none
Error Code: 0x80070570 when trying to install

Question

• Can anyone tell me why can't Vista see: \sources\install.wim Is this a bad installation disk?

Best Regards
    Joe

comptrtoy1@yahoo.com

Saturday, September 02, 2006 11:20 AM

Answers

• What is recommended, is for you to burn at 1x or 2x speeds, and after the burn run a CRC check utility to prevent this from happening. There are many third party crc check ulitites that are available for download, search for them and find the one that you think will work best for you. This makes sure that what you have on the dvd is the same as the .iso file.

Andre Rivera

Windows Beta Feedback Team

Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:27 PM

All replies

• Joe,

Which build of Vista are you trying to install? The error code indicates there was a file copy error. Which most likely is bad media. Did you order the DVD or download the .iso?

Andre Rivera

• Proposed as answer by dickvandsae Saturday, December 26, 2009 8:50 PM
    Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:42 PM
  • Im getting the same error - I have burnt 2 DVDs and get the same thing with both....I am trying to install downloaded RC1

Make that 3 DVDs (the last one I tried Nero) - the same error every time

I re-downloaded and burnt a DVD and it worked this time, must have been a corrupt download as suggested....

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:33 AM
  • I am having the same problem.
    Downloaded RC1 today burnt to dvdr.
    Try to install but keep getting the error.
    I have tried 2 dvdr, 2 different dvd drives and different RAM
    Some idea as to what is causing this would be great.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Thursday, September 07, 2006 10:28 AM
  • I have exactlly the same problem !

I try to setup the new release (downloaded yesterday) under Virtual PC 2004 !

I can't used directly the ISO file (maybee some copy-protection) under VPC'04 !

Once I burn my DVD I have a similar error as your one !

Is the ISO file corrupt ? I had a similar setup problem with Office 2007 the first day they publish it ! 2 days later a new iso file was online without bug :-)

Best regards

Thursday, September 07, 2006 12:07 PM
  • What is recommended, is for you to burn at 1x or 2x speeds, and after the burn run a CRC check utility to prevent this from happening. There are many third party crc check ulitites that are available for download, search for them and find the one that you think will work best for you. This makes sure that what you have on the dvd is the same as the .iso file.

Andre Rivera

Thursday, September 07, 2006 5:27 PM
  • I am having the same issues.  I have downloaded the "en_vista_rc1_5600_x86_dvd.iso" two seperate times and tried to burn it on three different burners at the lowest speed my DVD burners will allow.  Every time I start the setup I receive the Error Code: 0x80070570.  I have tried both Roxio 8 and Nero 6 to burn the .iso's.  Are you sure this .iso is good?

Gary

Friday, September 08, 2006 1:22 AM
  • Yes, the .iso files have worked for thousands of people, you should type crc checksum into a search engine and download a program that allows you to check if the contents on the disk is the same as the iso file.

Regards,

Andre Rivera

Friday, September 08, 2006 6:11 PM
  • I am having the same exact error code. The error occurs right after choosing to install Vista. In my case, I am running the install from Virtual PC 2004 SP1. This is on my laptop, so I also installed the VPC hotfix for hibernation (even though I disabled it).

I have read several other posts, and this seems to be a common issue. When I boot off of the DVD from my BIOS (NOT Virtual PC 2004 SP1), I can get past the error code (For obvious reasons, I do not continue further).

I have also burned multiple disks from 2 different computers, using 2 different types of media (One used Verbatim disks, while the other used generic Staples disks). After downloading the ISO on each computer, I checked the MD5 checksum. Both matched the hash on the Microsoft website.

I also cannot load up the ISO directly in Virtual PC 2004 SP1, but I used my Nero ImageDrive to create a virtual drive, and loaded the ISO image onto it. This allowed me to get past the error screen, but Virtual PC 2004 SP1 would freeze up once the installation was complete (I used the default expanding virtual disk instead of the fixed size disk). I waited a good 30mins, and nothing changed. CPU usage was at a constant 100% for virtual pc, although nothing was being written to my harddrive.

Have the developers at Microsoft tested running Windows Vista RC1 on a Virtual PC 2004 SP1 installation?

