Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client (VPN Client) fails to work after upgrading to Windows 8.1

Question

• I upgraded to Window 8.1 Preview and my Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client VPN fails to connect.  I tried uninstalling, rebooting, and reintalling with no luck.  When the Cisco AnyConnect is attempting to connect, it shows "Performing any required updates".  Then the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Downloader dialog appears saying the AnyConnect client servic is not responding. and then the following alert appears "VPN lcient agent was unable to send a success response to an IPC peer requesting the creations of a VPN connection".  

It appears I have to restore back to Windows 8 if possible.

Friday, June 28, 2013 5:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• Same here.  I even tried going back to the Cisco IPSEC client (5.0.07.0290) but this did not work either.

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:47 AM
  • Same, I rolled back to 8.0. 
    Friday, June 28, 2013 6:58 AM
  • hi,

i have the same problem with anyconnect, but how you can uninstall 8.1 preview??

br

Friday, June 28, 2013 7:13 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, as well as many others since upgrading to 8.1.
    Friday, June 28, 2013 9:19 AM
  • Solution for the Cisco IPSEC client (5.0.07.0290) and Windows 8.1 preview:

Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and right-click the CvirtA.sys file.

Click the Security tab

give All Application Packages, System and any other groups and/or user names full control.

click save and override any warning prompts...

This works flawlessly for me...

KevinTBowers

• Edited by KevinTBowers Friday, June 28, 2013 4:35 PM more detail
    • Proposed as answer by KevinTBowers Friday, June 28, 2013 4:37 PM
    Friday, June 28, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Found the answer on this site:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-networking/cisco-anyconnect-vpn-does-not-work/f452930c-acca-4106-b8f8-b14f3d3227ba?tm=1372443336085

and it worked for me.

Go to device manager in control panel.  If you have 2 Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Adapters under network adapters, delete one.  If you only have one, ensure that it's enabled.

Friday, June 28, 2013 6:17 PM
  • I'm having the same issue with Windows 8.1 and the cicso VPN (5.0.07.0440) with a strange twist.

I could not connect, same as everyone else so I...

Uninstalled.

Reinstalled.

Fixed the registry key.

Rebooted.

Removed the extra Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for Windows x64 in the device manager

Rebooted.

Then I was able to connect...Once!  I got connected, I could reach my work servers.  I disconnected, then tried to reconnect, Boom adapter error, ugh!

Rebooted, still can't connect.

Tried stopping and starting the Cisco VPN service, still nothing.

Why is it that my android tablet has this VPN access built into it natively and Microsoft does not!!!  This would solve all of our issues with the Cisco VPN client every time a new version of Windows comes out.  Get on the ball Microsoft!  Group XAuth IPsec with PSK!

Saturday, June 29, 2013 5:14 PM
  • I gave up and went back to Windows 8 on my Surface Pro.  Everything is working fine now.  I wish I would have looked this up BEFORE I went to 8.1.

I restored from USB drive.  By the way, if you are planning to do that, make sure you take out your micro SD card first if you have one.  The restore would not work until I took it out.  Also, to restore from USB drive, turn off the computer, take out your micro SD if you have one, plug in you USB restore drive, hold down the volume down button, turn on the computer, follow the prompts. 

• Edited by jdneilso Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:20 AM put in data from another post
    Sunday, June 30, 2013 3:19 AM
  • I suggest you report this issue to Cisco.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:34 AM
  • Hi there,

I just fixed this ...

1) Uninstalled AnyConnect Client

2) Rebooted

3) Downloaded and installed the latest AnyConnect Client

4) Rebooted

5) Went to device Manager - disabled device and uninstalled device (does not go). THEN I CLICKED UPDATE DRIVER -> From Web

6) I re-enabled the device

And now it's working perfectly...

The driver version is 3.1.234.0 - the date is 3/4/2012

• Proposed as answer by Aanidaani Friday, July 12, 2013 5:46 PM
    Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:21 PM
  • Thanks this did the trick.

I have been battling this problem for weeks since upgrading to 8.1. Found two Cisco AnyConnect adaptors in device manager, deleted the non enabled one and done!!!!

Problem solved. Thank you

Monday, August 19, 2013 12:15 PM