across this forum in my desperation.  Followed the instructions and am back online!  Now I'll just sit here and wait for the apology email from McAfee.  :-)

Sunday, August 26, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thanks Nomar12451.  It worked =)
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:31 AM

Been disconnected and dumbfounded for a couple days trying to find the solution as to why my laptop couldn't get internet access....until I stumbled on to Nomar12451 answer. Followed his instruction and now its back to normal I'm connected to the internet.  As soon as McAfee expires I'm going to remove it and replace it with AVG anti-virus program.  Thanks Nomar12451 for the solution!!!

Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:26 PM

Thank you !!!!
    This concludes a long day of technical fighting.

Love from the Holy-land !
    Marcelo.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:32 PM

Thanks for posting this! And get this...just yesterday I received an email (from my working laptop) from McAfee titled "Service Notification: Important Update for your PC". Yea, whatever, I'll get to it later. My desktop hadn't connected to the internet for a couple of days. Tonight I started troubleshooting and couldn't figure it out. I had network access; my router was giving me an IP and my gateway was my router. But I couldn't ping the router and couldn't get to the internet.

Then I searched and thankfully found your post! As soon as I read it was a McAfee bug I remembered that crucial email! Pasted below is a subset of the entire email, with the relevant portion for those of us who can only access the internet after -rebooting into 'Safe Mode with Networking':

Use this procedure for McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT) to detect and repair the issue. The following steps will repair your product and update your McAfee software.

Run McAfee Virtual Technician (MVT)

1. Launch your web browser and go to http://mvt.mcafee.com.
    2. On the Welcome screen, click Next.

NOTE: The message McAfee Virtual Technician not found means that MVT is not YET installed on your system. 

3. Click Next again.
    4. When you are prompted to save or run the file, click Run. Click Run a second time if prompted by the Windows operating system.

NOTE: Windows Vista and 7 users may be prompted to allow the application to run. Click Yes in the User Account Control dialog if prompted.

5. Click I Agree to begin the installation.
    6. Click Finish to complete the installation.
    7. When the MVT installation completes, click Next to run the scan.
    8. If MVT detects issues with your McAfee software, leave the default optionAutoFix and click Next

If there are no issues, MVT will complete on its own.

9. When MVT and the AutoFix complete, restart your computer.

Ensure the MVT solution worked properly
    After your computer restarts please confirm the following:
    • You should able to access Internet resources by going to familiar web pages.
    • You should be able to open your McAfee Security software by double-clicking on the M icon in the Windows system tray.
    • When McAfee SecurityCenter opens, the status bar should be green and state that "Your computer is secure".
    • While the McAfee SecurityCenter window is still open, you should request and complete an update successfully by doing the following:
      1. Click the Updates drawer.
      2. Click Check for Updates.

Run a quick scan
    After you know that you can access the Internet and your system is protected, perform a quick scan:

1. Open McAfee SecurityCenter by double-clicking on the M icon in the Windows system tray.
    2. Click the Real-Time Scanning drawer.
    3. Click the Scan your PC option.
    4. Click Run a quick scan.
    • If you still experience issues, continue to the next Resolution.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:50 AM
  • Thank you! This was killing me, my free time and my ego.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:20 AM
  • THANK YOU....  Resolved my issue!!
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 5:23 PM
  • I have no idea why this worked, but it did.  I was trying to access internet on my Dell E6400 Win 7 via a (Netgear) repeater.  I could connect to the repeater, but it said no internet access, while at the same time my other computer (Mac) could access the internet via that same repeater.  Anyway, I restarted holding F8, and now it works just fine.  Would love to know why this worked...
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:24 AM
  • I may have found another mechanism that has these same symptoms.  I had run thru all the prescribed fixes with no joy.  I was trying yet another thing last night and came across a message in a log that my version of Intel ProSet Wireless was not compatible with the version of the driver I was using.  Apparently the utility that updated my drivers did not also update ProSet.  I suspect that windows may use some API delivered in Proset as part of their interface to the wireless function.  I installed an update that included both the driver and the Intel ProSet Wireless utility and my problem resolved itself.

