none
Error while opening pdf in reader in windows 8:Can't open this file. There's a problem with file format

Question

• I have a problem with a pdf file which does not open with reader in windows 8 but it opens properly with adobe pdf reader. All other pdf can be opened in reader.But when i open a pdf(see this link for pdf for which i got error http://incometaxsoft.com/temp/Form.pdf) it gives error as "Can't open this file. There's a problem with file format".

The same file opens properly in adobe pdf reader.You can check the pdf file which i have mentioned in the link above.But the reader which comes with windows 8 can open some other pdf in the same PC.What may be the error causing this??

Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:46 AM

Answers

• Found a solution. Reader probably wasn't able to handle the PDF file, so I used Acrobat Professional and EXTRACTED ALL THE PAGES to a new PDF, saved it, and then opened the new file with reader. Works great.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:16 PM

All replies

• The PDF reader should be fine beacuse all other PDF files can be opened. I suspect that that PDF was made by an old version program, so the reader does not support that format.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, October 19, 2012 8:23 AM
  • No..the pdf is opening in adobe reader but its not opening in windows 8 reader.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 12:47 PM
  • I am also having this problem. Works great with Adobe Reader, but doesn't work with Microsoft Reader. It's a big issue because I'm on the surface and cannot install Adobe Reader. Has anyone found a solution yet?
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Found a solution. Reader probably wasn't able to handle the PDF file, so I used Acrobat Professional and EXTRACTED ALL THE PAGES to a new PDF, saved it, and then opened the new file with reader. Works great.
    Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

I think this behaviour is not correct from user point of view (The default reader, Windows Reader not opeing the files which is created by older version program). Whether Microsoft going to give fix on this?.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 12:32 PM
  • I have the same problem on most files with the app on Win Phone 8.  This always occurs whenever a website generates a PDF file for me.  I used Adobe Acrobat X Pro from my Win 7 computer to view the files' security settings.  If you go to File>Properties>Security tab, it may show some restrictions in the "Document Restrictions Summary."  I tested 5 files and found that security settings were enabled for "Page Extraction"; it shows Not Allowed instead of Allow.  Therefore, I was unable to create a new PDF from one of these files. 

Workaround if you have Adobe PDF software on your computer: Use the XPS printer that is built into Windows 7.  Print the original PDF to XPS format.  Then open the XPS file in IE and print to a new Adobe PDF file.

I totally agree that something is wrong with Microsoft's PDF app for Windows Phone.  It appears that if any of the security options are enabled, then the file won't open.  There could also be other settings causing the problem.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 6:16 AM
  • I have a little bit other problem with PDF reader. It looks like it opens, but when I scroll to the another page it close the app and says tap to open.
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Yes.   I'm having terrible problems with the embedded pdf viewer that comes with tile based search.  Brand new Windows 8 touch screen machines from Dell, two of them have this problem.

You can't open PDFs when using the tile search engine thing.  I constantly get "Adobe PDF viewer not available".  Really....can't view PDFs using Windows 8?  You have to be kidding.

The only way to view a PDF is to open the desktop, then open IE, then download a PDF.

I've installed Adobe PDF like 3 times.   I suggest a Microsoft executive actually try to use the product before allowing shipment, I would die of shame if this were my product.

• Edited by xj7vb3 Saturday, November 02, 2013 10:51 PM
    Saturday, November 02, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Hi, I've the same issue.  PDF documents cannot be opened with the W8 on my new desktop, while the other W7 PC's do not have an issue.  It is a W8-microsoft related problem, and this they should be alert to fix it asap

Thursday, November 21, 2013 7:07 AM
  • I had the same problem.  I am not an expert but I solved my problem. I assumed I had Adobe Reader.  I did not.  I had Microsoft's reader and it never prompted me to go install Adobe.  I went to Adobe.com and installed the free reader and now it seems to work fine. 

Friday, January 10, 2014 4:09 PM
  • Hi not sure if anyone else has this problem but I can open some PDFs with my windows 8 but as soon as it is an interactive form PDF my adobe reader does not recognize the PDF. Any ideas on how to fix?
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 3:44 PM