none
Microsoft Office 2007 Contacting Server For Information

Question

• When trying to paste web content into Word 2007, at the bottom of the Word window appears a status stating "Contacting the server for Information. Press ESC to cancel", at wich point word freezes and only pressing ESC unfreezes it.  The content is never actually pasted. In this instance, I would expect possibly a UAC, or firewall prompt to pop-up asking for permission or something, but that never happens.  Is there a work-around for this behavior.  I paste information from web sources pretty regularly into Word, so this is rather frustrating.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I just tried to reproduce your scenario (using this page) but don't run into the same problem.
    Are you sure you're updated with the latest fixes (sp2 for office) etc.?

Regards

Rem
    • Marked as answer by andrews240 Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:51 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I just tried to reproduce your scenario (using this page) but don't run into the same problem.
    Are you sure you're updated with the latest fixes (sp2 for office) etc.?

Regards

Rem
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Thanks Zeus76.  It appears that the issue was a temporary one.  Everything copies and pastes fine now.

Thanks again.
    • Unmarked as answer by andrews240 Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:51 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:51 PM
  • I get the same problem. It seems that my Word 2007 application cannot cut and paste from a page in IE without refering back to the server. The message is:

"Contacting the server for information. Press ESC to cancel."

The result of this is that simple paste takes about a minute. Oh I do love the increased feeling of productivity I get from using Word2007.

I am using the latest versions and am on live update - I am also not alone in using a slow internet connection, something Microsoft Developers are too probably young to remember. Switching off the Internet connection will stop Word in its tracks at this point, which can be annoying if in a hurry.

The workaround is to use paste special and then paste as plain text. Then all you have to do is spend another minute taking out the 10point spacing between each line.  I have worked out how to fix this once, but my hard disk failed, so no I have to work out how to do it all over again.

I have also noticed that if I had some special formatting on a line and then cut and paste it back to the same place, the layout changes. Why is that?

Phil

Vista User
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:50 PM
  • I see the same issue.  Seems it only exist when you are copy/pasting from a slow website.  Word contacts the website to obtain the picture.
    A great example is copy/pasting from the current Tylenol website :  http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com/page.jhtml?id=/include/prd_all.inc
    The site is overwhelmed, and you can't copy/paste easily.  You also have problem printing from the same site, due to lack of response.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 7:19 PM
  • I to had been running into the same issue with copy/pasting into Microsoft Word 2007. All updates applied and so-on. Really annoying as it was, I took it upon myself to break it down and figure it out. The only thing I caould think of is an issue between IE 8 and Word 2007, so I used firefox and BAM! I was back to being the master of copying/pasting notes for my college courses and could spend more time studying and being productive rather than scavenging forums for hours on end. nHope it helps, Im not a huge fan of firefox but it does work to get around this so it might grow on ya.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:59 PM