none
display setting resetting to old settings on reboot

Question

• I have been working with two computers running windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, one laptop and one desktop.  The video card drivers are up to date.  My issue is whevener the computers are rebooted, they do not revert to the most recent display settings for multiple monitor setups. 

The desktop I set a second monitor to portrait a few months ago but I now use it in landscape, now I always have to go to screen resolution and set it to landscape after a reboot.  Also when I do this, it goes places the monitor far to the top left of the main monitor where I also set it about a month ago, but have since lowered it's relative position.  So it's remembering something, and luckily gets the right resolution but I always have to adjust the screen setting and it gets very annoying.

The laptop has similar issues, it seems to remember a larger monitor I used to plug in and place to the right hand side, but now I have a little monitor to the left at a different resolution and I have to change this everytime I reboot.

I have tried adjusting these settings through the video card software as well but have not had any luck.  Is there a way to set the default screen resolution setup in Windows 7?  Why are my old settings coming up when I reboot and how do I get my new settings to overwrite this?

Friday, July 22, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Stegenmangreg,

As pkn2011 said, try to log-off and log-on to check if the display settings are reverted.

Test this issue in Safe Mode, does it happen here?

Also try a Clean Boot in case of any third-party services conflict.

When use dual monitor, go to your device manager, expand Display Adapters, right-click choose uninstall your display card, manually download and install the latest driver from the official webiste. Then restart the computer.

If the above doesn't work, try to create a new user account to check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Hi Stegemangreg, you said..

My issue is whevener the computers are rebooted, they do not revert to the most recent display settings for multiple monitor setups.

If you log-off and log back onto windows, is your display locked as expected then?  When I first added a 2nd monitor there were some issues with keeping it all as I wanted it. Go back into the monitor settings again till it complies. - Try changing the resolution etc. Saving it a couple of times after minor tweaks..

To Refresh you need to hit the F5-Refresh. Else it'll wait until the refresh-delay (30sec?) refreshes the screen/page automatically. Try copying/creating a folder onto your desktop and hitting F5 if there's a delay, there doesn't seem to be any delay on mine though? (win7 64bit) I'm just reading what others have said about it..

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:06 AM

All replies

• I've had a few other problems lately, thought I'd throw them out there just in case anything is related.

New folders/files refresh very slowly in windows 7 now it seems.  Hardly ever seem to come up automatically if I am browsing a directory and add a file or new folder, I need to manually refresh.  At least when I do, the "new folder" name prompt is still waiting for an overwrite.

The laptop I mentioned no longer connects to a Drobo or another server on the workgroup at work.  We have a custom workgroup at work but nothing has changed in the way it is set up.  I cannot find a way to reset my connection, just renaming my workgroup.  I initially logged in to this workgroup but it no longer asks for a password when I try to reset the connection, is there a proper way to do this?  I see the drobo device but when I try to access it, it says it may not exist or the name may be mistyped.

Friday, July 22, 2011 8:01 PM
  • Hi Stegemangreg, you said..

My issue is whevener the computers are rebooted, they do not revert to the most recent display settings for multiple monitor setups.

If you log-off and log back onto windows, is your display locked as expected then?  When I first added a 2nd monitor there were some issues with keeping it all as I wanted it. Go back into the monitor settings again till it complies. - Try changing the resolution etc. Saving it a couple of times after minor tweaks..

To Refresh you need to hit the F5-Refresh. Else it'll wait until the refresh-delay (30sec?) refreshes the screen/page automatically. Try copying/creating a folder onto your desktop and hitting F5 if there's a delay, there doesn't seem to be any delay on mine though? (win7 64bit) I'm just reading what others have said about it..

Regards, pkn2011

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hi Stegenmangreg,

As pkn2011 said, try to log-off and log-on to check if the display settings are reverted.

Test this issue in Safe Mode, does it happen here?

Also try a Clean Boot in case of any third-party services conflict.

When use dual monitor, go to your device manager, expand Display Adapters, right-click choose uninstall your display card, manually download and install the latest driver from the official webiste. Then restart the computer.

If the above doesn't work, try to create a new user account to check if it works.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 25, 2011 5:53 AM
  • How's going?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:06 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resovled. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Regards,

Miya

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:41 AM
  • I have been plagued with exactly the same problem. My login screen comes up, and then a few seconds later my display reverts to portrait orientation no matter how many times I change the option in the Screen Resolution control panel. The next time I reboot it reverts to portrait a few seconds after the login screen appears. 

By using msconfig and turning off startup services I've been able to identify that it is the "Windows Live Mesh Remote connections service". I was able to confirm, by disallowing the "Remote connections to this computer" option in the remote tab of the Windows Live Mesh tool. Now my display options perform as they should.

Please forward this feedback onto the Windows Live Mesh team. 

thanks

andy

Thursday, February 02, 2012 12:01 AM