none
You do not have permission to access \\Server. Contact your network administrator to request access

Question

• Have a domain with Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 workstations. On one computer when clicking on the server under "network" we get the error "You do not have permission to access \\Server. Contact your network administrator to request access". This only happens to one user on the network. Other users access the server fine, even on the same workstation. We had no problems a few days ago. Any thoughts?

Help!!!!!!
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, I’m just wondering whether the user can access the sever on  another workstation.Please check the following:

1.        Ensure there none prohibit policy was effect to the account.

2.       Check the GPO , let this account and other account using the same group policy.

3.       Also check the folders permission for this user.

If the issue persists, please capture network package by following steps:

1) Download NetMon3.4 from the following website and install it on the computer

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f

2) Launch NetMon3.4.

3) In the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 window, click Create a new capture tab …

4) In the new tab, select all the Network Adapters in the Select Networks window.

5) Then, switch to Network Monitor, press F5 to start NetMon.

6) Try to repro the issue.

7) Go back to the NetMon window and press F7 to stop the NetMon.

8) Press Ctrl+S to save the Netmon file named test.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Regarding the issue, I’m just wondering whether the user can access the sever on  another workstation.Please check the following:

1.        Ensure there none prohibit policy was effect to the account.

2.       Check the GPO , let this account and other account using the same group policy.

3.       Also check the folders permission for this user.

If the issue persists, please capture network package by following steps:

1) Download NetMon3.4 from the following website and install it on the computer

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=983b941d-06cb-4658-b7f6-3088333d062f

2) Launch NetMon3.4.

3) In the Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 window, click Create a new capture tab …

4) In the new tab, select all the Network Adapters in the Select Networks window.

5) Then, switch to Network Monitor, press F5 to start NetMon.

6) Try to repro the issue.

7) Go back to the NetMon window and press F7 to stop the NetMon.

8) Press Ctrl+S to save the Netmon file named test.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. The problem seemed to go away on its own after about a week. Still not sure what the problem was.
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Can you please explain how one might check the GPO?  What policies would cause this condition?  do i check gpedit.msc on the DC?

I have a similar problem.  A domain attached, windows 7 workstation cannot access any file share on the domain controller.

I tested by inserting \\servername into the run dialog (no share name specified).  the result of which is i get the above cited error message.

other users who log on to the workstation in question are able to access the server.  ALL accounts tested with are domain accounts in the same OU.

any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:08 PM
  • I also tried to access the server by browsing to it in explorer and got the following error.

[Window Title]
    Open Folder

[Content]
    \\SERVERNAME is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The user name could not be found.

[OK]

As I mentioned before this IS a domain account on a domain attached workstation.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:27 PM