Windows 8: Snipping tool is gone

Question

• Hi,

Why? this tool is useful

tnx

Friday, August 10, 2012 12:41 AM

Answers

• In Windows 8, to capture something from Windows 8 start screen or a Windows 8 app:

1) Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, just start typing the word "snip" and press enter.  This will throw you into the Windows 8 Desktop)

2) Press the Esc. key.

3) Switch back to your Windows 8 start screen or Windows 8 app (Swipe from left or press Window Button)

4) Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool to capture part of your Windows 8 Start screen or Windows 8 app.

5) Draw a box around what you want.

ALSO: From Windows 8 Start screen or Windows 8 app, you can always press Win+PrntScr to capture to clipboard.

• Proposed as answer by dpolara65 Friday, December 14, 2012 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by MGerio Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:35 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 1:25 PM
  • tnx

found in c:\windows\system32

• Marked as answer by MGerio Friday, August 10, 2012 3:03 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Why? this tool is useful

tnx

Yes, I have noticed that it is not easily discoverable.  But it is there (it was some time ago, but I think that it is in the Win32 directory).  Likely it would not work in the Metro/WinRT apps but I have not tried.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 12:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Why? this tool is useful

tnx

Yes, I have noticed that it is not easily discoverable.  But it is there (it was some time ago, but I think that it is in the Win32 directory).  Likely it would not work in the Metro/WinRT apps but I have not tried.
    Friday, August 10, 2012 12:55 AM
  • tnx

Friday, August 10, 2012 3:03 AM
  • tnx

Good, sorry for the typo previously.  I meant to say system32
    Friday, August 10, 2012 3:48 AM
  • Just type snip in the app search box on the Start Screen.

Jerry

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Likely it would not work in the Metro/WinRT apps but I have not tried.

That seems to be partially correct: you can still take screenshots of Metro apps if you have a secondary monitor, or if you dock the Metro app to the side. Otherwise, there's no way to click the "New" button.

In essence, they hid the Snipping Tool to hide a glaring inherent usability issue with Metro.

the cows are here to take me home now...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Wasn't it always in Windows accessories - can't really remember?  If so, that is where it still remains.

I use the prnt  screen or Alt prnt screen options if I have a need for taking snips of items in the Metro screen. They can then be edited in Paint.

David Clarke

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:59 AM
  • I use the prnt  screen or Alt prnt screen options if I have a need for taking snips of items in the Metro screen. They can then be edited in Paint.

That's inconvenient convenient for a number of reasons:

1. Hardly any users know about print screen, because there's almost no indication anywhere that you can take a screenshot that way, especially ever since Snipping Tool was introduced in Vista in 2006. Even fewer know about alt+printscr.
    2. You often don't want a screenshot of a whole screen or a whole window.
    3. Pasting the screenshot in Paint is an additional step, which becomes an issue when you're trying to take quite a few screenshots.

There are good reasons that Snipping Tool was introduced. The reasons for its removal, on the other hand, seem almost certainly to be political.

the cows are here to take me home now...

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:06 AM
  • No argument from here. But the Prnt screen and Alt prnt screen  option has been around for generations. It has been in help for several years. Users who have not yet found this facility should be able to get , surely, from somewhere, how to use it. I do ponder on how those same users found, and learned, how to use the snipping tool however

I don't really see an issue, if you need more than one shot, but, that is IMO, I guess.

We do not want to drift away from what Windows offers, I realise, but there are quite a few third part offerings which can do precisely what the snipping tool does.

I don't understand your comment number 3 so, in turn, I will NOT comment.

David Clarke

• Edited by davehc1MVP Wednesday, August 15, 2012 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 10:22 AM
  • From my experiences a lot of people use alt/ctrl + prtscr.  I've worked in a large number of offices during the last decade or so and there are always people who use it.

Most people don't know about the snipping tool - it's faster for them to hit two keys then ctrl-v into an email.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually use the snipping tool.  Although I've seen the OneNote version used quite a few times.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Use Windows Key + S if you have Office OneNote installed, it copies the picture to clipboard, then you an paste it to mspaint.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 11:57 PM
  • The Snip tool is extremly useful especially if you teach various computer classes as I do. I can take a snip of just what I am doing and quickly insert it in a PPT presentation while with print screen I get the entire screen which I then have to crop Etc. What a pain. That alone will keep me from Win 8 but first to be sure I am heading to a MS store today to try it.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Here is how I found it in W8.

Go to C:\Windows and search for shippingtool

It will find several hits. Find one like this with a scissors icon:

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-snippingtool-app_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_966f0e105b09b8a3

Right click on that. Then click on pin to start in the menu that drops down. That will put the Snipping Tool on the start page ready to use.

• Edited by JWGeorge Monday, December 10, 2012 3:18 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 3:54 AM
  • In Windows 8, to capture something from Windows 8 start screen or a Windows 8 app:

1) Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 8 Start Screen, just start typing the word "snip" and press enter.  This will throw you into the Windows 8 Desktop)

2) Press the Esc. key.

3) Switch back to your Windows 8 start screen or Windows 8 app (Swipe from left or press Window Button)

4) Press Ctrl+PrntScr button to use Snipping Tool to capture part of your Windows 8 Start screen or Windows 8 app.

5) Draw a box around what you want.

ALSO: From Windows 8 Start screen or Windows 8 app, you can always press Win+PrntScr to capture to clipboard.

• Proposed as answer by dpolara65 Friday, December 14, 2012 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by MGerio Thursday, January 03, 2013 5:35 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 1:25 PM
  • best answer!
    Thursday, January 03, 2013 4:12 AM
  • You can use https://captureitplus.codeplex.com/. It is a alternative application to Snipping tool, with lot of other features
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:48 AM
  • can always press Win+PrntScr to capture to clipboard.

That captures to Pictures\Screenshots.   The older shortcuts capture to ClipBoard.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:30 PM
  • thanks. it works. good adivce
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:05 PM