none
Windows 7 - XP Mode Joining a domain

Question

• I have installed XP Mode on my Windows 7 laptop and am currently in the process of doing all of the XP updates. Apart from the fact that the IP address for the XP Mode appears to be 192.168.131.66, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.131.254 (which is not in the same subnet for the laptop, all appears to be well.

I do however wish to join this XP Mode to my SBS2008 domain running on 192.168.1.2. DG is on 1.1, Laptop is on 1.3. However when I try to join the XP Mode to the domain it just errors everytime saying the domain is not available when obvioulsy it clearly is.

Any pointers would be gratefully received.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:09 PM

Answers

• You need to change the NIC settings in the VM to connect to your physical NIC card instead of NAT, which is the default.  Just go into the settings for the VM, networking tab.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:13 PM

All replies

• You need to change the NIC settings in the VM to connect to your physical NIC card instead of NAT, which is the default.  Just go into the settings for the VM, networking tab.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Thank you Bob. Appreciate the answer you have provided me, seems to work fine.

Once again, Thanks

Toni Chaffin aka Talisa
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:49 PM
  • One more question for you Bob. Now that I have joined it to the domain it is still auto logging me into the session rather than me having to log on with the username and password I wish. It is auto logging on with XPMUser. How can I get it so that I have to login with a username and password?
    Toni Chaffin aka Talisa
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Cancel that comment. I have deleted the Saved Login info in the 'Settings' section and now it prompts me for a CAD + Logon

Thanks Anyway

Toni Chaffin aka Talisa
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:56 PM
  • You're welcome, glad I could help!

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:58 PM
  • Go into the settings of the VM, Logon Credentials on the left, then "Delete saved credentials" button on the left.  Then when you start the VM again it will prompt for the credentials and you select other user and input your domain login credentials.

Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:58 PM