none
Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start. - Buisness Enviroment

Question

• Hello there,
    I am a Systems Engineer trying to find a fix for the 1068 error: the dependency service or group failed to start
    I have looked at all the forums and previous posts with people having similar issues but none of the fixes have worked.
    Resetting the TCP/IP stack has not fixed this issue & neither has system restore.
    My issue has happened on 3 machines and the only connection I can find is when you connect Windows 7 Professional to a Widows 2003 Domain.
    There seems to be little documentation on weather you need to upgrade the domain controllers from 2003 to 2008 before attempting to add Windows 7 into the domain.
    The corruption seems to start once the machine is on the domain and Windows attempts to install any program or run windows updates which is becoming very frustrating.
    I have created multiple hard drive clones so i can revert back to a working state to aid me when trying to work around this.
    With these Issues outstanding I can not think about upgrading the network from XP & 2003 until these issues are fixed.
    Can someone else let me know if they have had a similar problem when trying to upgrade there environment to Windows 7 and server 2008
    Regards
    Anton James
    Thursday, April 21, 2011 2:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Anton,

Did Windows 7 joined the domain? Have you narrowed down which service failed with error 1068? The error code indicates one service's dependency service or system component fails to start.

I suggest checking the following services first.

Check service

----------------------

1. Click Start, type Services.msc in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.

2. In the right pane, double-click Microsoft Network Inspection.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

4. Also check the following services.

Function Discovery Resource Publication

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

Network Connections

Network List Service

Network Location Awareness

Network Store Interface Service

Server

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

If you find any service cannot be started with the error, please let me know the service name and error exactly.

In addition, since the issue is related to Server. I also suggest confirming the issue with Server side.

Win Server Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, April 29, 2011 9:43 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Anton,

Did Windows 7 joined the domain? Have you narrowed down which service failed with error 1068? The error code indicates one service's dependency service or system component fails to start.

I suggest checking the following services first.

Check service

----------------------

1. Click Start, type Services.msc in Start Search bar, and then press Enter.

2. In the right pane, double-click Microsoft Network Inspection.

3. In the Startup type list, click Automatic, click Apply, click Start, and then click OK.

4. Also check the following services.

Function Discovery Resource Publication

Desktop Window Manager Session Manager

Network Connections

Network List Service

Network Location Awareness

Network Store Interface Service

Server

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper

If you find any service cannot be started with the error, please let me know the service name and error exactly.

In addition, since the issue is related to Server. I also suggest confirming the issue with Server side.

Win Server Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, April 29, 2011 9:43 AM
    Monday, April 25, 2011 8:52 AM
  • I am having the same issue but with a stand alone pc using Windows XP.  I cannot apply the same "Network Inspection" information to my case.  Any advice?

Chris

Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:29 PM

• I also have the same problem with a standalone Dell Studio computer running Windows 7 (64 bits).  The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service is on Automatic, however it won’t start.  I know this because I am unable to use Windows Fax and Scan.  HP Scan Diagnostic Utility 4.2 reports the following problem for my new HP Deskjet 2050 J510 AIO (USB) printer.  “The Windows Imaging
    service is not running. Save you work, close all the applications, and then click Restart Computer. Run the HP Scan Diagnostic Utility again.  If the issue persists, you will not be able to scan using applications that use this service, such as Microsoft Paint.  HP scanning software applications might still work.”

When I try to start the WIA service manually I get the error message:  “Windows could not start the Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) service on this local computer.  Error 1068.  The Dependency service or group failed to start.”

Anybody knows how to get this service started?  Thank you.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Did you ever get a fix for this problem?
    Friday, March 02, 2012 3:09 PM
  • hold windows key & "r" to bring up the run prompt and type services.msc.  find "shell hardware detection" and it should be set to "automatic".  that worked for me.
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:42 PM
  • so i did all this and i still qet the error icant start my windows firewall help
    Monday, June 04, 2012 8:11 PM
  • hi NIki,

After opening 'Services.msc'

I have to start 'Windows Firewall' services but is not starting.

It Shows :-->  Windows could not start the Windows Firewall service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start. 

While opening windows Firewall with Advance Security on Local Computer
    it shows: MMC could not create the snap-in.

The Snap-in might not have been installed 

Name: Windows Firewall with Advance Security

CLSID: FX: {b05566ac-fe9c-4368-be02-7a4cbb7cbe11}

Anybody plz help me out.

Regards

mendix009

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:13 AM
  • i cannot start service server .. because of error 1068 :the dependancy service or group failed to start 
    Monday, November 18, 2013 1:54 PM
  • greetings sir .. i have a problem with service server . error 1068 :the dependancy service or group failed to start.. please help me sir .. thanks and godbless
    Monday, November 18, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Open "services.msc" and check which services the vCenter Server Service depends on and whether these services are started. If not, check the Windows Event logs to see if there are service start errors.
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thank you sir, this actually helped me, and it might help others that was having issues with  getting firewall to work with error 1068 :the dependancy service or group failed to start.

Once in services.msc from the run window > find windows firewall > right click and go to properties > go to Dependancies tab... look at the field that says "This service depends on the following  system components" > compare all those in that field to make sure they are Started and Automatic.

This worked for me

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Finally. Someone with the right answer.

Like the error says, the dependant services are not running.

Find the service you can't start in services.msc, right click and open properties. Go to dependency and make sure all those are started. 99% of the time one of those services hasn't started.

Friday, March 07, 2014 5:17 AM
  • I had the same problem with my windows vista computer and it would also not let me connect to the internet.  I just had to manually setup the ip info to get internet and the other issues are still there and I can't get them fixed at all.  Happened after a windows update a while ago

Monday, April 07, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Enable the Net.TCP Port Sharing Service using MMC

1. From the Start menu, open the Services Management Console either by opening a Command Prompt window and typing services.msc or by opening Run and typing services.msc into the Open box.

2. In the Name column of the list of services, right-click the Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service, and select Properties from the menu.

3. To enable the manual start-up of the service, in the Properties window select the General tab, and in the Startup type box select Manual, and then click Apply.

4. To start the service,  in the Service status area, click the Start button. The service status should now display "Started".

5. To return to the list of services, click the OK, and exit the MMC Console.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:51 PM