none
Add Local Printer- Locks up stops responding-- Help

Question

• I am trying to install a Network printer actually, but I was reading and found there is a work around apparently....by installing it as a Local printer, however I am unable to select "add local printer" as it locks up and becomes unresponsive after I click on "Add Local printer" in the add printer wizard, so I have to close the wizard.... which explorer seems to lock up and does a pretty solid job in recovering surprisingly enough.
    when I add a network printer this shows me choices of printers but when I try to add a network printer it becomes unresponsive after I select the printer I need to install.... 
    I also read about UAC being an issue and enabled this(and disabled for grins) but to no avail.

I am using Vista Home Premium on a brand new ACER ASPIRE X1300 and its driving me crazy.... I am about to flatten and load from scratch but I would like to see if there is a setting that maybe is preventing me from doing this....any ideas?? I am brand new at Vista....and  my sanity is at stake here..:-)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

could you please inform us about the model of this printer ?

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Monday, September 21, 2009 7:06 AM
  • actually it does not matter which printer, it will not even try to install as it locks up when you select add local printer from the add printer menu in vista.... it just sits there and you have to forcefully stop the program.
    When I select Add network printer it does not lock up except when I select the network printer, I do want to install a network printer and it does lock up but I dont understand why the system locks up when I try and install a local printer.... I am in the process of getting the recovery discs so I can flatten the HD and reload everything from scratch as I cant explain the problem.....

Any Ideas??

The printer is a Ricoh Aficio 2020 PCL on the network, being used by vista and XP pcs.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thursday, September 24, 2009 2:57 AM
  • Hi,

such as problems mostly occurs if you have installed 3 rd party print driver with a custom print monitor.Recovering the vista from scratch is in my opinion the best solution.Please do not forget to install the vista driver for this Ricoh Aficio 2020 PCL.

Good luck !

Regards,
    Cengiz Kuskaya

EDU
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 9:58 AM
  • ok to close this up... I finally just flattened it and reloaded, however I did not load any 3rd party drivers or custom print monitor which made me wonder all the more.... but the only thing was left to do was flatten and reload windows, which I did and i was able to install printers to include the Ricoh. However this was a new system that does not come with a disk...you have to order it from the manufacturer in this case it was ACER. anyway all is well again... that was a long way fro a drink of water....

Cheers
    Scott
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:39 PM