How To Go Safe Mode in Windows 8

Question

• Dear Microsoft,

I want to try to log in to safe mode but it can't.

Please Help me to enter safe mode.

Thank you

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 6:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Someone apparently decided that the F8 key that has been used for years was no longer good enough. So with Windows 8, if you want to enter safe mode you will have to press SHIFT + F8.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 7:00 AM
  • Thank you. I will Try.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hi,

You can also refer to this article.

Windows 8 How To: 20. How to Start Windows 8 in Safe Mode
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/08/win8-howto-20-how-to-start-windows-8-in-safe-mode.aspx

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Trying to restart my PC into safe mode. I'm running Windows 8 RTM Enterprise. I read that SafeMode is not even accessible by default on Win 8. I restarted my PC and held Shift + F8 down together at start up and it just went straight to the log in page (where I have to enter my password).

I'm not sure if I'll be even able to access Safe Mode. In which case I'll have to remove the current primary drive, install the OS onto a new drive, reinstall Symantec System Recovery 2013 and restore the old drive which will be in one of my free slots from the back up that is on another drive.

I'm hoping there will be an easier than going through all of this. Let me know. I'll be doing all of this over the coming weekend if not.

Eric

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:10 AM