none
Unexisting BD Rom

Question

• Hallo,
    Please help me, I installed windows 7 RC 64 bit several months ago but from some time, I can't understand if after an update (I installed all the available updates), my laptop found 1 DVDROM and 1 BD ROM, but I have never installed a BD ROM. Now I have problems burning the dual layer DVD using Nero Burning Rom 8 the programs blocks itself about half minute before starting burnig and the DVD are unreadble. 
    The laptop is a HP Compaq 6715S. What do you think about it ?
    Thanks
    Paolo
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:29 PM

Answers

• There appears to be a firmware update for the Optiarc AD-7560A drive (if that is what is installed) from April 09. here. (US link, check your support site if different).

That may help.

Post back with your result.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:39 PM

All replies

• There appears to be a firmware update for the Optiarc AD-7560A drive (if that is what is installed) from April 09. here. (US link, check your support site if different).

That may help.

Post back with your result.
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 1:39 PM
  • In Windows Explorer, in the location "Computer", which displays the various hard drives and CD Drives in my system I have one entry that shows as "BD-ROM Drive (E)".
    In my case that entry is from a program that I installed that creates a virtual drive that I can use to mount a .iso file instead of burning the file to disk in order to read it.

A previous reply to you seemed to have been deleted, perhaps because a moderater did not see any relation to what I wrote and your problem.
    But as what I wrote was directly related to seeing "BD-ROM Drive (E)", I thought perhaps my posting might lead to a solution to your problem. If a moderator deletes this posting, please provide me with an answer to why?

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 2:09 AM
  • I see that lepao has multiple posts asking this same question, hence my confusion as to my lost post.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:34 AM
  • Hallo Proton2,

Thank you for your help but in my case it seems to be a bad working or missing driver. In fact if I try to disinstall the driver of the unexisting BD ROM it becomes an IDE Controller but always causing a bad working of my DVD ROM .However, which is the program that created a virtual drive in your PC ?
    Don't know the reason of deleting your reply seems to have relation with my problem.
    Thanks, Paolo.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:04 PM
  • Hallo Nano Warp,

Thank you for your help but my dvdrom isn't an Optiarc and I think that my problem should be a bad working or missing driver. In fact if I try to disinstall the driver of the unexisting BD ROM it becomes an IDE Controller but always causing a bad working of my DVD ROM .
    Thanks, Paolo.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:08 PM
  • lepao,
    Did you try uninstalling the phantom device from device manager and scan for hardware changes?

Start(orb)>type devmgmt.msc>select device manager from programs in results>expand dvd/cd devices>select bd rom>right click uninstall---then right click computer name and select scan for hardware changes.

While you are in device manager>right click the dvd/cd that you have>select properties>select details tab>select hardware id from drop-down box and post the result here.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:19 PM
  • lepao,
    Perhaps there is a simple solution. In the original post you stated that the problem did not appear until updates were applied. Let's remove the updates one at a time until the computer recognizes the optical drive correctly. Then we can identify which update caused the problem. You can can reinstall the others that you removed.

This assumes you are speaking about Microsoft updates. If you believe updates to another program were the cause, try those.

Start(orb)>Control panel>Programs>sub-heading in blue>view installed updates>Microsoft windows>select(highlight the most recent one)>select uninstall from the information bar. Close out and reboot. Do this until the optical drive returns to a stable condition uninstalling by latest date remaining.

If this corrects the problem, post which update caused the problem here. 
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Thanks Everybody, I re installed the OS and now it's all right. I think the problem should be a missing or bad working driver.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:44 PM
  • KB2590791. Now uninstalled.

I had a BD-rom drive AND my second hard disk (D: 127GB) had disappeared.

The BD-drive is still there, but at least the HD is back.

Seems the BD-drive is linked to an ISO program. I continue investigating.

Thanks anyway for the info.

Monday, August 29, 2011 7:22 PM