none
Windows 7 starts in Error Recovery /root error 0x45d

Question

• First thank you for your time,

I recently "stumbled" upon these forums after posting on microsoft community.

My orig. post    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-starts-in-error-recovery/95b2cb5f-474e-43b4-bb2c-3c54046d427f

Working with M.S.I. A6200 # MS-1681. Intel P6200. Win 7. PREM

started computer went right to error recovery . Chose repair.

Repair result: Root cause found unspecified changes to system config. error code 0x45d. All other test were oxo. After test results finished & computer shutdown.  I would like to know the proper approach in which to deal with this particular code.

So far research has given little to the specs on this exact model, using product # and model # on MSI website

Last boot 03/17/13

repair attempt 1  * not once did i hear a fan

recently found out owner did not password protect this computer which leads me to think i need to scan for viruses.?  Also that this computer has already been to recovery mode before.

Im asking how, or if possible, to scan & remove malaware,virus,pathogen,or whatever at this point. Repair and fix the best i (we) can.

no os cds      Thanks for any time & effort. I accept any response and still learning as I go

My orig post.   http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-starts-in-error-recovery/95b2cb5f-474e-43b4-bb2c-3c54046d427f

* havent verify acct yet no hyper link sorry                                                           

Friday, March 29, 2013 9:31 AM

All replies

• 0x45d is a device I/O error.

Either you have a bad driver or your hard drive is on it's way to the scrapyard. I would recommend finding out your hard drive manufacturer then downloading and burning their diagnostic ISO. Or, some branded computers have a diagnostic utility. What brand of PC is it? Or is it custom?     

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, March 29, 2013 10:39 AM
  •    Thank for your help. Sorry about delay in response,

What brand of PC is it? Or is it custom?     Working with M.S.I. A6200 # MS-1681. Intel P6200. Win 7. PREM

recently checked charger and its a dell  output 19v 3.16a -   the laptop [MSI] has a dc rating of 19v 3.42a +

checking on that soon .   should i not check for virus first or have we eliminated that?

Should i try that ISO first, or a WIN 7 repair boot disc ,which i will have to buy & burn i guess

I dont mean to intrude with questions, just looking for any answers someone might know.

Again thank you for your time & efforts.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 3:06 PM
  • Error: 0x45d translates to "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error".

This is very likely a hardware issue and you need diagnostics performed on your system hardware.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Saturday, March 30, 2013 7:22 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you run chkdsk /f to check the disk and see if it works then.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 01, 2013 9:08 AM