none
Windows 7 RC hangs during first reboot during clean install

Question

• Procedure:

1. I wiped my system for a clean install (specs of system below)
    2. Installed RC from a slow-burned DVD using ISO of RC 64-bit Ultimate I got from MSDN Subscription
    3. Upon first reboot after copying files from DVD, gets to a black screen with the version and "Evaluation Copy" in the bottom right + mouse pointer. I can move the mouse but there is nothing to click upon and no right-click menu. Keys do nothing. No activity at all at this point (I waited over an hour).
    4. Repeated the process from (1) above using a different DVD just in case there was something wrong with the first one, with the same result.
    5. Tried booting in safe mode after step (2); screen displayed message to the effect that it was Installing Windows (did not see this when not in safe mode) but then popped up a message stating that it could not install in Safe Mode so wasn't able to continue.
    Any suggestions?

System Spec:

HP Pavilion d4990y Desktop PC
    • Motherboard: Asus P5BW-LA (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00916901&cc=se&lc=en&dlc=sv&product=3461494)
    • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad processor Q6600 (2.4GHz)
    • RAM: 4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)
    • Video: 640MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
    • Disk: 320GB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
    • DVD: LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
    • Other: 15-in-1 memory card reader, 3 USB, 1394, audio
    System has been running Vista 32bit for over a year without any issue so I do not suspect any kind of hardware fault.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 2:28 PM

Answers

• Right, well, I discovered the problem; it was with my second monitor. Upon careful examination, I discovered that the "power" button on this monitor was set to the "off" position. I rectified this problem and was delighted to be immediately presented with a screen on this monitor indicating the computer was patiently waiting for me to tell me it's name and what I wanted to call it. Installation went smoothly from there...

*blush*

:-)
    • Marked as answer by Adam Hems Wednesday, May 06, 2009 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 12:41 PM

All replies

• I had a similar issue as to yours, except I had no mouse on the screen at the time but the same Evaluation Copy Build 7100 black screen. After some googling and reading someone suggested that it may be related to the monitor (we both have samsung brand monitors). Sounds odd but I tried changing mointors to my TV and installation completed once that happened I added my samsumg and its been smooth sailing since.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 10:25 PM
  • Hi,

I've just had exactly the same problem.

It flummoxed me for a short while, however on reboot if you keep pressing F8 until you get the startup screen, and select the option for "Low Resolution Video 640 x 480" then windows 7 will happily load, complete the setup and then download some updated drivers for the video card.

Strangely enough, I'm also running the Q6600 and the GEForce card. I've seen a few people with the same problem and it would appear to be the driver for the video.

Good Luck!
    Tuesday, May 05, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Right, well, I discovered the problem; it was with my second monitor. Upon careful examination, I discovered that the "power" button on this monitor was set to the "off" position. I rectified this problem and was delighted to be immediately presented with a screen on this monitor indicating the computer was patiently waiting for me to tell me it's name and what I wanted to call it. Installation went smoothly from there...

*blush*

:-)
    • Marked as answer by Adam Hems Wednesday, May 06, 2009 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 12:41 PM
  • I lol'ed when I realised my problem was no problem at all just windows confusing my tv with my main monitor xD

Thx so much for your help :)
    Wednesday, May 06, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

I've just had exactly the same problem.

It flummoxed me for a short while, however on reboot if you keep pressing F8 until you get the startup screen, and select the option for "Low Resolution Video 640 x 480" then windows 7 will happily load, complete the setup and then download some updated drivers for the video card.

Strangely enough, I'm also running the Q6600 and the GEForce card. I've seen a few people with the same problem and it would appear to be the driver for the video.

Good Luck!
    Thanks I was at my wits end installing the release version of W7-64 and it just hung after teh final reboot. Changing it to 640x480 worked and the installation finished. Then Windows downloaded 1 critical update. then it told me I had another 9 important updates and one optional. WELL. the optional one was a new driver for my Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS. That does not feel particularly optional to me. Anyway, your old post saved my bacon.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:37 PM