- Jack

Saturday, September 09, 2006 2:01 AM
  •  Jack Marc wrote:

Have the developers at Microsoft tested running Windows Vista RC1 on a Virtual PC 2004 SP1 installation?

- Jack

This is my exact situation as well.  I feel certain that the DVD is correct, it just wont install in a Virtual PC 2004 SP1 session.

Gary

Saturday, September 09, 2006 2:23 AM
  • Just as an update, I reconfirmed that the issue does not lay with the DVD(s).

Since I already deleted the ISO file that I downloaded from the Microsoft website onto the current laptop, I used PowerISO to create an ISO image from the DVD I burned. Once it finished, I created an MD5 checksum, which matched that on the Microsoft website for the original ISO. If there was any corruption during burning of the DVD, then it would most likely not returned the correct checksum for it's image file.

After this, I created a virtual hard drive for Virtual PC 2004 SP1 with a fixed size of 8GB. I then went ahead and mounted the new ISO to a virtual DVD drive (Nero), and started the installation of Windows Vista RC1 on VPC. Besides the fact that it took extremely long, and that unfortunately VPC did not do a good job emulating my GPU (256MB GeForce Go 6800), I was able to successfully install Vista RC1 on my VPC.

After playing around with it for an hour or so, I deleted the Vista virtual hard drive, since the emulated GPU was a standard 8MB VGA processor, so Vista ran at an intolerably slow rate (not to mention no Aero). But to get back to the main issue, I believe since I was able to successfully install using an image made directly from a DVD I burned, that the issue lays with Virtual PC 2004 SP1's ability to read the Vista RC1 image file ("install.wim") from an optical drive. At least that would be the logical conclusion.

Now I just have to buy a Vista-ready PC so I can actually see all the goodies in the Ultimate Edition :)

- Jack

Edit: Called both the VPC virtual hard drive and Nero virtual DVD drive a "virtual drive", which could have caused a bit of confusion.

Saturday, September 09, 2006 10:30 PM
  • I can't find any CRC utlities that will allow me to compare the ISO to the burnt DVD's contents... Only single files on the DVD. Any suggestions?
    Sunday, September 10, 2006 10:14 PM
  • I burned it, installed it on one machine, went perfect and runs great; second machine I get the error and a failed install.
    Monday, September 11, 2006 12:31 PM
  •  

Same exact situation as described above. I'm attempting to install Vista RC1 on bare hardware using the ISO obtained from MSDN and I recieve the error regarding install.wim

I've CRC checked my DVD from the ISO, and it checks out. What gives?

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 6:19 AM
  • I am also having this problem... whether i run setup from windows or boot from DVD, get same error "install.wim is missing or corrupt". I downloaded Vista RC1 same day it was released on two different PCs, on two different networks. burned both images to DVDs and having the same error from both discs!

What on earth is wrong with it???

I used "ISOBuster" to browse through the ISOs and the program was unable to extract "install.wim" as could not read from source file! But could extract all other files...

havent tested CRC, but im redownloading the image now to try another copy. hopefully not same version.

it cant be everyones DVD drives causing the problem, it must be a problem with the image... hopefully can install RC1 on 3rd attempt. shouldnt have to go through all this.... grr...

Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:46 PM
  • I had the exact same problems when trying to install RC1.

I was trying to install it on a virtual machine - so ended up running the iso as a virtual cd drive using nero7 image drive (or drive image) - this basically fools the computer into thinking the iso is a cd drive.

I loaded up the virtual machine again, chose the virtual cd drive and it worked fine. Towards the end of the installation it hung for a while, but be patient - installed fine!

I had to do the exact same thing when installing beta2.

Just hope they get this fixed in the final release!
    Friday, September 15, 2006 3:51 PM
  • Hello.

I've downloaded the image for x64, and I have exactly the same problem. I've burned a second dvd at 2X. The DVD is readable and explorable in Win XP, I've also located the install.wim that it says that can't find.

Help very appreciated.

Regards
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:45 AM
  • Hello.

