none
Windows Photo Viewer slideshow turns secondary monitor black

Question

• When you start a slideshow with Windows Photo Viewer, it fades the monitor to black and then starts the slideshow.

The problem is that on dual monitor setups it blacks out both screens, and exhibits buggy behavior if you try to use the other one. It will allow you to see the other monitor's windows if you can manage to bring them into focus (using alt+tab for example) but if the slideshow ever gets focus again, it returns to blacking out the second monitor.

Is there a way to turn off this "blacking out" behavior? This wasn't something the Photo Viewer in WinXP did - it left secondary monitors alone and just played the slideshow on it's own display.
    Friday, February 05, 2010 9:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Vecctor, this behavior can be by design. If you want to switch monitor, that is using slideshow on the secondery monitor, you can hold Win key+Shift and use left or right arrow to switch.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Vecctor, this behavior can be by design. If you want to switch monitor, that is using slideshow on the secondery monitor, you can hold Win key+Shift and use left or right arrow to switch.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Sean: That was not the question that VECCTOR asked, and I would not mark my own reply as an answer without confirming it is the right solution to the current question.

Let's assume we have 2 monitors A & B.

In Windows XP: Start photo slideshow on monitor A will play the slideshow on A, but leave B alone. So I could have a webpage open on B and continue reading my webpage while the slideshow is running.

In Windows 7: Photo slideshow on monitor A will play the slideshow on A, but also black out B's monitor. So I can no longer see what is on monitor B (just a black screen).

How can I change this back to XP behavior?

THAT is the question I hope people can answer to.

Friday, September 24, 2010 4:20 PM
  • I don't know about changing the initial behavior (black on both screens) but if you hit the Windows key after your slideshow starts the screen without the slideshow will no longer be black and you can work. Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Mr. Pedantic Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:53 PM
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:13 AM
  • Cool workaround to an annoying issue, Fatbhimasenas suggestion to use Win key works for Windows Photo Viewer - I can now use my first monitor while slideshow runs of the second!

Now I'm getting greedy, can you tell me how to accomplish the same thing if I use Windows Live Photo Gallery 2011 instead of the Photo Viewer as WLPG2011 has nice slideshow themes. If I try the same steps and press Win key WLPG2011 just exits slideshow :(

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I have 3 monitors - one being a tv on the wall.  What you suggest does work - It allows you to use the secondary (and tertiary) monitors while the slideshow is playing on the primary monitor.  I would like to have the slideshow play on the tv on the wall - which is either my secondary screen.  Is there a way to get it to play on a secondary (or tertiary) monitor and use the primary and tertiary (or secondary)?

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:56 PM

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thanks. It's true.
    Friday, December 06, 2013 3:38 AM