none
Windows 8 sees to lose an assigned drive letter for USB 3.0

Question

• I have a USB 3.0 external drive an want to connect it with 'X' as drive letter. I know how to assign a static drive letter to a USB Drive by The Computer Management and Disk Management but the drive loses the assigned letter of 'X' and gets the first unassigned letter randomly, after reboot or after reconnecting the drive. I can also tell that the same drive keeps its letter under Windows 7 and a USB 2.0 pendrive keeps its letter under Windows 8. In other Words, it seems to be Windows 8 with USB 3.0 that results in lost of assigned drive letter.

Does anyone have an idea of ​​what it may be due to, please?

Senki Alfonz

Thursday, February 28, 2013 6:23 PM

All replies

• Use this tool to control the USB drive letter:

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html

USBDLM is a Windows service that gives control over Windows' drive letter assignment for USB drives. Running as service makes it independent of the logged on user's privileges, so there is no need to give the users the privilege to change drive letters.
    It automatically solves conflicts between USB drives and network or subst drives of the currently logged on user.
    Furthermore you can define new default letters for USB drives and much more.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Thursday, February 28, 2013 9:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Recent Microsoft update seems to fix this issue, as I got a batch of updates at one shot, not sure if KB2823233 is the particular one to fix the USB 3.0 drive letter issue. I have a Sandisk Extreme 32GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive assigned manually to X drive as well everytime I plugged it to my laptop (otherwise the first unassigned letter would be assigned to it), and I no longer need to do so since recent Microsoft update. The USB 3.0 thumbdrive drive letter is now working perfectly in Windows 8.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:05 AM