none
No boot screen on DVI TV

General discussion

• I've got an HD6950, with the bottom DVI connected to my TV and the top DVI connected to my monitor via the VGA adapter (only the top DVI supports this adapter).

When I boot Win7, after POST my TV completely loses signal and I only see the boot screen on my monitor. Once it's booted, the signal is restored to the TV. This is in contrast to XP, where I see the boot screen on both displays.

If I disconnect the VGA adapter, so that only the TV is connected, I see a boot screen of sorts, but not the proper animated one, just a progress bar and some text, which seems wierd.

I use this PC as an HTPC and it's obviously rather confusing for users to see the TV lose signal completely for about 20 seconds whilst Win7 boots, so if there's a way to fix this I'd like to do so.

• Changed type Niki HanModerator Friday, May 27, 2011 3:11 AM professional level case
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 1:43 PM

All replies

• My guess (and it's only a guess) is that there is enough difference between the WinXP and Win7 drivers that the Win7 driver doesn't pick up the port as soon as the XP drivers did. Have you updated your drivers from the ATI site?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

That's for 64-bit Win7 and Vista. Since it's for both Vista and Win7, you may not get the results you want anyhow- from personal experience, the ATI dual-OS drivers are not always the greatest. But, it probably won't make it any worse than it is now.

SC Tom

Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:06 PM
  • Thanks but Powercolor (the card manufacturer) advised me that the problem is happening before the drivers are loaded, so it can't be a driver issue. I'm inclined to agree with them and think it's more an issue with whatever Microsoft driver is being used during the boot process.
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Thanks but Powercolor (the card manufacturer) advised me that the problem is happening before the drivers are loaded, so it can't be a driver issue. I'm inclined to agree with them and think it's more an issue with whatever Microsoft driver is being used during the boot process.

Microsoft does not load a driver during the boot cycle of the computer.  That is controlled entirely by the system BIOS and is a standard VGA configuration.  So, it is virtually impossible for it to be a Microsoft or Windows 7 problem since you are taking about a period of time BEFORE Windows starts!

Is your XP booting up on the same system and you can dual boot?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 4:56 PM
  • I'm talking about the period between POST and the Windows 7 login/welcome screen. The TV loses signal when the Win7 boot menu appears. It seems obvious that it must be the Win7 standard VGA driver that's in control at this point and during the Win7 boot process. It must also be a Win7 issue that causes it to show a completely different boot screen when it's only connected to my TV, compared to when it's booting on my monitor.

I can dual boot just fine, XP is booting fine and I see the boot screen on both displays.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Okay.  If you are talking about from the time Windows starts loading, which is after all your hard drives are recognized and listed, there would be a standard VGA driver that probably hasn't chnaged in over 10 years.

I have an ATI HD 5750 video card and I do not have a lapse in video on my HDTV when I use the HDMI cable to connect my computer.  But, keep in mind you have a very new card and it takes AMD/ATI six months to a year to get those cards working correctly.

When I first installed my HD 5750 on my Windows 7 Pro x64 system I would get random enlargement of the mouse cursor.  I called ATI Technical Support and got the same B.S. runaround you get from most "customer service" personnel.  ATI insisted the problem was with my motherboard and not their video card nor the ATI drivers.  That was in October 2009.  Lo and behold when they released the driver in either May or June of 2010, one of the problems "fixed" was "random enlargement of the mouse cursor" and I have not had any problem like that since then.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:36 PM
  • The standard VGA driver in question must surely be a Microsoft, not ATi, one though and Microsoft obviously have changed it in the last 10 years, or at least altered the Windows 7 one compared to the XP one, as the XP one works properly and the Win7 one doesn't.

Unless you have a VGA adapter connected to a port on your 5750 as well as the HDMI cable then your setup isn't really the same as mine, although the fact that I get what appears to be a fallback/failsafe boot screen when I've only got the DVI cable connected (which I presume you don't with your HDMI cable) suggests that the standard VGA driver has more than one problem with my card.