I've downloaded the x64 image yesterday and still have this problem. I've burned at 2X. The dvd is readable and explorable under windows.

Help appreciated.

Regards

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 9:48 AM
  • Another thing is.

I don't know if it is trying to upgrade my existing xp or just doing a clean install!!
    If it is trying to upgrade, can I upgrade a 32bit SP2 XP to a 64bit Vista???

PS: Sorry about all this posts, but I can't edit or delete the other posts. Always giving error
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 10:27 AM
  • Tried to install in Virtual PC via original iso file with nero image drive. Enter product key and comes up with error: cannot open :\Sources\Install.wim. Maybe corrupt or missing. Error code: 0x80070570.
    From looking at the above comments, this is definatly a bug and needs to be resolved. People buying a new pc which will run from an image when first started don't want an error on first startup. When the image problem is solved please let me know, cause I'm dying to try Vista out and put it through it's paces.
    Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:18 PM
  • Andre,

please advise if a fresh drive should be formatted first or any details about how the drive should be prior to install.   Also, I find it hard to believe that there is no problem with the Microsoft file when so many people are experiencing the exact same situation and can not resolve.  Microsoft should provide a solution!

Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:01 PM
  • i suggest, after a number of failed attempts of installing vista from the ISO file, like myself, you order the DVD 4 a few quid... it works 1st time, n u get both versions instead of havin like 6GB used up on ur HDD!

Tried offical DVD and went straight through the proccess on my machine:

DFI LP UT nF590 SLI-M2R/G Socket AM2 Mobo

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Proccessor

EVGA e-GeForce 7900 GT KO Superclocked 256MB 256bit DDR3 HDTV DVI ACS3 PCI-E Graphics card

Kingston 1GB DDR2 667MHz PC2-5400 240pin Ram

Seagate ST3160811AS 160GB 7200.9 SATA II 7200rpm HDD

runs amazingly and aero is perfect.

Stuff the ISO... i wasted hours of my time getting this error. Wish would have brought offical DVD 1st time round...

Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:31 PM
  • The whole point to this is NOT to spend any more money on Microsoft.  I am not about to spend money for a time trial of Vista --especially if it is loaded with bugs that waste my time.  If Microsoft wants people to test their software then I say this is a big big mistake by them -- not able to even install their trial. They better start getting it right the first time instead of wasting our time on junk.
    Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:02 PM
  • yes this may be a trial and yes, it may contain bugs, but when you are a buisness man (system admin) like myself and are testing Vista for future upgrade on your network, a couple of £  is far better than having a faulty ISO. I agree microsoft should approach this problem as a priority, but why argue about a couple of £ setback?

The MD5 on the vista website never seems to match the ISOs i have downloaded, or the DVDs i have burned. Whereas the offical DVD is a perfect match. I am continuing to download the ISO on a 2 day basis, hoping for a copy which works, but alas,no luck. 6 copies later! gave up now with it as now have it installed perfectly. All hail working discs! lol.

Friday, September 22, 2006 8:08 AM
  • I got the same error. Was really pumped to try Vista, as I built a computer for exactly that. After receiving the error multiple times, I searched and saw this post, so I'm glad I didn't spend my whole weekend doing what I do all week. I'm sure there are thousands that it worked for, but looking at this post and my experience, there's probably just as many that it has not worked for. Would be nice if we could all get to the bugs the Beta is suppose to iron out, rather then running up against issues with a tried and true process such as creating a DVD from an image.
    Saturday, September 23, 2006 3:52 AM
  • Experiencing exactly the same issue you all describe when trying to install Vista RC1 using Virtual PC 2004 SP1.

I know the DVD I created from the iso image is good because I have used it to instal Vista RC1 on a different machine.

There is a tip in the CD settings in Virtual PC that suggests trying to attach the CD/DVD drive to the primary IDE controller if experiencing problems installing software.  I tried this and it made absolutely no difference, I got exactly the same error message.

Don't bother following this tip.  I hope some bright spark finds a resolution to this soon.

