none
Windows 7 Pro RAID implementation?

Question

• Hello.  I have been running Windows 7 "Ultimate" RC 64-bit, and love it.  Thanks.  I have a copy (and code) for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, from the MSDN Academic Alliance.  I want to install it, but at the same time have been thinking about implementing RAID.  I am currently running a 320GB Seagate SATA "C" hard drive, and a 250GB SATA "F"  hard drive. 

I have an MSI K9N2GM (Model MS-7508) Motherboard, with the AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+ CPU, and 4GB of "Crucial" memory, in slots 1 and 2, and 2GB of "rendition" memory, in slots 3 and 4.  It has the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 display adapter, and MSI recently assisted me in flashing BIOS to the most recent one, just before I installed the RC.

The motherboard "supports" RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5, and "JBOD."  It has 6 SATA ports, with ports 5 and 6 "only" supporting RAID.  I thought I had determined 0+1 to be my best option, and purchased an additional 320GC drive, and an additional 250GB drive...both Seagate SATA drives.  And all of the necessary cables and power adapters.

I thought this would be easy...but am finding out I might've been mistaken.  I had hoped to add the two "additional" drives, and thought I would be able to easily "turn on" "mirroring" of the drives I am running, to the additional drives.  Along the way, I created a "case" with MSI, and was informed that I would need to create a floppy with the compatible "RAID drivers," first.  Now I am being told I will need to re-install the OS, with all four drives connected, in order to load the RAID drivers, from the floppy, on all four drives.  I have also been told the four drives will "be functioning as one drive."  I am really confused.

Does what I was hoping to do make any sense, whatsoever?  Can I implement RAID, with my different sized (320GB and 250GB) drives?  Or will I be limited to the 250 GB that is the smaller of the two drives I was hoping to "mirror?"  Before I install Windows 7 Pro, should I think about doing all of this at once?  Would Microsoft SQL 2008 help me do what I want to do?

I do have a 1T external drive, that I can back up all of my data to, before beginning...if I do in fact need to reformat all four drives.

Please tell me I am not crazy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Jeff in MN
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:48 PM

Answers

• Hello Jeff,

If you set up the RAID 0+1, the four drives will be functioning as one drive. More information about RAID, you can refer the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

We have two ways to implement RAID: implementing RAID in software and implementing RAID with hardware(Motherboard).

Windows 7 supported RAID, so you do not need to reinstall Windows 7 to  implement RAID. Refer the steps that provided by artiste1. If you want to implement RAID with hardware, you need to set up the RAID in BIOS.

1. Open BIOS settings, open RAID setting screen.

2. Open Define Array option, set the RAID mode to Mirror/Stripe.

Thomas Lin

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:15 AM

All replies

• Hi, Hardware raid is set up by enabling in bios first, then configured during boot up before the OS. You will have to have Win 7 drivers from your Motherboard Maker. These at the moment may not be available. My suggestion would be to use Win 7's own software raid. The Mirror you want to set up is done by using 2 or 4 hard disk of same size or larger.  Now right click. My Computer - manage - Disk Management - right click where it say Basic disk and change all the disks you want to use as raid 1 Mirror to Dynamic.  Then To create mirror right click each of the partitions ( where your W7 is installed. ) and mirror them to same size hard disk. Slan go foill, Paul   
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Hello Jeff,

If you set up the RAID 0+1, the four drives will be functioning as one drive. More information about RAID, you can refer the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

We have two ways to implement RAID: implementing RAID in software and implementing RAID with hardware(Motherboard).

Windows 7 supported RAID, so you do not need to reinstall Windows 7 to  implement RAID. Refer the steps that provided by artiste1. If you want to implement RAID with hardware, you need to set up the RAID in BIOS.

1. Open BIOS settings, open RAID setting screen.

2. Open Define Array option, set the RAID mode to Mirror/Stripe.

Thomas Lin

Tuesday, September 15, 2009 10:15 AM
  • Hi, Hardware raid is set up by enabling in bios first, then configured during boot up before the OS. You will have to have Win 7 drivers from your Motherboard Maker. These at the moment may not be available. My suggestion would be to use Win 7's own software raid. The Mirror you want to set up is done by using 2 or 4 hard disk of same size or larger.  Now right click. My Computer - manage - Disk Management - right click where it say Basic disk and change all the disks you want to use as raid 1 Mirror to Dynamic.  Then To create mirror right click each of the partitions ( where your W7 is installed. ) and mirror them to same size hard disk. Slan go foill, Paul   
    I set up a RAID 1 array with my EVGA MB without any problems.  It went a whole lot easier than my RAID 5 set up with Vista two years ago.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:24 PM
  • Wowsers.  I clean installed Windows 7 Pro, and was able to implement RAID 1, in "hardware," this weekend.  Hooray.
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:03 PM