GaryC

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:23 AM
  • My problem is similar to that of the OP. I have a system with 2 boot drives, Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Ultima, both 64 bit. Just over a week ago, I had to disconnect my PC because of a heavy tropical thunderstorm. After maybe 40 minutes things were safe enough, so I reconnected and started the PC. I had no network connection. Troubleshooting insisted that the network-card was unplugged, while it was not. After having tried everything I could think off, I rebooted from my 2nd drive with Win 7 Pro.  Everything was fine with that system, so it was not a problem with the (on-board) Atheros L1 ethernet-card.

Because I use the drive with 7 Ultima as my main system, I bought the next day a cheap network-card from the brand “TP-link” which worked right away. Only problem is, that the speed is much less than it used to be with the Atheros card. Speedtest.net now reports a download speed of about 0.9 Mb whereas that used to be around 6 Mb. I have updated the driver for Atheros and tried most other suggestions that I read in this thread, to no avail. My Windows is always up-to-date, as is my (free) Avast AV, Comodo Firewall and Malwarebyte’s Pro. Still I have run extra online scans (F-Secure, Panda) but found nothing worse than adware which my Superantispyware would probably also have found.

I really would like to be able to use my Atheros card again, but don’t know how.

In device manager are now 3 Network adapters: 1. Atheros, 2. TAP-Win32 Adapter V9 (installed by my VPN-service) and 3. TP-Link. If I connect the cable to the Atheros-card (with #2 and #3 disabled) and type ipconfig /all, I get an error about #2 (TAP) being disabled; the 2 real network cards are not found.

As I did not see a reply from Custodian187 in the thread, I wonder if her/his problem has been solved, and if so how, as the problem in that post comes closest to mine.

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:21 PM
  • I may have found another mechanism that has these same symptoms.  I had run thru all the prescribed fixes with no joy.  I was trying yet another thing last night and came across a message in a log that my version of Intel ProSet Wireless was not compatible with the version of the driver I was using.  Apparently the utility that updated my drivers did not also update ProSet.  I suspect that windows may use some API delivered in Proset as part of their interface to the wireless function.  I installed an update that included both the driver and the Intel ProSet Wireless utility and my problem resolved itself.

GaryC

Hope this helps:

Most of us have windows XP, sharing wireless/wired modem/router. One in our family has had Windows 7 for a few years now, and has shared via our setup with nary a problem. (Her system: Gateway MS Win 7 home premium 64 bit) That until her Norton allowed the ZeroAccess virus into her system. After following instruction on another forum  using RogueKiller, and others, was able to successfully remove the virus, and worked from her recovery discs to restore the system (sans her previously backed items, programs, etc) All was fine, and we were hearing that she was able to restore her system to how she had it previously to the Sept/Oct virus problem. all was fine....

Two weeks ago, she had no internet, while we enjoyed our normal connections. We verified that the new Kaspersky AV (in place of the Norton, at our behest ) she had put in her desktop was updated and such,but now there seems to be this inexplicable problem, similar to what is described in this forum. We tried everything here to no avail. Then it hit us......

The network adapter noted in the properties tab, as well as the 'manage' part of the devices under the Computer icon (start button>Computer>manage>device manager>network devices...) all showed 'RealTek', whereas she had sworn all along that there was something else there. We could not find what USB device she had before as it is unidentifiable, (no label, markings, etc) So ( thinking that AdirondackOsprey's remarks on the Proset device had merit , coupled with what we followed as Brano Lukic's advice on ipconfig flushing/release/renew, etc, renewing the connection, then pulled a NetGear USB device from one of our computers, along with the install disc (Or you could get a downloaded utility direct from the website, or drivers, etc) and followed the instructions, After install, still no internet, BUT, when we went to her Network connections;  noted  that the new attempt was labeled (3), and simply disabled the others (original and second, which had NOT previously appeared) and 'voila', now she has internet. Afterwards, we created a new system restore point, backed up the registry and restarted. To date she is still enjoying internet with my Netgear usb, so we figured it was merely a recent update that misidentified whatever her original usb wireless adapter was (that is , djp904's mention of the KB updates listed.....And now I have an XP that will need a another adapter, but there's definite peace in my house.....PRICELESS. (Let it be known, while we don't mind visiting family, the incessant howling of 'NO Internet' was resounding way too much for my taste. perhaps this will also mean peace in your household as well......I hope!)