Chris

Monday, September 25, 2006 8:57 PM
  • Ok, I had the same problems the first few times I tried to install the 5600 build. Never checked if checksums where ok. Downloaded both versions (32 and 64), same problem on both installations. Downloaded the file once again from microsoft and used the same burning software (nero) to burn the new image onto a different brand of DVD. It worked!! (had some problems way later during installation.. but :).

I didn't realy change anything except brand of DVD and downloaded a new iso. (all from microsoft). Don't know if this may help anyone but that's what happend to me anyways.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:52 PM
  • I had exactly the same error, I downloaded the .iso file 3 times, burnt it onto different medias but the error is always the same.

I suppose that if microsoft wants to have betatesters they must solve this issue asap or lot of people will not be able to report their conclussions.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:23 PM
  • Hi all,

hope this makes sense...

I had a slight epiphany in regards to this problem that seems to plague me in similar ways to other problems relating to hardware configs and specs.

I think that all the iso's you have downloaded are fine, you can use the checksums to make sure of this but this will be more of a precaution more than a fix.

I burnt my iso last night on my home computer because the connection at work is ridiculous, i brought it into work and was having the same problem as the people with Virtual PC, it couldn't locate the install.wim file although i could see it when I released the drive and opened it normally through XP

In most cases, even without virtual pc being used, a standard clean install will be on a seperate machine, but it will mostly be a new or different machine and that brings up the issue of slight hardware differences i would have thought. My DVD burner at home is an LG and the one at work is a newer Sony. Think of the issues that used to be prevailant in the different floppy drives (not being able to read data saved from one machine in another machines floppy drive- different drive manufacturers, better materials, different calibrations and specification, ahhh thank goodness for IEEE & ISO)

I read the initial postings here and it didn't give me any indication on how to fix this issue. I.e, what drivers may you have to load up before hand to get your drive to work, so i quickly tried putting it in my other drive which is a dvd reader only (std that comes with HP machine - tsst corp) instead of the Sony DVD-RW drive. And it worked straight away, slightly older in design and the laser doesn't have any further functionality for burning dvd's does it.

It also told me that too many people were expecting a release candidate to do what no other o/s has ever done on its own (bar the odd Linux distro).

For the iso not working, i don't know what could have happened there, although loading up windows 3.11 the other day, i had to load up a win 98 boot disc for it to work and install off the cd straight away. Thinking about it now also, the driver probably wasn't loaded to handle a virtual pc iso, so that would be why an iso won't work in most cases. And this is why when another person opens the image up in a virtual drive, that software has already installed the virtual drivers for that drive and the iso works.

Its not that microsoft didn't give an easy to use RC, its the fact that it was designed to be used most likely in only two ways.

Just like any other o/s you have installed, there has to be a couple of tweaks to the machine to accept the install process.

This is what happened here.

I hope this helps

Your welcome Bill.lol (and yes i will accept a free copy of Vista Ultimate)

Friday, September 29, 2006 2:18 AM
  • Ok, but each time I download the .iso, the file size is different.

I have:

2,097,154 KB

2,097,155 KB

2,097,156 KB

Shouldn't these files be closer to 3 GB?  Looks like some 2 GB limit thing. When the Active-X download manager allocates the space, I have a .DLM file of 2,646,273 KB but my final .iso is just over 2 GB. 

Concerning some kind of imaginary file size limit, I downloaded the 64-bit .iso also, and it came in at 3,765,476 (for another PC--haven't tried it yet though)

Monday, October 02, 2006 4:03 PM
  • Hi all,

after reading a lot of threads in different forums I found a solution for this common problem. There is a simple way of mounting an iso-image as a cd-rom drive using free MS software. Have a look at a different forum: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=589828

......"To get around the Vista RC1 installation error 0x80070570 when installing
    from DVD I found this solution.
    Instead of burning the .iso image to DVD I mounted it via this software from
    Micorsoft:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7841-4978-96f5-bd58df02efa2/winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel_21.exe
    I used it installing Vista RC1 under Virtual PC 2004. It seems as if the iso gets corrupted when burned to DVD because I used the same .iso when mounting it via the free MS software." .............

This also worked fine for me. No more problems with the downloaded ISO-image.