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:07 AM
  • I use a DVI cable to my monitor and an HDMI cable to my HDTV.

If you think the standard VGA is defective, then why are you only one currently having problems with it?  This is a forum open to people around the world, so if the VGA.SYS file were faulty then hundreds or thousands of people would be posting about it - but they are not!

Monday, May 16, 2011 11:22 AM
  • So I'm imagining it am I? I've come here looking for help and so far you haven't offered a sensible explanation for the problem. You've now told me that the VGA.SYS file is what's used during the boot process, so I can only assume there's something wrong with that (unlike the file XP uses when booting) that's causing the problem.

It's rather poor that the XP file works fine with my 6950 but the Win7 one doesn't.

Monday, May 16, 2011 11:45 AM
  • So I'm imagining it am I? I've come here looking for help and so far you haven't offered a sensible explanation for the problem. You've now told me that the VGA.SYS file is what's used during the boot process, so I can only assume there's something wrong with that (unlike the file XP uses when booting) that's causing the problem.

It's rather poor that the XP file works fine with my 6950 but the Win7 one doesn't.

I do not know for a fact that VGA.SYS is loaded at all if you have an ATI video driver installed. 

I just wonder why, if there is a major bug in one or more Microsoft system files, you are the only one reporting it?

Logically if there was problem with one of the system files, there would be an awful lot of people mentioning it.

But, you seem to think that just because your system has an anomaly it is Microsoft's fault!

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:13 PM
  • My system doesn't have an anomaly, Microsoft Windows 7 has an anomaly when running on it.

There's obviously a bug in a file, and Powercolor have told me that the ATI files aren't loaded at the point where the bug occurs, so it can only be a Microsoft file. You've suggested it's the VGA.SYS file and now say you're not sure about that, but you certainly haven't shown me any reason to believe that it is in fact an ATI file that's causing the problem.

One would equally think if there was a bug in one of ATI's files there'd be an awful lot of people mentioning it, so that's hardly an argument.

Anyway, you seem more interested in trying to tell me it's not a Microsoft problem than trying to help fix it, so I guess I'm wasting my time here.

Monday, May 16, 2011 7:04 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding the issue, I have tested on my monitors. Both two monitors will show the boot screen before the login screen. I suspect it depends on the graphic card and its driver.

Considering this issue is related to hardware, it is still recommended that you contact the hardware manufacture.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:38 AM
  • Hi Niki

Thanks for testing.

Do you have a 6950 like me? Did you test with a DVI monitor and a VGA monitor via a DVI-VGA adapter? I've tested with only the DVI in both the top and bottom port and with both only get the old-style boot screen on my TV.

Considering everything works normally with XP, I still can only think there must be a problem with some Win7 file or other. As I said, perhaps it needs updating to be properly compatible with the 6950, but unless you can tell me that ATI's files are used during the boot process and could be responsible for this problem, I can't see that ATI or the card manufacturer can do anything to fix it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:53 PM
  • It's not the display driver causing the problem.  You are dealing with the way Windows 7 startup is coded and the analysys it does of the connected hardware.  Windows XP didn't do this.  Comparing Windows XP to Windows 7 is about like comparing apples to oranges.  There are very significant differences to the Windows 7 kernel compared to what was in Windows XP.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

Indeed, Windows 7 has a lot of changes on system boot, mainly for boot performance, for example, using the boot prefetch environment to load file data into memory before it is first required. However, based on my research and experience, all of the changes should not impact the dual monitor behavior. The test Niki has done confirms dual monitors can show boot screen properly. I am using dual monitors at work and at home and both the environments work as expected.

I have ever seen this problem with some TV users and I suggest to start with the BIOS check. You can try to update BIOS or directly check with the PC vendor. Thanks.

Bowen

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Thanks for the information R.T.F.M. I didn't think it was the display driver as I'd been told it didn't load until later, but Rick Dee seemed to think it was. The only comparison I'm trying to make between XP and Win7 is that the former works as one would expect, whilst the latter doesn't. Unfortunately, whatever changes were made to the Win7 kernel (if that's the culprit) have negatively impacted the boot experience on my system.