Bottom line, follow the steps that have been pointed out in posts previous to this one...might be your solution. Please note the contributors mentioned below and see their respective posts above. This is merely another solve for something that presented itself. should point out that her adapter was detecting our modem and signal strength, and even showed 'connected' on many an occasion.But it just wasn't showing the IE any signs that it was connected, and the 'troubleshooter' found no way to solve...

Way too many hours of hell on this problem, but here's hoping one of these will help. A special thanks to Mark Louis, *Brano Lukic, Qintyx, djp1904, BobDY , FaiYYU,  and especially Balouch_prg, and AdirondackOsprey for their contributions.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Brano, I believe your suggestion solved MY problem.

I basically followed your steps, unticked the IPv6 box, disabled my USB wireless adapter, re-enabled it back, and voila, working internet! 

I am using Windows 7 and this happened a couple times in the past whereas the other computers in my house (one Win7, one Ubuntu) didn't exhibit any issue.

I'm bookmarking this page for future reference (thanks goodness for the internet and how it archives pages almost forever for people to use in the future). Seriously, I've scoured other forums but this thread is the best.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:52 PM
  • re: Mark Louis: Didn't work for me. Either method.
    • Edited by demmith2 Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:39 PM
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:38 PM
  • Re: Faiyyu

This one did not work for me.

• Proposed as answer by guy1407 Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:07 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by guy1407 Thursday, December 27, 2012 2:07 PM
    Sunday, December 23, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Re: Nomar12451

I went to the Dell site. It solved my problem. Yay! Finally! My system is a Dell Alienware machine and I have McAfee.That's the issue - they (Windows 7 and McAfee) were fighting each other in some form or another.

• Edited by demmith2 Monday, December 24, 2012 12:55 AM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Thanks folks!  Stumbled across this forum in my desperation.  Followed the instructions and am back online!  Now I'll just sit here and wait for the apology email from McAfee.  :-)

LOL!!! Seems that this is a recurring issue because as I sit here and enter this post it is December 23, 2012 and some of these posts originated back in the summer. Yea, how 'bout an apology McAfee and maybe a credit?!
    Monday, December 24, 2012 1:05 AM
  • hello evry1,

I have this problem 2. I have a multi-boot system(win7+xp+8). Internet on win8+xp ,no surfing in win7.

I read it all and done everything that was mentioned. Also tried doing the solution about McAfee.

I don't have any McAfee software's on my system thus don't know if it is relevant for me.

Never the less tried doing it but couldn't, because I couldn't connect to the internet.

Also in safe mode it want connect.

Any1 can help? pls? no internet for almost a week now...

• Proposed as answer by bigDAD111 Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:00 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by bigDAD111 Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:10 PM
    Saturday, March 09, 2013 11:08 PM
  • OMG I have had this problem for over a month and I could not make any sense of it considering that my Atheros ethernet card would network connect but not connect to internet.  I would've thought the card was faulty or some other freak idea, but I was using it prevviously on ICS and it worked perfectly fine, as long as it wasnt plugged into my router and the internet was coming from a shared connection.. Now honestly that blew my mind and i have had a posting up on this topic for a while... the other thing is that it works fine in linux, so i know its not the card, but it is the driver... So i could not find any compatible driver software for the card, and i did notice that the hardware capabilities are not set and is the exact reason why the card does not work in windows 7 or 8.  So if anyone knows how to program the driver so the card does have some capabilities then it might work, but i do not know how to do that.. From linux i was able to determine that the capabilities should be : pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp 10bt-fd 100bt-fd autonegotiation

So now the really frustrating, but solvable, part is... You can run a virtual system and boot Windows XP while still in the windows 7 environment (which has not network or internet connection), and be able to connect to internet!! I just tried it and it works!! Those of you who dont know... goto www.vmware.com and download the player which is free, and if you have your Windows XP Operating System disk you can use that or your Windows XP ISO file and voila... you now have internet on your non-connected desktop... One thing though, when you are setting up your virtual machine make sure to configure your hardware and set the network connection to bridged

