none
Should I install Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit or 64-bit?

Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, with Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3200 @ 2.0GHz, 2.00GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HD, Gigabyte ATI 4670 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card (Desktop version, running through the ExpressCard slot, through a dock) 32 inch Samsung TV (just thought I would throw that in there. :P)

I have truly killed my current installation by forgetting to backup before a "Registry Optimization" which now I know is a bunch of lies. I use the computer primarily for GAMING, and internet browsing, and possibly some schoolwork here and there (Microsoft Office type things).

What are the differences between the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version, other than the 4GB RAM limit in the 32-bit version?

Which one runs faster and possibly uses less resources, or which is BEST for GAMING? (Consider ALSO, amoung other factros, which version (32-bit or 64-bit) has the better drivers for ATI 4670)

I cannot decide because I dont know the differences, please assist me into figuring out which I should install.

Thank you VERY MUCH.

Josh

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 7:15 AM

Answers

• 1. Comparing 32 bit and 64 bit, please see the following documents:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Taking the mystery out of 64-bit Windows

2. ATI Radeon 4670 releases both Windows 7 32 bit version and Windows 7 64 bit version on AMD Driver download site. You can use either of them according to your Operating System architecture. In my opinion, I recommend you to use 32 bit version based on the following reasons:

1) You only have 2 GB RAM.
    2) 32 bit application is designed before 64 bit application, 32 bit may have a better compatibility with the older 32 bit applications.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:21 AM
  • 64 bit OS are not for most people, unless the program is written for 64 bit OS then in many cases it will run slower, lockup.

Lack of 64 bit drivers for most devices older than a year or two are far and few.

So unless you have a NEED to go with 64 bit, I would say do not, unless you just like pain and suffing..

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:09 PM

All replies

• 1. Comparing 32 bit and 64 bit, please see the following documents:

32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions

Taking the mystery out of 64-bit Windows

2. ATI Radeon 4670 releases both Windows 7 32 bit version and Windows 7 64 bit version on AMD Driver download site. You can use either of them according to your Operating System architecture. In my opinion, I recommend you to use 32 bit version based on the following reasons:

1) You only have 2 GB RAM.
    2) 32 bit application is designed before 64 bit application, 32 bit may have a better compatibility with the older 32 bit applications.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:21 AM
  • I am thinking of upgrading later t 4GB of memory, and I am a SERIOUS GAMER!!! so wouldnt the 64-bit be a better choice for me?

I am a power user also, like the article says, it is better for us.

Will 64-bit run slower than 32-bit, or will it be approximately the same?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 8:08 PM
  • I would check out gaming sites for reviews on your games and 64bit Windows. I believe some work better, but some work worse and it differs from game to game. Personally I went back to 32bit recently and haven't noticed any difference in speed or performance in games on my system (Core 2 Duo 6420 and 4GB ram)
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:31 PM
  • What caused you to go back?
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 9:35 PM
  • 64 bit OS are not for most people, unless the program is written for 64 bit OS then in many cases it will run slower, lockup.

Lack of 64 bit drivers for most devices older than a year or two are far and few.

So unless you have a NEED to go with 64 bit, I would say do not, unless you just like pain and suffing..

Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:09 PM
  • I do not have anything older than a year or two that I use with this computer

Why is 64-bit highly recommended by some people and others say go with 32-bit?

Odd...
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Some people have their preference as to what bit type to use...

Hope this is straightforward enough...

32-bit: Has more program and driver support than 64-bit, but has 4 GB RAM addressing limit. Great for checking emails.

64-bit:
    Has a bit better performance than 32-bit with high-performance apps, such as 60,000 cell spreadsheets, Photoshop/video editing, and games.

- JoelbX    My favorite threads | Computer tips
          Contact me | 'Gadget' programs           (Join my Folding@home team!)
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:09 PM
  • I am going to be using photoshop and gaming for the most part. Homework and stuff also, but not as much.

Thank you.
    Tuesday, February 02, 2010 11:13 PM