none
The system cannot find the file specified - driver installation

Question

• Restoring drivers in Windows Vista (maybe Windows 7 too) I run into this error a lot...

The system cannot find the file specified

Which was not so much of a problem in Windows XP, because it then listed the file name it was looking for and I could go find it wherever it may be. Windows Vista doesn't tell me anything other than The system cannot find the file specified, which is next to useless to me.

Is there a method to figure out what file Windows Vista is looking for when it fails a driver install?

Picture at...

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3893/thesystemcannotfindthef.jpg

Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:16 PM

Answers

• According to the picture you post, Vista is telling you the Texas Instrument PCIxx 12 FlashMedia Controller is looking for a driver file.

It also states:  "If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

This means you need to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download the driver for the FlashMedia Controller!

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

When it comes to a third party driver that Windows is unfamilar with, it will create a general error.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, June 27, 2011 10:28 AM

All replies

• According to the picture you post, Vista is telling you the Texas Instrument PCIxx 12 FlashMedia Controller is looking for a driver file.

It also states:  "If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

This means you need to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download the driver for the FlashMedia Controller!

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:34 PM
  • The picture I linked above is an example, not necessarily the driver file I am trying to find.
    What I am trying to figure out is how I can tell, for every time I try this, which particular driver file Vista is trying to find next. I know how to go surfing company websites, for better or for worse, for entire driver's and hope that I found the correct one. I could do that in Windows XP too.

The following is an example of what an incomplete driver looks like in Windows XP. Note how it actually says which file name it needs next? (Circled in red)
    http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7176/typethepathwherethefile.jpg

And then back to the example from Windows Vista - Notice that it makes no mention to which file it is missing?
    http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3893/thesystemcannotfindthef.jpg

So, for Vista, how can I figure out what particular missing file(s) it is looking for?
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

When it comes to a third party driver that Windows is unfamilar with, it will create a general error.

Regards,

Monday, June 27, 2011 10:28 AM