And if somebody know how to set the drivers capabilities please post back

Thursday, March 28, 2013 4:28 PM

Thats great, but I can't connect to the internet. I downloaded the MVTInstaller but it can't reach the McAfee Server to autofix it. How did you manage to run it?
    I couldn't connect either.  Also, I had previously uninstalled McAfee, and that does not solve the problem.  Also tried installing MVT without an internet connection and that did not work.  I tried a reinstall/uninstall, but was told there was a problem by the installer.  In case the problem was a virus, I ran Hitman Pro, my go to cleaner.  I forgot that it does not work offline, however it found the connectivity problem, a Winsock error, and fixed it.   After a reboot, all is well.  I am sure there are better ways to fix this, but this worked for me.
    • Proposed as answer by Jester_XJ12 Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:22 AM
    Sunday, May 26, 2013 10:22 AM
  • Same problem after replacing the mother board on my computer. Switching the LAN cable from one port to a different port did the trick. Thanks!!!

• Edited by pbhmpls Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:14 PM
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Our issue was fixed by uninstalling IE 10 and rebooting.  Who-da thunk it?
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Thank you so much. I know this is an old post but thanks to you my internet is up and running.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Thanks, your solution was the only clear and workable one that I spent hours looking for! Saved me from getting into deep trouble with someone lol!
    Sunday, August 04, 2013 11:40 PM
  • My piece of junk computer has been having the same problem, but the worst part is it is intermittent, without me making any changes. My girlfriend's computer which is connected to the same network NEVER has this problem. So how on earth am I supposed to troubleshoot when none of the known fixes work, and the problem arbitrarily arises and disappears as it pleases?

Friday, September 27, 2013 10:36 AM
  • Is Windows 8 riddled with the same problem? If not, I might consider upgrading.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 11:36 AM
  • it works.. thanks :D
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:42 PM
  • I using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I just updated it to SP1.

Then
    I discovered that my computer is connected to the internet (i.e. I could perform Microsoft and virus definition updates) but all my browsers could not go online (e.g. gmail.com, not even to the local routers, e.g. 192.168.0.1). Once I discovered that, I ran the built-in diagnostic test and it was reported that there was problem with the DNS failing to respond. Since then, I couldn't replicate that error message even by running the same test.

Booting into Win7 in safe mode also does not make any difference - still cannot connect either to the internet or local routers.

Furthermore, IE10 fails to launch (runs then just disappears quietly), even in its own safe-mode!

I'm also unable to turn on 2 services in Avast.

What is wrong with the system and what can I do to resolve the above (basically to get online to check my emails, etc)?

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 6:17 AM
  • HI

Please follow the below steps to resolve the issue, the problem due to IP conflict. go to

Run > Cmd > Ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /release

ipconfig/renew

The issue will be get resolve immediately after renewing new IP from DHCP.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:40 AM
  • I have the same problems after windows update. Did you find any answers?!
    • Proposed as answer by deputt Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by deputt Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:06 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Apparently, I followed someone's advice to delete and restore a few registry entries related to TCPIP and Winsock and that solved my problem.

Sorry, can't remember exact site but the following site give a similar idea:

http://m.wikihow.com/Repair-Winsock-and-TCP/IP

H

Sunday, November 17, 2013 7:05 AM
  • it worked for me! thanks!
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:27 AM
  • I had this same problem and found the cause was in my router.  It had a DHCP range of only 5 addresses, so when I was the 6th computer it would not connect.  Windows showed he wireless connection as connected, which I suppose it was, but it could not get an IP address.  The fix was to extend the range of the DHCP addresses in the router's configuration.
    Sunday, January 05, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Finally, the answer I hoped someone would post. I see this issue all the time at work with different make/models of computers. Basically, found two answers but resetting Winsock seems to be the best. The other was to disable the Bonjour service but I'm sticking with the Winsock reset. This is a Window issue. It's not your wireless router, DNS, DHCP etc... 

