none
Updating to KB2699988 Causes IE9 to stop working

Question

• When I apply KB2699988 to my laptop, IE stops accessing the internet.  (Firefox and other utilities work fine.)  I also notice that IE uses 100% of one of the CPUs on my computer until I shut it down. No other processes seem to be chewing up an inordinate amount of CPU time.  The only way to get it working again is to uninstall the update.

I am running the following (relevant) software at boot time, other than this there are the usual services running in the background:

Windows 7 Enterprise with IE9
    Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security
    Dell Laptop Utilities (Bluetooth, Touchpad, etc.)
    Canon Printer Utility
    Jing
    SnagIt
    RoboForm
    Contact Capture
    GoToMeeting

System Info

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise 
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 
    System Manufacturer Dell Inc. 
    System Model Latitude E6400 
    System Type x64-based PC 
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9600  @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s) 
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A29, 4/13/2011 
    SMBIOS Version 2.4

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Edited by bc0203 Wednesday, June 13, 2012 1:52 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Was there a later update to apply after this? Maybe you are missing another update?

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Hi , I have the same problem, Installing the above KB26998 stops explorer with a not responding fault in the title Bar. It allows the main google page to list the results of a search but if you click on a search, the search title goes red then explorer stops. The only way I could get this to work was to remove the offending KB. Note this happened last month and I had to remove  a KB. Now concerned about the unpatched security hole in my system. Hopefully someone will alert microsoft to get themselves together to sort this out. I tried contacitng but my support is expirted and £46-00 to chat to a support pro is OTT in my estimation. Please post if you find a solution before me. Good luck.......

I am running:

Win 7 Pro on an Intel  Dual core E6750 2.66GHz CPU

Using Windows Explorer 8

Multiple software suites but stable for last 4 Yrs

All other microsoft updates current.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 9:57 AM
  • Yes, it is a problem. I experienced exactly the same problem as you did. I roll back my Windows system immediately after I found this problem. After rollback, the problem you mentioned was resolved.

My system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
    Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
    Other OS Description  Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer LENOVO
    System Model IdeaPad Y460
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 27CN62WW, 7/23/2010

Almost forget, I'm using IE9
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:21 AM
  • I have the same problem: Internet Explorer 9, Windows 7 64 bit. I uninstalled KB2699988 and everything is back to normal.
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

Some users report DFX Audio Enhancer would interrupt Internet Explorer 9, try to launch Internet Explorer without Add-ons to check if this issue persists:

Tips for solving problems when Internet Explorer crashes or stops working

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/tips-for-solving-problems-with-internet-explorer

Alex Zhao

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by bc0203 Thursday, June 14, 2012 4:28 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Hi

KB2699988 is causing the report export link in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Outlook client to stop functioning. The web based CRM Export Report link still continues to work though. Removing the update resolved the problem. We have 23 users with the CRM Outlook client and I had to remove the security update from them all.

Joe P

Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Have been having this issue with I E 9 failure for over a week now too.

What I have found is,  I can open IE9 going to MSN.com default home OK.  When I go to many common sites, like Google, Yahoo, MapQuest, FaceBook, local TV stations, and others, it hangs.  ABout 2/3rd the time the open after 20-30 seconds or so.  Sometimes the screen is pixel'd, like on Yahoo you get raw text letters not menus, tabs, graphic format, just raw text with some code as well.

Last weekend, I uninstalled IE9 and went back to the stock IE9, being on Windows 7 64-bit Pro, and that seemed to resolve the issue  (8-10 hours of reinstalls and reloads later of all apps).  Then upgraded to IE9 and it worked.  Then 2 days later it failed again.

What I found last week was,   KB2675157  was a IE9 Cumulative Update that loaded with the daily catch-up updates with the new OS, and next restart, IE9 stopped working smooth again.  This was the IE update from about April.  Which have to wonder, why it worked ok for two months then problems?  So I uninstalled it and had to restart a couple times before it seemed to take and IE was working fine again.

Then days later the  KB2699988  came out and loaded, and all was still ok.  Then as like you folks are having,  I E 9  is failing again this weekend.   I uninstalled it and restarted twice and cold booted, still not working.

