none
Windows 7 Setup Unable to locate SATA HDD

Question

• Hi to everyone,

I am unable to install windows 7 Ultimate due to 80 GB SATA Hard Disk Can not been Recongnized by the Windows 7 Setup.

I have Intel D946GZIS MotherBoard. I have windows XP Running fine on that Platform. Now I buy Windows 7 and Unble to Install it. Because HardDsik is Not Recongnized during Installation. I tried "Load Driver" Utilities to load that SATA Drivers. But didn't get sucess. It gives me the list of AHCI & RAID .inf Files lists but at last when i select it and Try to install it doesn't seems to any difference.

I already know about F6 utilities to Load SATA Driver in Windows XP Setup. But In Windows 7 "Load Driver" doesn't works for me.

Can you Please help me what should i do ? I don't understand what to set in BIOS ?

There is the Setting Like.

SATA ----> Enable/Disable.
    SATA/IDE Mode --> Legacy/Native
    S.M.A.R.T --> Enable/Disable

I appreciate your answers in advance.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel.

I already tired to with changing cables before posting thread. MY HDD is detect at BIOS level and even  during Windows XP setup.

As you said i already have proper BOOT MENU CONFIGURATION. with proper windows 7 CD & Proper DVD+RW.

HDD is not available after "I Agree with terms to install windows 7 x86".

I am trying to test my HDD using Seagate Tool
    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

as i have HDD of Segate : ST380815AS (Model No).

What should i do next ?

• Marked as answer by pateldeepp Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:21 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hey !!!! No problem at all.

Everything Work fine now. Windows 7 setup without any problem. No need for any SATA driver during installation.

Moreover after installation no need of any kind of driver. Network, audio, Monitor... everything build in to Windows 7.

So, Those people who face same problem has to do following steps.

1) Take the full backup on your External HDD.

2) Use Seatool (For Seagate HDD Users) or other tool provided by Manufacturer to check your HDD status, bad sectors, or any other failure problems. and try to fix it using same software.

3) If possible, go for FULL Erase which write '0' in every sector.

4) Go for Windows 7 Setup.

5) Everything works :) :) :)

Thanks & Regards,
    - Naman Patel
    • Marked as answer by pateldeepp Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:20 AM
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:20 AM

All replies

• Most sata doesn't require to set any setting or jumper though some require, as well as it doesn't require to hit F6 or install drivers unless one intend to create raid. In bios setting, just "ensure sata is enable" as for legacy/native mode, either one would also work. Note the following

"The Serial ATA controller can operate in both legacy and native

modes. In legacy mode, standard IDE I/O and IRQ resources are assigned (IRQ 14

and 15). In Native mode, standard PCI Conventional bus resource steering is used.

Native mode is the preferred mode for configurations using the Windows* XP and

Windows 2000 operating systems."

If you could give me the make and model of the sata drive, that would help
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:36 AM
  • HDD Details as below:-
    Manufacturer : Seagate
    Barracuda 7200 RPM
    80GB.

I don't understand why my HDD is not detected at all in Windows 7 Ultimate Setup even though WINDOWS XP SP2 Setup didn't require anything to install OS. - Please help me.

Right now my BIOS Configuration are as below :-

SATA --> Enable.
    SATA/IDE Mode --> Native
    S.M.A.R.T. --> Enable.

There is no Jumper at HDD right now.

Thanks to provide some basic knowledge about Native & Legacy Mode of SATA.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 4:49 PM
  • And more information,

My Motherboard is D946GZIS and BIOS is up to date provided by INTEL.

Is Intel® Matrix Storage Technology will Work for me ? and How can i install those files/Drivers  as of my HDD doesn't have any OS. (WinXP get Crash and Windows 7 Unable to Setup).

I will be share here updated information as i am getting more.
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 5:04 PM
  • Power off your comp and open up the case of your rig and try reseating the sata cable as well as the molex cable, ensure is not loosen. Just incase the non detectable sata drive is due to the above

And could you be more specify when you mention win 7 did not detect the sata hd? So have you install win 7 yet? I assume not? Btw did you set the first bootable device as cd/dvd rom drive, second bootable device as hd or sata hd, third as floppy drive etc in cmos setup in bios setting? Once is done, remember to save before exiting cmos setup in bios and ensure the win 7 cd is in the cd/dvd rom drive before restart

Note: You need to ensure the bootable device is set accordingly before you could install and boot from win 7 cd
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hi Daniel.

I already tired to with changing cables before posting thread. MY HDD is detect at BIOS level and even  during Windows XP setup.

As you said i already have proper BOOT MENU CONFIGURATION. with proper windows 7 CD & Proper DVD+RW.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

What should i do next ?

• Marked as answer by pateldeepp Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:21 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

I notice that Intel does not currently plan to develop and offer Windows 7 drivers for D946GZIS. For more information, please refer to the following link:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18246&ProdId=2482&lang=eng

Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

However, I still would like to suggest you reset the BIOS to default to check the result.

If it does not work, you may need to upgrade the hardware configuration for Windows 7.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, March 16, 2010 3:35 AM
  • Hi Daniel.

What should i do next ?

Seagate 80G with the above model is kinda common, i used to install a number of seagate 80G drive previously and have not encounter any issue. Yes try running seatool and see how it goes, if there error being prompt during the test, high chances the drive are bad. If it doesn't and if your drive is detected in other comp and not intel mobo, then most likely like what arthur mention, there might not be drivers support for win 7.

Reseting bios to default is a good suggestion, to do so you could try clearing cmos by removing cmos batt or load default setting in bios (ensure the comp is power off prior to reomove cmos batt if u intend to choose this option)

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:42 AM
  • Hey Daniel !!!

I run a SeaTool and the result is 19 errors(19 Bad Sector) and allow SeaTool to recover that. after that Test comes with result as "Passed".

and also i  run "Full Erase" to write a '0' in every Sector of HDD. Test is still running.

I will try to install Windows 7 after that and comes with the result within a few hours.

at least i found that the problem was with HDD.

Even If after this steps if Windws 7 Does not detect HDD during setup it is obvious that the Intel MB does not support my HDD.

I suppose , i should not go for RMA of HDD in Seagate Technologies LLC, whats your opinion ?

Daniel are you sure that Windows 7 will working for ST38081AS - Hard Drive if so i can buy new Motherboard.   ????

Daniel Waiting for your Reply.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:01 AM

Everything Work fine now. Windows 7 setup without any problem. No need for any SATA driver during installation.

Moreover after installation no need of any kind of driver. Network, audio, Monitor... everything build in to Windows 7.

2) Use Seatool (For Seagate HDD Users) or other tool provided by Manufacturer to check your HDD status, bad sectors, or any other failure problems. and try to fix it using same software.

Thanks & Regards,
    - Naman Patel

Thanks & Regards,
    - Naman Patel

Thanks & Regards,
    - Naman Patel
    • Marked as answer by pateldeepp Saturday, March 20, 2010 8:20 AM