none
Windows 7 Ulitmate x64 RTM nVidia nForce 6 Raid install fails

Question

• I got the drivers straight from nVidia's site, they claimed it was compatible with Win 7 x64.  Setup sees my raided harddrive before I even load the drivers.  I put in a floppy with the drivers and click load drivers during the installation.  It sees 3 drivers, Raid Controller, Raid device, SATA controller.  I load each one in that order, click next and it says it can't make a partition or see one, or something like that, sorry I am at a work computer and can't remember the error right now.  HELP!  Why won't it use the nVidia supplied drivers to load up Win 7?
    Saturday, September 05, 2009 10:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Obviously the system cannot recognize the RAID after you load the IDE disk. This should not be a Windows 7 related question. It seems that the newly installed RAID controller driver cause this issue. I suggest that you access NVIDIA nForce related forums, or contact NVIDIA support for more information.

NVIDIA Support

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:46 AM

All replies

• I had an IDE hard drive slaved, once I removed it, and all the motherboard and Windows saw was the RAID, it installed. I used nVidia RAID drivers from a floppy that i downloaded from nVidia. It installed.   It created a 100MB partion called System and put some of the install files there.  I think it was trying to put these install files to the IDE drive but couldn't so the install was failing.  The DVD/CDRW drive I installed from was IDE. Once Windows was loaded if I tried to attach the IDE hard drive it would not boot up. It would stick on the Starting Windows screen. So i gave up for awhile and attched the IDE hard drive via a USB adapter to get my backup info. It saw the hard drive no problem. I did some updates, installed some drivers. I copied all my backup info to the working install C: drive. I then formatted the old backup hard drive and setup the partition again. I was hoping after doing this the IDE controller would see everything ok. It didn't, it would just hang on Starting Windows. I really need to get back into my install now and at least recover my backup info before I wipe everything and start again. I have done a Windows Startup Repair and it did a Restore, but on the first reboot from the first Restore attempt is hung again. I also tried to do a recovery using the install disc but even that hung up.  Right now as I am trying to do another Startup Recovery I have everything unplugged but the RAID drives and the floppy drive.  I am using SLI video cards, but did the install this way and didn't have an issue.  Anyone have any ideas? I just want my data off the RAID before I wipe it.
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 8:51 AM
  • Try checking the boot order in the BIOS when you have the IDE drive outside the RAID connected.  It sounds like the BIOS is trying to boot from the IDE drive rather than the RAID.  Since there is no system on the IDE, it hangs.  Make sure that the RAID is before the IDE in the boot order in th BIOS with the IDE drive connected.
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 3:11 PM
  • I can't imagine that that is it.  It hangs with no device connected at all.  With no device present it won't put it in the boot order.  It doesn't put things in a boot order of IDE Master or IDE Slave, it lists them by actual hard drive model or DVD drive model.  If they aren't there, there is nothing to list.  I have put Windows XP to another IDE hard drive, done a driver update, drivers that came witht the motherboard.  And upon reboot Windows XP will hang with only the IDE hard drive and IDE DVD plugged in.  I just pulled some jumpers out completely that affect only the Siilicon Image SATA ports of 6 and 7 that have to be RAID if they are used.  Windows XP booted up after the driver install.  Hopefully I am getting closer.
    Monday, September 07, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Hello,

Are you using a SCSI RAID?  Your IDE hard drive may not be compatible with SCSI RAID. Can you see RAID after Windows XP booted?

Thomas Lin
    Monday, September 07, 2009 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Obviously the system cannot recognize the RAID after you load the IDE disk. This should not be a Windows 7 related question. It seems that the newly installed RAID controller driver cause this issue. I suggest that you access NVIDIA nForce related forums, or contact NVIDIA support for more information.

NVIDIA Support

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:46 AM
  • No disrespect, Aurthur, but if there were a "Vote As Unhelpful" option I may have used it...  The problem is that with MS, Motherboard manufacturers, and Chipset manufacturers all pointing in the other direction, it's hard to get any definitive help.  Since MS, presumably, did a huge amount of testing, over a wide variety of different hardware, it's perfectly reasonable to come here for help *in addition to following up with the other vendors*.  A simple redirect, as above, to the other vendor is a bit of a frustrating response (especially if one has already attempted that).

This is a bit premature since I haven't completely exhausted all my alternatives yet, but...  I have a similar situation:

ASUS P5N-E SLI motherboard
    NVIDIA chipset, including SATA RAID

I have two Western Digital RE3 SATA drives in for a RAID 1 configuration plus an additional Seagate Barracuda as a separate, non-arrayed drive.

The array is set as bootable and has been configured in the BIOS to be ahead of the Seagate.

The Windows 7 install shows the arrayed drive in the list for available disks to install to and will even let me create a primary partition on it.  However, pressing "Next" simply issues the error message that the disk was not valid for installation and I should look at the setup logfile for more information (NOTE: it would be extremely nice if once could bring up a text file viewer at this point).  Backing out and getting to a command prompt via the repair option and wading through the logfile shows error messages along the lines of the drive not being considered bootable (although re-verification in the NVRAID BIOS setup shows that it is, still bootable).  I've tried with the latest set of NVIDIA drivers which are available from the vendor and listed as W7 compatible.

My first contact with ASUS was a re-direct to NVIDIA.  I'm still waiting for a response from NVIDIA (imagine how frustrating it will be if they tell me I need to follow up with either MS or ASUS!!).  However, my understanding was that Windows 7 came with NVIDIA RAID support in the box so perhaps we can get some clarification as to what *should* be supported by Windows 7 without having to jump through hoops.

On my list still to do is re-flash my main BIOS and retry.  If that fails, disconnect my non-RAID drive and retry (akin to vfighters subsequent post).  If I still can't install, go back to Vista x64 and see if I can install on the RAID 1 array there and then upgrade.  Failing that, perhaps I can install XP x64 and do the two-stage upgrade through Vista to get to W7.
    Monday, November 02, 2009 9:40 PM