Windows AIK: How do I make a 32-bit (x86) WinPE image which can boot on a UEFI-boot only computer?

Question

• I need to run 32-bit partitioning and imaging tools from a USB stick. The computer (a Samsung Slate) will only boot using UEFI. I can create a WinPE 64-bit image that boots fine but I cannot run my tools on this (WoW64 sub-system is not included in WinPE). The only solution I can think of is to create a 32-bit WinPE that can run my tools. The problem is that I cannot seem to create a UEFI compatible 32-bit WinPE image using the Windows AIK (V3.0). Is there any fundamental reason why the AIK doesnt support UEFI boot to 32-bit WinPE?

I am currently downloading the new AIK in case it has solution...

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:49 AM

Answers

• OK I uninstalled the WAIK(3.0) and installed the the new AIK. I used this to create a bootable USB stick from the x86 configuration with no customisations. Unfortunately the Samsung Slate would not boot from this. I tried again using the amd64 configuration and the Slate will boot from that.

Looking at the AIK documents it states:

For example, an x64-based UEFI computer can boot only by using Windows PE x64-based boot files. An x86-based computer can boot only by using Windows PE x86-based boot files. This differs from BIOS. In BIOS, an x64-based computer can boot by using x86-based boot files.

So, I guess that booting this PC using 32-bit WinPE is impossible via UEFI, and there are no options for a BIOS boot.

FYI I was trying to run Acronis Disk Director and/or True Image (both 32-bit native applications), we use these tools for installing test environments in order to verify & validate Medical software.

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hello Ashley,

With Windows PE 3.0 you must boot the X64 version if the machine is UEFI only.  Windows PE 4.0 though should work with both architectures so let us know if after downloading the ADK for Windows 8 it still doesn't work.  Just curious what tools are you running from Windows PE?

Scott

Scott McArthur

Thursday, March 08, 2012 6:02 PM
  • One additional update.  Booting X86 WINPE 4.0 requires that the UEFI be at least 2.3.1.  So that depends on the hardware.  Do you know what the version of UEFI is on the machine?

Scott McArthur

Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:50 PM
  • The machine is the Samsung Slate Tablet M/S provided at the BUILD conference last summer. Samsung have not provided any BIOS updates that I can find so it will all be the original versions.

I will try with the new AIK - I'll post back the results. Thanks.

Friday, March 09, 2012 9:00 AM
  • OK I uninstalled the WAIK(3.0) and installed the the new AIK. I used this to create a bootable USB stick from the x86 configuration with no customisations. Unfortunately the Samsung Slate would not boot from this. I tried again using the amd64 configuration and the Slate will boot from that.

Looking at the AIK documents it states:

For example, an x64-based UEFI computer can boot only by using Windows PE x64-based boot files. An x86-based computer can boot only by using Windows PE x86-based boot files. This differs from BIOS. In BIOS, an x64-based computer can boot by using x86-based boot files.

So, I guess that booting this PC using 32-bit WinPE is impossible via UEFI, and there are no options for a BIOS boot.

FYI I was trying to run Acronis Disk Director and/or True Image (both 32-bit native applications), we use these tools for installing test environments in order to verify & validate Medical software.

Friday, March 09, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi AshleyWright,

I think we have a separate forum for guys provided with Samsung Slate Tablet at the Build Conference:

The Samsung Windows Developer Preview PC General

Irfan

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:26 PM
  • Yes there is a separate forum which I monitor but this question is not directly related to that PC - it concerns any 64-bit UEFI boot only PC.

Like many of us I guess I have always had a "2'nd job" repairing & fixing PC's at work and for friends etc, and I like to have a useful suite of programs available on bootable media to help in this.

Trying to get this to work I have found out a lot of useful information about UEFI, AFD, WinPE etc so not all wasted...

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:33 PM
  • Hi AshleyWright,

appreciate your point. The link was not to dissuade you from getting info on this forum, just to let you know, in case you didn't,  that you may also seek your answers on another link. In fact, you can also find many knowledgeable guys attending to your questions on: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8

Irfan

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:50 PM