none
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll

Question

• Hi

Im having this RunDLL error message - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll

I have tried reload my windows 7 Pro twice and it cannot solve this problem

Pl help

Brdgs

Angela

Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Click Start, Type msconfig in Run

In system configuration dialog box, uncheck sysmenu.dll under Boot Tab if this boot option exists.

And check if there are related keys about sysmenu.dll under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

If there are, please try to delete them.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:56 AM

All replies

• Im having this RunDLL error message - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SysMenu.dll

I have tried reload my windows 7 Pro twice and it cannot solve this problem

I suspect you omitted half the message. What is the full wording?

How exactly did you reload Windows? Please report in detail.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Hi,

Click Start, Type msconfig in Run

In system configuration dialog box, uncheck sysmenu.dll under Boot Tab if this boot option exists.

And check if there are related keys about sysmenu.dll under

If there are, please try to delete them.

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, January 19, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Win XP SP3

Same error ...  missing Sysmenu.dll  displayed 3 times

I found 3 files "SMupdate1.job, SMupdate2.job and SMupdate3.job"   in the C:\Windows\Tasks folder.

Deleted ...  error gone. 

System had Virus & Spyware ...  cleaned with Malwarebytes,

Sunday, April 27, 2014 10:29 PM
  • Win XP SP3

Same error ...  missing Sysmenu.dll  displayed 3 times

I found 3 files "SMupdate1.job, SMupdate2.job and SMupdate3.job"   in the C:\Windows\Tasks folder.

Deleted ...  error gone. 

System had Virus & Spyware ...  cleaned with Malwarebytes,

HURRAH!  I had the same problem, and I have looked in LOTS of places to find a fix.  I followed your directions and the problem is fixed!

Thanks!

MRB

• Proposed as answer by Bryan U Monday, July 14, 2014 2:12 AM
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:59 PM
  • Ayuda por favor a mi también me aparece lo Mismo 3 Veces en Pero En Mi ventanas 8.1

• Edited by Bryan U Monday, July 14, 2014 2:13 AM
    Monday, July 14, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I had worked on a computer riddled with malware which MWB removed but still kept getting this rundll error.  I then did a nondestructive reinstall of Windows 7 and still got the error.  After several hours and much searching I came across your post.  I found several entries in the Tasks folder that did not point to a valid program though they were not the entries you had.  I copied them and then deleted them one at a time until the rundll error was gone.  You're a life saver. Many thanks.
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:43 AM
  • I am running Windows 7 Professional and Norton 360 and I am having the same problem. I ran a registry cleanup, full scan (no viruses or anything) and I looked under the boot tab in the system configuration dialog box but found no sysmenu.dll to uncheck. Where exactly would

be located?

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 6:17 PM
  • These are registry keys.
    Note also that "cleaning up" the registry has no effect (if you're lucky) but can be highly damaging (if you are not so lucky).
    Tuesday, July 22, 2014 7:27 PM
  • Andy Altmann, if it only occurred when she first started the computer that could be it. But if it happens later then the culprit is probably one or more of the %windir%\Tasks\*.job files, or one of the registry entries that Task Scheduler uses.

Here's a better answer (use AutoRuns):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/systemsysmenudll-the-specified-module-could-not-be/809f79e3-db5e-455b-aebb-4c0f66a8babc (the marked answer)

• Edited by BurtonSys Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:57 AM incomplete
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 5:56 AM
  • I notice this error after uninstalling YTDownloader,several times now,same thing,it asks you during uninstall if you'd like to keep sysmenu.dll,I chose no,and now get this error.
    Friday, August 15, 2014 5:08 PM
  • I see it after running malwarebytes and spybot to clean out the malware,in vista,and in 7 too I think,everything is fine until you uninstall that youtube downloader,and I'm not sure which youtube downloader it is,I know its malware or a virus,all these machines have had virus on them also.
    Friday, August 15, 2014 5:13 PM
  • cant find the sysmenu.dll under the boot tab cause my OS is window 8.1. what do i do
    • Edited by elvisemeka Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:58 AM
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 10:56 AM
  • cant find the sysmenu.dll under the boot tab cause my OS is window 8.1. what do i do

I'm reluctant to state the obvious but since the name of this forum is "Windows 7 IT Pro Windows 7 Miscellaneous", asking the experts in a Windows 8 forum seems appropriate.
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 5:46 PM
  • I am having the same DLL error as the user above.  I went into msconfig, and looked under the boot tab, but there is nothing there except Windows 7 (c:\windows) : Current OS; Default OS

Any idea of what I can do?  Thank you in advance.

Friday, August 29, 2014 4:05 PM
  • First, thank you for the provided assistance.  I have the same problem and followed your advise, but did not find any reference to SysMemu.dll under Boot Tab or under the HKEY areas using Config Editor.  I also looked in the C:\Windows\Tasks folder as someone suggested, but did not see any reference there, either.  Where else should I look?
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Hi I found a solution here to this annoying error message: http://www.kmbytes.com/blog/2014/09/01/how-to-fix-there-was-a-problem-starting-sysmenu-dll-error-in-windows-7/

It worked beautiful for me and I hope it does for you too!

Cheers

6 hours 33 minutes ago