none
Windows 7: microphone conflicts with line-in?

Question

• I've seen so many complaints with microphone issues described, along with the automated Related Topics. None of which (that I skimmed at least) stated definitively that you cannot use a microphone and line-in simultaneously. My drivers are up-to-date, Win 7 is u.t.d. as well. There are no hardware conflicts, alerts, nor registry errors to be corrected in my system. The on board audio is fully capable of performing the task of handling the combined inputs. In fact it did so fluently under Win XP. Now, each device handles perfectly separately on my system but when my microphone is active and I plug in line-in, it sets itself as default device and microphone becomes currently unavailable. Even when I set microphone as default communications device, line-in still supersedes it and it remains currently unavailable. I'm not considering "returning to a more familiar experience" through XP. I just want to know if this par for the course and if there is any way to bypass the settings.
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 3:42 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried to set the Microphone to default device? If you do not, please try it.

Make sure you already installed the latest version drivers for your audio card.

Perhaps, you may find some options in the audio driver console. Please check and try it.

Also, you can not use the Mic on the Line-In jack. Usually, the multiple output audio card have several jacks. Of course, you can set the purpose of the jacks in the audio driver console. Please check it.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you tried to set the Microphone to default device? If you do not, please try it.

Make sure you already installed the latest version drivers for your audio card.

Perhaps, you may find some options in the audio driver console. Please check and try it.

Also, you can not use the Mic on the Line-In jack. Usually, the multiple output audio card have several jacks. Of course, you can set the purpose of the jacks in the audio driver console. Please check it.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 8:49 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem.

Putting back the microphone as a default device works but doesn't solve the problem.
    I want to use the line-in and the microphone simultaneously:

• microphone as a recording device for skype
    • line-in for playing LP's on my phono trough my computer speakers

My audio card supports it for sure, it worked in winxp, it's a bug in Windows 7, maybe also in Vista.

In the Audio driver console I can see a signal input on both channels,
    but the Windows audio console doens't allow to have more than 1 recording device (the default one)
    Though it's true that you can select a:

• default recording device
      and a
    • default communication device

but once you select the default communication device, the other device becomes "currently unavailable"

so I think it's really a bug in Windows 7,
    what do u think about it Microsoft?

Thanks in advance

Kleajmp
    Monday, August 08, 2011 12:58 PM
  • I also have the same problem, someone has solved it?
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Same here. Any solution?
    Friday, November 02, 2012 6:39 PM