none
LMS service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver...?

Question

• I get this warning in the Application event logs on my new laptop. Does anyone know what this service is, what the warning means, and how to get rid of it?

Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Both Local Manageability Service (LMS) service and Host Embedded Controller Interface (HECI ) driver are from Intel. Now HECI driver is called Management Execution Engine (MEI) driver. For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/01/24/let-us-talk-about-heci-and-lms/

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Intel chipset drivers and Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you contact Intel Support for further assistance.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 23, 2010 3:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Both Local Manageability Service (LMS) service and Host Embedded Controller Interface (HECI ) driver are from Intel. Now HECI driver is called Management Execution Engine (MEI) driver. For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/01/24/let-us-talk-about-heci-and-lms/

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Intel chipset drivers and Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you contact Intel Support for further assistance.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 23, 2010 3:00 AM
  • I have the same exact problem on a brand new Gateway NV5924u.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and no luck.  I contacted Gateway technical support and the rep told me to do a recovery.  I don't believe that will do anything since this has been happening since day one.  PheonixGTR were you able to find a solution?  I am guessing there is a bug with the drivers provided by Gateway.  Are there more up-to-date drivers that I can use or download directly from Intel?  Hope someone figures this one out!

mhajii210

Friday, May 28, 2010 6:48 PM
  • I have the same problem with a new ASUS n61jv. Apparently it has been generating these on every reboot--just now looked at the log. Would be interested in knowing whether the Intel drivers are machine specific. I haven't got a lot of time to research it just now.

jixix

Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:21 PM
  • I also get this warning on my LENOVO laptop.

I think it's a bug caused by INTEL.   ~#~

Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:37 AM
  • I also get the same problem on my brand new DELL Inspiron 15R.  Every other day there seems to be one warning entry in the log at different times.

I have been in touch with DELL, & they have advised to uninstall & re-install the Intel Management Components & re-install from the DELL drivers downloads latest.  I did this & I see the version is still 6.0.0.1179., and immediately after Install, I had the same error message in the event log.

I saw elsewhere on these forums, that there was a suggestion to download latest Intel Management drives from HP to fix problem, but I'm reluctant to download drivers from a HP site for a DELL laptop!

It seems this problem is being reported my multiple users on different manufacturers laptops.

Since it's been on my new laptop since I first powered it up, I'm hoping DELL will chase down Intel to fix (assuming it's an Intel problem).

Doesn't seem to be doing any harm, but I don't like seeing yellow warning triangles in my event logs.  

Monday, August 16, 2010 2:52 AM
  • Same problem on an acer laptop. It has to be a buggy Intel driver.
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Same problem on a Dell Studio 1558 running Windows 7 x64.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:52 PM
  • "Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall the latest version of Intel chipset drivers and Intel Matrix Storage Manager"

How do I do this?

I'm replying to this specific post as I have a Windows 7 VAIO x64 Intel i3 and have previously followed the HP uninstall-reinstall instructions. I had serious freeze-up problems before which are now much much better then before. Instead I have new, less annoying, DNS issues (internet is still connected but can't resolve URL's - see other posts about that... microsoft requesting logs be posted for analysis etc)

Also I'm now revisiting my VS2010 .NET WCF/Entity Framework projects which used to work but which now crash when objects are being returned from 'remote procedure calls'. I guess due to these DNS issues? (I'm not really a techy)

However the freeze-ups were sooooo bad I'm not happy about reverting to a Restore Point.

Oh and the original "LMS service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver" problem still persists.

Friday, February 11, 2011 12:15 AM
  • I experienced and found a workaround to same/similar problem.  In my case, there was a newer version of the LMS.exe installed on the original (Dell) OS (Windows7) install, than was available via the Intel download. 

P.S. I tried to paste screenshots here but, unable, so pls excuse.

Tom

Problem

The screenshot below-left is from the LMS.exe installed on Dell OEM install of Windows7 (LMS.exe has a newer version = 6.1.1046).

The screenshot below-right is from the LMS.exe download from the Intel website for install on Windows7 as of 2/24/2011.

(Note; the Intel downloaded LMS.exe has an older version = 6.0.0.1184).

Guess which generates the error - LMS service cannot connect to MEI driver?

Fix/Workaround

1. On the problem machine, stop the LMS Service (Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service).

2. Move/backup the LMS.exe to another location (I created a subdirectory called "old" and moved it there for safekeeping).

3. Copy the new/working LMS.exe (version = 6.1.1046) to the location where the service expects to find it (On my machine = E:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS).

4. Restart the LMS service and verify no errors on restart (see App event log).

• Proposed as answer by Patrick0172 Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:35 PM
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Same problem with my brand new acer laptop,and i need to complete an assignment to be graded on monday or i have wasted my time.
    Saturday, July 09, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Thanks a lot! I've copied lms.exe (newer fileversion) from a hp laptop (also win7 x64) to the sony vaio which had problems with the lms service and now it works. 

I've uploaded my lms.exe (version 7.1.2.1041) to http://ul.to/lngst7v9 so you can try this file. No warranty!

• Edited by Patrick0172 Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:41 PM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:37 PM
  • How did you guys download LMS.exe from Intel? I am having the same issue with HP Windows 7 32-bit, but I can't seem to find a way to download the lms.exe from the vendor...any links?
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 8:09 PM
  • Hi,

had an annoying Donk noise coming out of sleep mode on an Inspiron 17R I recently picked up.  Updated many of the drivers but still had the Donk!  Found LMS service cannot connect to Intel(R) MEI driver in the event log & took a chance that might be the problem.  Uninstalled/reinstalled the chipset and Matrix Storage Manager drivers as you suggested - so far so good.  No more Donk noise or LMS msgs in the log.  Oh, also uninstalled/reinstalled the Management Engine Interface Driver.

thanks

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 3:25 AM
  • I had the same issue on my G73jw laptop while "c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe" was vers 6.0.0.1184.

I've just updated to 6.1.0.1042 MEI driver from intel's site (lastest official for now) and error is gone.

Interesting thing is - LMS.exe version is 6.1.0.1044.

• Edited by i3v Monday, October 29, 2012 8:29 PM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 8:28 PM