none
Unable to open control panel

General discussion

• Hi guys,

I'm using Vista Home Premium. I have problem where suddenly I can't open control panel. When I opened control panel, it just blink for a sec and after that nothing came out. Then I found that I couldn’t access system properties, personalized, updates, and microsoft games (like minesweeper). Even I lost my aero interface as well as windows flip 3d ( and maybe more)..

I came across lots of forum suggesting some solutions:

1) using sfc/scannow. This can be done by running cmd.exe as administrator. In my case, no problem was reported n it didn’t solve my problem at all.

2) checking Software Licensing and SL UI Notification from services.msc. This can be done by running cmd.exe as admin and type services.msc. Stop software licensing and sl ui notification and restart again. Most people said that this solve their problem temporarily, not permanent. And in my case, it still didn’t work.

3) some suggest to download update from windows. But I can’t install it as it stated the update doesn’t apply to ur system. Maybe because I’m using SP1 or maybe it is not meant for my system.

4) use system restore to restore back.

However, I found solution for this, permanently. Hope this help u guys out there.

What I did is, uninstall SP1 (KB936330). Because I can’t access control panel, so I need to boot in safe mode. You guys should how to boot in safe mode. Just restart the computer and press F8 before it load windows. Then from there, uninstall sp1, given by code KB936330 (from view install updates). Assume that control panel is accessible in safe mode. like in my case.

Then after finish, everything fix like a normal. You can install it back if u want to. For those who didn’t install sp1, u can try to install it and see whether it solve your problem. Let others know if it works. I know that I have no right to give any suggestion, but I just want to share this because no permanent solution given for this problem.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:10 AM