none
BCDEdit /enum showing "The boot configuration data store could not be opened"

Question

• Hi,

somehow my win7 system boot records seems corrupted hence it's showing OS not found. i have tried with bcdedit /enum & its showing "The boot configuration data store could not be found. The requested system device cannot be found". tried bootrec /fixmbr & bootrec /fixboot which is showing sucessfully. bootrec /rebuildbcd is able to detect C:\windows but showing "the requested system device cannot be found" while adding installation to boot list. i went into diskpart, selected EFI partition & able to see EFI contents (bootx64.efi/bootmgr.efi etc) there.

Kindly suggest how can i recreate BCDstore without reinstallation.

Regards,

Dhiraj

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:02 PM

Answers

• When you boot the machine make sure you are booting with a UEFI device i.e. if you boot with a Win7 CD, make sure that the CD is booting from UEFI and not legacy BIOS CD. You have to boot from the same type of partition that the hard drive was created with for BCDEdit to work.

So if you booted from WDS network, then you need to boot from a UEFI ethernet/pxe connection.

• Marked as answer by DhirajHaritwal Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:48 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:52 PM

All replies

• When you boot the machine make sure you are booting with a UEFI device i.e. if you boot with a Win7 CD, make sure that the CD is booting from UEFI and not legacy BIOS CD. You have to boot from the same type of partition that the hard drive was created with for BCDEdit to work.

So if you booted from WDS network, then you need to boot from a UEFI ethernet/pxe connection.

• Marked as answer by DhirajHaritwal Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:48 AM
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:52 PM
  • Thanks, Jeff.

Actually this laptop motherboard was changed & the Hardware engineer have set booting mode to legacy. now after change it back to UEFI, able to boot OS.

Dhiraj

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:00 AM
  • Jeff, Thanks for pointing the UEFI & Legacy booting.  I had the same issue and Lenovo (paper suport-tech.) could not point this out.  I could boot the computer via external CD by changing Legacy device in BIOS.  This would also change the SATA drive to Legacy.  Hence my Win8 could not repair the BCD (as it would not see it due to the legacy format) Microsoft did not say repair failed! (which would get me thinking something is not right) but it says repaired and reboots to with no progress.  I created a UEFI USB from my Win8 CD.   Ater changing the BIOS to UEFI and booting with UEFI USB, ran the MS Repair and bang-on! fixed.  Lenovo wanted me to do a System Restore! what a DUMB! idea...!  Following are great writes that help me in my quest for reality!

http://www.techspot.com/guides/630-windows-8-boot-fix/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2004518

Manny

Friday, January 31, 2014 2:31 PM