none
Uninstall Powertoys

Question

• Hi,

I upgraded Windows XP SP2 to Windows Vista. I had some Powertoys in XP and I did not uninstall them before the upgrade. Now I don't see a way to do it. The uninstall always refuses to start because it's not the XP no matter that the only thing I want to do is to uninstall. Does anybody run into such situation? Could you help me resolve it?

Thank you,

Alex

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 8:57 PM

Answers

• i was able to uninstall desktop powertoys in XP by deleting the file in

C://windows/downloaded installations/????.

forgot the name, but it was the only file.

hope this helps !

hdfh
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• same issue reproduced here
    Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:23 PM
  • I found the following article, but it didn't work for me. May be someone else will have a better luck:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article08-500

Friday, February 02, 2007 9:29 PM
  • You might want to locate the uninstall program in the powertoy directory and set the compatible mode to XP Pro and then try to run the uninstall.
    Monday, February 05, 2007 3:52 AM
  • Having the same problem here, I tried vcarious things to no avail. Problem is the "uninstallation" program IS the MSI that installs the powertoy so there is no uninstall program other then the original MSI. If you try and change the compatibility mode of the actual MSI there is no option to do so. You can change the compatibility mode of the msinstaller.exe but I tried that and it doesn't work. Perhaps there is a way to modify the MSI using Orca or something to trick it into ignoring the OS? /shrug

Anyone uninstall the powertoys successfully?
    Tuesday, February 06, 2007 3:48 PM
  • I am about to do a Manual removal via the Registry.  But that is usually more work than it's worth.  Microsoft needs to create a removal tool, or a version of MSIexec that allows you to remove legacy XP programs.  The part I am most upset about, is I ran the upgrade advisor, and it didn't tell me to remove them.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 7:21 PM
  • Ya I guess they overlooked this issue or something.  I imagine there will be a solution sooner or later~

I wonder if you could run the old msiexec.exe from XP SP2 on a vista system to uninstall the old powertoys!!! Doubt it would work but worth a try~
    Monday, February 12, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Great Idea.  unfortunatly I just tried it and no luck.  I guess it's back to the Drawing board.  I am about to just resort to brute force registry uninstall.  I guess I better get my Vista DVD ready as well as my backups.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Quite surprised there is no solution for this yet.  There must be like a bazillion upgraders suffering from this stupidity~
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:42 PM
  • At the very least the upgrade advisor needs to be updated so that it recommends uninstalling XP powertoys before upgrade.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 3:50 PM
  • Aye, that would definitely be a must.  I can understand them not having every software under the sun in the upgrade advisory but their own software and utilities should be at the very least~
    Friday, February 16, 2007 4:27 PM
  • I ran the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor and it specifically stated that my Windows XP PowerToys Timershot Toy was not compatibile with Windows Vista.

To me this meant it might not be optimum to have this particular PowerToy already installed at the time of my Vista upgrade or intall it after a Vista installation.

Other PowerToys I have not had any issues with that are listed as compatibile with Windows Vista are:

1. Open Command Line
    2. Tweak UI
    3. Image Resizer

And have not had any problems with them.

It depends on if these things are updated, best to do a clean install.

Larry

Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:13 PM
  • I have the same issue with my upgrade from XP home ed to Vista Home Premium.  Same exact thing happens to me.
    Monday, May 07, 2007 3:44 AM
  • Same issue here too.  Tried all the other suggestions out there to no avail.  Come on Microsoft, let's get it together.  A) fix the upgrade advisor and add this and a pre-upgrade item B) provide an unistall utility to remove this.
    Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:23 PM
  • I had the same problem if you use a program called Your Unistall 2006 (you can get it from cnet.com and it comes with a 21 day free trial) its very easy to use and it will uninstall the powertoys for you.

David

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Bump..  I am having the same issue.. Has anyone found a solution for this yet?

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 3:48 PM
  • You must have Administrator rights.  This is Microsoft's way of protecting the user from themselves.  I can only assume that based on the number of trouble calls their helpdesk have received, the majority of the problems are users tweaking things that should not be tweaked.  Like playing in the registry or installing ActiveX files.

Click Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
    Click on Turn User Account Control On Or Off
    A dialog window will pop up.  Press Continue.
    When the next window opens, remove the checkmark and click OK
    You will be prompted to restart so the changes can take effect

This now gives you the true authority of Administrator rights.  The same rights you had on Windows 2000 and XP.

Be careful with this new power.  :-)

Friday, January 11, 2008 1:10 PM
  • --[Problem is the "uninstallation" program IS the MSI that installs the powertoy so there is no uninstall program other then the original MSI.]--

That's just solved my problem of how to get rid of PowerCalc!  I'd not saved the original .msi (ran it from the browser) so just went back and re-downloaded the .msi but this time unticked all the components.  It uninstalled correctly (this is all in XP though).
    Friday, January 09, 2009 4:47 PM

hope this helps !

hdfh
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:30 PM
  • sorry, looks like it just turned it off for awhile.

it's BACK :(

hdfh
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 7:04 PM

hope this helps !

hdfh

ya it is working..... thanks......

1. C://windows/downloaded installations/

2. select the which powertoy to uninstall (if u already install, it is visible in that folder) 

3. run it and select remove and finish..

Saturday, March 01, 2014 7:25 AM