Hope it will also help you.

Regards,

VistaSetter

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:45 PM
  • Got Vista to install BTW and apart from my system running slow as, it looks pretty good.
    Thursday, October 05, 2006 6:24 AM
  • i have the same problem. i think it is really a hardware related issue. i used the same virtual pc cd and vista rc1 dvd on 2 different machines. one of them work perfectly and one of them has that install.wim error.
    Friday, October 06, 2006 6:38 AM
  •  

Don't lose your time downloading again. Use a md5sum (I am use cygwin) program to compare hash with this information at http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc1/en/download.htm. If it is match, your ISO is ok, and the problem is in the burning process.

I had same problem trying burn ISO in a DVD-RW media. You must burn iso in a DVD-R media instead of DVD-RW and be happy.

Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:04 PM
  • This post was a great help as I was running into the exact same problem.  I'm running a 4 y/o dell dimension8200 that I've been patching up for some time now with cheap fixes... $24 USB 2.0 PCI card, a new*er ATI video card, a Cnet network card & Soundblaster audio card that came with the computer (that Vista does not support), a replacement 120gig HDD, and the old 56k.  I took out everything except the vid card and it installed fine.  I originally tried swapping out the DVD drive with a newer one from a scrap PC; didnt work.  Took out the network and soundcard; didnt work.  So, I yanked everything from my spare HDD to the sound&ethernet controllers, to the USB PCI card, and the floppy drive; installed perfectly.

5384 worked with all of the equipment installed, so it's puzzling to find RC1 is so sensitive.  This is my first time beta testing an OS, so I guess I'm not 100% familiar with the process, but wouldn't one think that, just from the title "Release Candidate," that this is going to be pretty close to the release version?  I think that they should add the support into these release candidates that they plan on putting into the actual relase... or am I just assuming that they really won't expect the average user to have to sit there and randomly yank old parts to get this to work?  And even if that is the case, what happend to the good 'ol idea of backwards compatibility??

ugh.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 5:16 AM
  • I was getting that same error and finally was able to make the program run by putting the DVD Rom in the master position on the IDE cable and booting with the Windows Vista CD in. I used the same disk that was giving me the error, which makes me think it was a configuration problem. The first tries the DVD Rom was on the same cable but in the slave position.

This performed a clean install and I was able to choose the new drive I added for Vista.

The option was there for me to go into windows and upgrade also, but I decided to do the clean install.

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:52 PM
  • I am also receiving this error.  I haven't progressed all the way through these pages of posts, so maybe there is a solution in here.  One thing that I've noticed in trying to download the ISO file from multiple computers on different networks using IE6, IE7, and Firefox is that even though it is stated on the web site that the file should be 2.59 GB, all of the attempts stop at exactly 2 GB as if the file were 100% downloaded.  I'll continue reading through all of these posts, but just in case this is some kind of symptom of a server-side issue wherever the ISO files are stored, I wanted to say something about it.  The other thing is that the Ak. Download Manager does not work, either.  I've tried the ActiveX and Java versions in IE and Firefox.
    Saturday, October 28, 2006 6:06 PM
  • I typically use Hash O Matic which is a simple little zip file.  Unzip it to a folder, give it the file, select the type of hash you want to compare it with.  Typically I think Microsoft uses a Sha1 hash which it does.  Get download from here:

http://www.kwakkelflap.com/downloads.html

Friday, November 17, 2006 11:20 PM
  • I also had the same problem with the installation on Virtual PC 2004 SP1. I got the DVD from someone else who had downloaded (he said it was RC2 - not so sure about it). I tried the installation from my DVD writer, and I got the error, read through all the posts here, and then tried the installation through my normal DVD drive (which is not a writer) and it is busy installing, so to me it seems it is definitely a hardware problem, specifically if you are using a DVD writer. I'm lucky that I have both on my PC.

Hope this helps some people

Friday, December 08, 2006 12:25 PM
  • Nope final version does same error!!!!!! on a New Install!!!
    Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:59 PM
  •  

My issue was resolved by disconnecting one of the CD/DVD units installed in my system. Bam, it installed with no errors.

