none
Just a little help please

Question

• I built MS Vista Home premium 64 bit, Intel DX38BT MoBo, Intel E8400 processor 1333 Mhz, Here is where I start having problems 4 Gb of Corsair  memory, 1333 Mhz, I can only install 3 Gb of it for the system to work anywhere close to OK. I am a  playing Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter 2 and with 4 Gb I keep getting a shutdown or freeze. Here is my last windows desktop manager error from the event viewer with the 3 gig installed. I am update on the Bios to 1521 which is the latest.  I am not an expert at this but an trying to learn. It could be the games that I am playing but I would like to hear from someone smarter than I

Thanks-Mike

Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>
      <Provider Name="Desktop Window Manager" />
      <EventID Qualifiers="16384">9013</EventID>
      <Level>4</Level>
      <Task>0</Task>
      <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
      <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-14T01:33:33.000Z" />
      <EventRecordID>16569</EventRecordID>
      <Channel>Application</Channel>
      <Computer>upstairs</Computer>
      <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData />
      </Event>

Monday, April 14, 2008 1:55 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From my point of view, this issue can be caused by incompatible display card driver.

Please let me know the brand and model of your display card or your computer and I will try to find the latest driver for you.

In addition, please contact the game manufacturer to confirm if the game is fully compatible with Windows Vista.

Based on the current situation, I suggest testing the issue in a Clean Boot state first.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment., if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:39 AM

All replies

•  

Hi

I suggest installing KB929777 from the following site to check the result.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=91672C7C-614B-404C-850C-377541E93C18&displaylang=en&Hash=V/aAddaDoG7WkCI9nEVNhX3WTfcRCP9SBpPkO4DFOq/N/4LBTrN6qK4Q9Y4QU6AXv35tZucOCY2DBlM69EVORw%3d%3d

For more information, you can refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?siteid=17&PostID=2865077

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:23 AM
  • Thanks for the responce but that link takes me to a download page with lots of links on it. Since my post I think that I have narrowed it down to the Desktop Window manager. I have disabeled the power sleep function, the screen saver. I am running Aero. I am trying to run a full screen game and it isn't working well.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Desktop Window Manager
    Date:          4/15/2008 8:51:12 AM
    Event ID:      9013
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Information
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      upstairs
    Description:
    The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Desktop Window Manager" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="16384">9013</EventID>
        <Level>4</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-15T13:51:12.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>17364</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>upstairs</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Tuesday, April 15, 2008 2:26 PM
  • Hi,

From my point of view, this issue can be caused by incompatible display card driver.

Please let me know the brand and model of your display card or your computer and I will try to find the latest driver for you.

In addition, please contact the game manufacturer to confirm if the game is fully compatible with Windows Vista.

Based on the current situation, I suggest testing the issue in a Clean Boot state first.

Clean Boot

========

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment., if the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, April 18, 2008 7:39 AM
  • Mr Quan,

Live and learn right? Well I have found out that ATI does have a upgrade for the drivers, that is #1

#2 is that the game that I was trying to play is NOT vista compatable.

Life goes on

Thanks so much for your help

Mike

Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:15 AM