Sunday, February 16, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Thank you, I used method 1 and it fix it.
    Monday, February 17, 2014 11:19 PM
  • I was fighting the same, same problem for about two weeks!!! Thank God, I believe I found something I didn't see anyone else even mentioning. I actually even went to Comcast and changed out my router/modem combo that I only had about two months. Well while fooling with this I believe I accidentally turned my power switch to 220 volts, well that's not what caused the "No Internet Connection" but if it wasn't for that I don't think I would have stumbled on to this. The 220 volt setting and after I disabled the auto notification on it, stupid me, I had know idea, well it ended up wiping my hard drives boot sectors..I actually had two boot options, one on each hard drive and both got corrupted. Ok, now after replacing my motherboard, just wasn't sure why it wouldn't boot and that thing seemed flaky anyway but it was the drives I finally found out. Well after re-installing Windows 7 on the newly formatted drives, of course the "Internet Connection" was flying!!! I just ran a "Speedtest.net" and hit 56mbps!! Then after beginning to load "drivers" and such back on the fresh system...it "Stopped"!!! "No Internet Connection"!!! You got to be kidding me, a fresh system install and here we go again. I started rolling back from the last two hours of updates and restarts and OH YEAH ;) I got it!! And couldn't believe it. My problem and I had done everything from all these posts, believe me, all the stuff. It was the "USB 3.0" ports!!! I actually just bought a 4 port brand new one for the new board and oh yeah. As soon as I would plug in a drive or "Anything" into one of the USB 3.0 ports, the internet connection was gone!!! Oh YEAH ;) I pulled the plug on it and it take a minute or two and then she was back...flying!! Even the new MSI motherboard USB 3.0 ports...the exact same thing;) Well, I did some more searching and OH YEAH, they know!!! INTEL actually has a bulletin stating this very thing, the 2.4 ghz frequency is overtaken by the USB 3.0 frequency it produces!!! I never saw this any where during all the searching and hours and frustrations I had with this...what the heck, you got to be kidding. The 3.0 is worthless if you plan on surfing while using it...I even tried pulling the power from it hoping I'd get at least 2.0 functionality out of it but it still stopped my Internet connection!!! I'm waiting on a new card reader with 4 3.0 ports to arrive that I just bought...lol, worthless for that now for sure. Thank God at least now I know!!! Please feel free to share this, now this was ridiculous and....they know;) Here's the INTEL link to their own bulletin, I even saw an HP post about it. Hope this helps, now just a solve for the 3.0 ports, think I'm gonna throw them away for some new 2.0 ones;) God bless all, Ben.  The Link: http://www.usb.org/developers/whitepapers/327216.pdf
    Monday, March 31, 2014 12:05 AM
  • Just installed Win7 which was needed for BF3 as i was previously using XP. All was good until my net has just stopped. the LAN icon on the task bar has the yellow symbol with the "!" mark on it.

ive tried unistalling and reinstalling drivers for my NIC. tried resetting my tcp stack, release/renew, dnsflush. have gone through the forums and tried the Bonjour services fix. nothing works. also tried rolling back restore points, no go.

the pc has 2 drives which i switch between, 1 with xp still and 1 with win 7. the xp drives still works no problem and another pc connecting via wi-fi also works just not Win7.

when running the diagnosting tool it keeps coming up with dns not responding

would love some help. this is BS

Seriously?

I have this problem on every other PC in house. With different hardware configuration different windows versions. This is just another stupid Microsoft thing. If you cannot positively detect that the network is connect to the internet, then just don't display anything and confuse simple users.

If you run the troubleshooter, he will tell you that there is no problem, you are connected to the internet, but it does not update the stupid icon.

Typical Microsoft, they will write suggestions on how to fix it, but they don't bother to just update the software to fix the problem for good. And I am sure this takes a programmer 10 minutes and saves system administrators globally thousands of hours of calming down their users.

Amen

Monday, March 31, 2014 5:18 PM
  • If possible, connect via wireless. Get an IP from access point or hotspot, fire up your browser than disconnect. Reconnect ethernet cable and try to ping your DNS.
    Wednesday, April 09, 2014 12:35 PM