Read of my adventure and some notes at this MS page...
       http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/internet-explorer-slow-on-select-major-sites/1d606a00-e97a-457d-89c6-e6533183dcc6?page=1&tm=1339884557776#footer

To add to the testing, having installed Google Chrome months ago for testing, I stuck with IE...  well Chrome is having NO issues with the sites.  Two other PCs in my home are having no issues with the sites, via IE.  And using  SpeedText.Net  shows I have 20.1 mbps download and 1.98 upload today, so it's not the connection.

So why would  MSN,  Microsoft,  eBay,  Bank of America, AutoTrader and some others work/load fine...
    ...but Yahoo, Google, FaceBook, MapQuest and other not work.   Selective screwing up by the patch?

What's up Microsoft with your I E security updates this month?

Is there some approved cache list needs to be turned off?

Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:18 PM
  • Hi guys,

I've been having EXACTLY the same issue here! It's been happening over the last week. The 32-BIT version won't completely load my homepage or load any links. It just hangs and the system fan then goes into overdrive until you kill the program in task manager. I've un-installed and re-installed god knows how many times and still the same thing. I'm now having to use the 64-BIT version which as we all know isn't fully supported with add-ons etc but it's better than nothing.

It's obviously not a coincidence if we've all started having this problem in the same week. So yes, I'm guessing it's down to a Windows Update of some kind. Although our problem doesn't seem to be resolved, I'm glad others are experiencing the same problem as I thought I was losing the plot at first.

Come on Microsoft, don't you guys have a testing procedure before putting updates "live"? Sort it out.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:08 AM
  • Update and Note:  my issue is when using 32-bit and 64-bit versions of I E 9.

Even tried 'compatibility mode' without success.

Have since, have reinstalled KB2699988 update, to see if maybe a bad update, but same results.  Uninstalled again, still failing.  So uninstalled all of the Microsoft updates that were loaded in recent days since IE started to fail, and have had no effect / did not fix.

In past, had uninstalled IE9 to go back to IE8 and had no effect, failed the same under IE8.  All was fine until days ago.

Google Chrome is working fine, and actually seems the sites tend to load faster in Chrome than in IE9 or IE8, when it was working.

Since some sites work/load, and others do not, and Chrome works, really tells me it's not the PC or IP, but maybe some 'picky list' or setting in Internet Explorer, that is screwed up?

Sunday, June 17, 2012 9:36 PM
  • Five days later,  using  Chrome  without an issue since still no fixes from Microsoft to fix their screwed up  I E  that all signs say, is an IE Update.  Various uninstalled, even reinstalls, have no effect.  IE does not work well, fast or at all now.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Got a fix and my I E 9  is working fine again...  used a KB link someone else posted, that addressed a problem with the IEv4 setting over IEv6?   Used the "Let MS Fix it" and the link to have  v4 primary over v6,  and restarted the PC and IE is working again.

Well...  problem is am starting to get used to  Google Chrome  now since MS IE got screwed from an update from MS and MS did not get it fixed soon enough...

Here is the info from another thread....

==>  Experienced this issue when the users were using IE as their browser and the client machine has both IPv4 and IPv6 enabled. Troubleshooting took way longer than I wanted. The large “hobby sites” have IPv6 infrastructure, however somewhere between the client, switches, routers and ISP the IPv6 traffic is not being routed properly. Only big corporate sites so far seem to have IPv6 enabled. Since the traffic gets clogged from not routing properly from end-to-end it causes IE to timeout before retrying traffic over IPv4.

Fix in my situation was to disable IPv6 on certain clients.

How to disable IP version 6 (IPv6) or its specific components in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

For other clients I was able to resolve issue with Microsoft Fix it 50410 on same Microsoft KB article which sets the default to prefer IPv4 over IPv6

Hope this helps …. Good luck!

Some additional answers can be extracted here:  http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2011/06/googles-ipv6-test.html

About the same date problems began.

DJTECH

Sunday, July 01, 2012 6:54 AM