I have the DVD unit setup as master and the CDRW unit set to slave on the secondary IDE channel. I'll change both to cable select later on, I'm just happy it's working!

Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 7:24 PM
  • Hi Joe,

Did you ever resolve that issue with Vista - I have had to rebuild a friends new Dell inspiron 1525 laptop which came with vista Home Premium - As the Dell laptop came with a restoration DVD, when formatting the hdd and installing a fresh version I too have the windows Error Code: 0x80070570

Just wanted to know if you had a fix - I do feel Dell have sent out a bad Vista DVD - It can happen ( It has happened before)

Ok - So I formatted the C: and now the install almost finishes I say almost - then I have a new blue screen ntfs.sys STOP ERROR 0X001904AB.

Can you HELP

Thanks

David CROSS

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 11:45 PM
  • hello everyone

I'm having a problem installing vista on this brand new medion pc, when I'm installing it gives me the mentioned codenumber and says a file is corrupted or something, Is this a bad dvd I've recieved?

-Anders
    Friday, October 03, 2008 2:00 PM
  • On startup before windows logo press F8 - You wantb Startup Repair selection 

Overview of the Windows Vista Repair options

Windows Vista comes with a rich feature set of diagnostic and repair tools that you can use in the event that your computer is not operating correctly. These tools allow you to diagnose problems and repair them without having to boot into Windows. This provides much greater flexibility when it comes to fixing problems that you are not able to resolve normally. This guide focuses on using the Startup Repair utility to automatically fix problems starting Windows Vista. The tutorial will also provide a brief description of the advanced repair tools with links to tutorials on how to use them.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:03 PM
  • I was getting the Error install.wim does not exist ... when installing the Windows 7 beta on a new system. After reading numerous posts and burning several disks I was just getting the same results. The one thing with this system was that it was utilizing an IDE based cd/dvd combo drive with a SATA HD as the channel 2 master.  The .iso file appears to be okay as far as I could tell. The ribbon cable I had in the unit had a secondary IDE connection so I hooked up an older IDE drive and rebooted the system. "BINGO" now when running the installation I got the advanced install screen and I could select the SATA drive. This is not optimally the way I would want to work around an install like this as we currently utilize the HP 5800 systems and there is no IDE onboard only SATA. Hopefully Microsoft will get the driver sets correct before releasing the final build. If not I see alot of troubled technicians in the future. Any thoughts???
    Monday, February 02, 2009 12:52 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.

Here is the scenario.
    I have a Notebook PC (a mini so no CD/DVD drive).
    I hook in a USB CD/DVD drive.
    There is no restoration or main drive partitions on the hard disk.
    I'm using a restoration DVD Windows Vista Business SP1 to in stall the system.
    I select the drive I want to install (just Partition 0).
    Then its says its Expanding files.....
    After 2 mins I get Error code 0x80070570.

Any ideas on how I can get past this and install the OS?

Saturday, February 21, 2009 2:26 AM
  • Windows 7  Error Code: 0x80070570

photo

http://i40.tinypic.com/4sxlco.png
    mmg1818
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:17 AM
  • Windows 7  Error Code: 0x80070570

photo

http://i40.tinypic.com/4sxlco.png
    mmg1818
    Having the exact same error on a Dell Inspiron 1525 :S
    i used the same disc to format 7 other computers but this stuborn dell inspiron just won't get it....
    at the same time, when i try booting windows xp installation it detects no harddrive, and when i tried vista it gave me bluescreen...
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 2:46 PM
  • this was happended to me . Windows 7 ask  for 2GB memory for install. My memory was only 1GB .bad choise.
    Saturday, December 26, 2009 9:00 PM
  • I got the same error code 0x80070570, and tried all your suggestion, but didn't help for me. Finally I changed my memories of the computer, and it fixed my problem. I got the problem when I try to install Server 2008 R2.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 11:22 AM
  • I BURN 3 WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X64, 5 WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM X86 12 WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X64 

BUT SAME ERROR ANYONE ME BEFORE I WASTE 50 DVD 5 

Friday, June 10, 2011 8:51 AM