Bowen, I'm quite sure that Win7 in most cases does work properly with dual monitors (including during boot), but nonetheless there's some bug that causes it not to work properly (during boot) with my system. To clarify, I've actually got two issues, 1) when booting with only my DVI TV connected, I got a fall-back boot screen with no animated logo and just a progress bar, 2) when booting with both my DVI TV and my VGA monitor connected, the TV receives no signal at all during the boot process.

As I've said, when booting XP it shows an identical boot screen on both displays at the same time, so something's changed in Win7 that has resulted in my boot experience being worse than with XP, particularly as I use the PC as an HTPC and thus normally boot with only the TV switched on, which now only shows the fall-back boot screen or has no signal at all, depending on whether the VGA monitor is connected or not. Which BIOS setting do you suggest would be causing this problem in Win7 only? I'm already running the latest BIOS.

Friday, May 20, 2011 12:33 PM
  • 1)  The reason you see the progress bar is because your TV is not detected as being capable of displaying Aero.  If it were detected as being capable of displaying Aero you would see the animated logo.

2) Windows 7 is detecting the display hardware and determining the display parameters.

If you go to the nVidia forums and the ATI forums you will see this is fairly common and it actually started with Vista because that's when Microsoft introduced WDDM.

Friday, May 20, 2011 12:59 PM
  • Thanks (again) for providing an explanation about the problems I'm experiencing.

1) My TV is capable of displaying Aero, therefore there's something wrong with Win7's detection process. Perhaps there should be some way to manually disable this detection, for users with TV's that are Aero-capable but which can't communicate this to Win7. What exactly does a TV need to be able to do to display Aero anyway? Surely the TV just displays what it's sent doesn't it?

2) Again there's obviously a problem with Win7's detection routines if it's deciding that it's not going to show the boot process on my TV, and there should be some way for the user to override this.

If this has been going on since Vista, I would have hoped that Microsoft would have come up with a fix for it by now.

Friday, May 20, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Hi,

From the technical documents about Win7 I have learned, no clue or change indicates this can be a bug of Win7. If you would like to continue pursuing an answer or a solution, I would like to suggest creating a problem incident to Microsoft, for further analysis, such as code reviewing, kernel debugging or local reproducing, etc.

Bowen

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 23, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Can you please advise how to create a problem incident to Microsoft? Although if this issue has been around since Vista as R.T.F.M. _ says, I'm not hopeful that it's going to get fixed just because I report it!
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

To create a problem incident, please go to this website, choose a product, and follow the wizard. Thanks.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/Default.aspx?target=assistance

Bowen

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:15 AM
  • I've found some information on this problem.

It seems that the Win7 Logo Boot screen will only display if the screen supports 1024x768. My TV supports 1280x720p and 1920x1080i (and obviously some SD resolutions) but apparently not 1024x768, which is why I get the Vista-style Boot screen.

That's annoying, but less so than the problem where Win7 only shows the boot screen on my monitor and a blank screen on my TV whilst booting when both displays are connected, as I tend to have the monitor turned off and thus just see a blank screen on my TV whilst booting. I haven't found any explanation or fix for this problem, so I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Monday, October 03, 2011 5:03 PM
  • For the record I'm backing you up on this doveman.  Ignore the information the others have provided you, it's useless.  I'm researching the steps to fix this issue right now, because I have successfully switched the startup monitors for Windows 7 before, but whenever I've had to do a fresh install on my computer, I get stuck in the same bind you're in.  So know you're not the only one and there IS a solution.  I'll post up again once I find it again :-)
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Still researching, but, I did remember from a prior setup, some BIOS menus have the ability to choose a default display so you may want to search if that's a possibility.  When I find more I'll post again :-)
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Thanks, I'll have a look at the BIOS. Even if that does help it still seems daft that XP would show the boot screen on both displays whilst Win7 only shows it on one, as sometimes I'll boot with only my monitor on and other times with only the TV on.
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 7:43 PM