none
Windows 7 Explorer not showing anything in All Programs box

Question

• A couple of days ago, the list of applications that normally appear in the All Programs box when you let the cursor hover over that option disappeared.  I reinstalled the RC that I have available, but it didn't fix the issue.  It must be something I've done or some program I've added that messed it up.  Any help?

Bob
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 2:54 AM

Answers

• It can mean you have more than about 70 entries in the two Start Menu > Programs folders. Try clicking the Windows Orb (Start), right-click All Programs and click Open. Right-click All Programs again and click Open All Users. Right-click the Taskbar and click Show windows side by side. Have a look in both the Programs folders and if there are more than 70 entries, combine some of them or create a sub folder, e.g. Start Menu\Programs\Miscellaneous and drag other folders/program shortcuts to it until there are less than 70 entries. Right-click the Taskbar and click Undo Show side by side. Lastly, using Task Manager, end and restart Explorer or restart the computer to refresh the list.

The above is a summary from this excellent website http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/story-of-windows-7-and-empty-all.html

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, October 05, 2009 7:25 AM
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:45 AM

All replies

• It can mean you have more than about 70 entries in the two Start Menu > Programs folders. Try clicking the Windows Orb (Start), right-click All Programs and click Open. Right-click All Programs again and click Open All Users. Right-click the Taskbar and click Show windows side by side. Have a look in both the Programs folders and if there are more than 70 entries, combine some of them or create a sub folder, e.g. Start Menu\Programs\Miscellaneous and drag other folders/program shortcuts to it until there are less than 70 entries. Right-click the Taskbar and click Undo Show side by side. Lastly, using Task Manager, end and restart Explorer or restart the computer to refresh the list.

The above is a summary from this excellent website http://coolthingoftheday.blogspot.com/2009/05/story-of-windows-7-and-empty-all.html

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, October 05, 2009 7:25 AM
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Thank you, Sir!  Worked like a charm and all is well in my Windows 7 world.  Well, at least for now.  Thanks again.

Bob
    Monday, October 05, 2009 3:38 PM
  • I am getting a little confused with the policy of marking messages as "answers". I will be glad if the moderators could explain. BurrWalnut's message is extremely useful but in fact it reports that the bug had already been found and there is a work-around. It doesn't report that the bug has been fixed! If a thread is marked as "answered", does it mean that all is fine and well now? In my opinion, it's not fine and well until the bug is fixed!
    Monday, October 05, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Unfortunately this isn't a bug if it's been around since May and Microsoft hasn't fixed it.  Rather it's been reclassified as a FEATURE, much like the chkdsk issue.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:47 PM