none
Can I Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium OEM to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM or Retail

Question

• Ok , I am going to buy a new Hp Laptop with the pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium but I want the Windows 7 Ultimate . I have a Windows 7 Ultimate Genuine Copy with the CD-Key .

So can I upgrade my Windows 7 Home Premium OEM with my Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Disc ? and if yes then can I use my Retail CD key(for activation , will it work) after upgrading it from Windows 7 Home Premium OEM to Windows 7 Ultimate Retail????

I want to do this UPGRADE using the Upgrade option during the Installation of Windows 7or plz suggest your own methods to do so,

Thank you

THX!!!

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:05 PM

Answers

• All you need to do is perform a  Windows Anytime Upgrade.

1. Type Windows Anytime Upgrade in the Search programs and files box

2. Press the Enter key on your keyboard

3. When the Windows Anytime Upgrade window appears, type in your Windows 7 Ultimate product key

4. In about ten minutes, your computer will be running Windows 7 Ultimate

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:31 PM

All replies

• the recommend method is from another post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/f0bcc189-555f-48e2-98bd-d43cda83b963

Start CMD as Administrator and type:

slmgr -upk

slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (xxxx being the serial, the new one) - wait for a message telling you that the key is installed.

slmgr /ato

No need for reboot, or anything.

Go to http://microsoft.com/genuine after, and validate. And then you have a genuine computer, without reinstalling Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:12 PM
  • I will give this method a shot once I get ma hands on ma new Hp laptop and I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks

Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:27 PM
  • the recommend method is from another post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/f0bcc189-555f-48e2-98bd-d43cda83b963

slmgr -upk

slmgr -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx (xxxx being the serial, the new one) - wait for a message telling you that the key is installed.

slmgr /ato

Go to http://microsoft.com/genuine after, and validate. And then you have a genuine computer, without reinstalling Windows.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    I will give this method a shot once I get ma hands on ma new Hp laptop and I'll let you know if it works.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:27 PM
  • All you need to do is perform a  Windows Anytime Upgrade.

3. When the Windows Anytime Upgrade window appears, type in your Windows 7 Ultimate product key

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:31 PM

slmgr -upk

slmgr /ato

I will give this method a shot once I get ma hands on ma new Hp laptop and I'll let you know if it works.

I can tell you right now the method proposed by "Rick Dee" will not work.  That method is only designed to work when changing a product key.  It will not work if you wish to upgrade from one version of Windows 7 to another.  You will need to perform a "Windows Anytime Upgrade" as I mentioned earlier.
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 9:36 PM
  • All you need to do is perform a  Windows Anytime Upgrade .

Carey Frisch

Ok I know about Windows anytime upgrade..but since my Hp laptop will be running an OEM version of Widnows 7 Home Premium  , so will  Windows Anytime Upgrade accept a Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Key(Since I want to upgrade it to Windows 7 ultimate) , I have never used Windows Anytime Upgrade , hence I dont know what options I'll get once i use it.) ???  I dont want to make a clean Install because I  don't want to loose the Hp programs etc etc ...
    Monday, August 16, 2010 6:25 AM
  • All you need to do is perform a  Windows Anytime Upgrade .

Carey Frisch

OK, I know how to use the Windows Anytime Upgrade ..now I just need to get confirmed whether my Laptop running Windows 7 home Premium OEM will accept a Windows 7 Ultimate Retail Key (Using Windows Anytime Upgrade).

Guys if you know anything about this then please give some feedback.

THX!!

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:43 AM
  •  

A "step-by-step" of going through an upgrade from a lower edition of Windows 7 to a higher edition of Windows 7:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/pages/the-windows-anytime-upgrade-experience-for-windows-7.aspx

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Monday, August 16, 2010 8:26 AM
  •  Thanks Mr Frisch. I did not know upgrading was so easy. I want a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD because unfortunately, my HP DV6 notebook did not come with a Home Premiun DVD. Isn't it always better to have a original DVD of Windows as the backup of last resort? My HP Pavillion DV6 is excellent, but my major complaint is that they ship their Pavillion laptops, without original DVD's of Windows.
    Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:22 AM