•  
    I have a device which does not have drivers for it.  The hardware ids are

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930\SUBSYS_82771043&REV_02
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930\SUBSYS_82771043
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930\CC_0C0500
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2930\CC_0C05

and the physical device name is
    \Device\NTPNP_PCI0017

I have an Asus P5E motherboard so I tried installing the Intel_IMSM_v7501017.zip driver which I downloaded from Asus web site.  After getting over a couple hurdles with setting the setup to run as administrator and setting the compatability mode to XP SP2 the install script cancels out saying that my computer does not meet the minimum requirements.

Does anyone have a way to get a device driver installed for this device.

Thanks
    Monday, January 12, 2009 5:16 AM

Answers

• You may be able to run the setup.exe in compatibility mode.

However you can try this (it worked for me);

1. Download the .zipped chipset driver package for Vista from the Intel website.
    2. Extract the archive somewhere handy (e.g. a folder on your desktop).
    3. Open Device Manager and locate the SMBus device.
    4. Manually update the driver, when asked browse a location and select the unzipped archive created in (2).

EDIT: Location to Intel for X38 (but I believe contains all recent chipsets) .zip

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?url=/16026/a08/infinst_autol.zip&agr=Y&ProductID=2842&DwnldID=16026&lang=eng

Description: "OS:Windows Server* 2003, Windows Server* 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, Windows Server* 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Server* 2003 Standard x64 Edition, Windows Server* 2008, Windows Vista*, Windows Vista* 32, Windows Vista* 64, Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition"
    • Marked as answer by M_Lopez Monday, January 12, 2009 2:04 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:26 AM

All replies

• Are you running the x86 or x64 version of windows?

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:27 AM
  • I'm running Win7x64 and am running into the same issue. I also have an ASUS P5Qe MB. The SM Bus error is keeping anything on my 1394 bus from being recognized.

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:45 AM
  • Shameless quote from a post i put up a little while ago on one of the blogs.

I had a similar problem with my mobo, MSI P35 Neo got both driver cds for xp and Vista, both give me a 'This operating system is not supported error'.

So i went onto the MSI site and Downloaded the Vista chipset Drivers, then ran that in Vista compatability mode Drivers installed no more unknown hardware smbus.

I think it would be worth checking Gigabytes site and see if the have something similar

/quote

however obviously here its the asus website or have you tried drivers from there already?

Monday, January 12, 2009 5:57 AM
  • The driver file I mentioned in the earlier post is from the Asus web site, but unfortunately it does not give me the loose driver files and the installer cancels out in the middle due to an improperly written installer script.  I am running the 64 bit version of the Windows 7 Beta.  I went looking for a reference driver on the Intel web site but was unable to find one.

Thanks for the info.  I may try looking at alternate companies drivers if I dont find a suitable driver on the Intel site or disabling the device on my system BIOS if I am able to since  I am not currently using it for anything.

Monday, January 12, 2009 8:19 AM
  • You may be able to run the setup.exe in compatibility mode.

However you can try this (it worked for me);

1. Download the .zipped chipset driver package for Vista from the Intel website.
    2. Extract the archive somewhere handy (e.g. a folder on your desktop).
    3. Open Device Manager and locate the SMBus device.
    4. Manually update the driver, when asked browse a location and select the unzipped archive created in (2).

EDIT: Location to Intel for X38 (but I believe contains all recent chipsets) .zip

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?url=/16026/a08/infinst_autol.zip&agr=Y&ProductID=2842&DwnldID=16026&lang=eng

Description: "OS:Windows Server* 2003, Windows Server* 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition, Windows Server* 2003 Standard Edition, Windows Server* 2003 Standard x64 Edition, Windows Server* 2008, Windows Vista*, Windows Vista* 32, Windows Vista* 64, Windows* 2000, Windows* XP Home Edition, Windows* XP Media Center Edition, Windows* XP Professional, Windows* XP Professional x64 Edition"
    • Marked as answer by M_Lopez Monday, January 12, 2009 2:04 PM
    Monday, January 12, 2009 8:26 AM
  •  I tried running the Asus setup in compatability mode but that failed.  I was able to track down the Intel driver and find the appropriate loose file which pointed to the SM bus controller.  I won't be able to play with it until tonight but manually installing will be my only course of action.  I found the entry I was looking for in the inf files so I am pretty sure I will be OK.

Thanks for the tip in locating the driver at Intel's site.  I was looking for an individual SM Bus controller driver as opposed to the chipset which made for a frustrating search on Intel's web site.

Monday, January 12, 2009 2:04 PM
  • select the sm bus then right click it, select location then point it to where you extract the files to, it should pick it up and install from there
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:08 PM
  •  Finally got around to downloading the files and it worked like a charm, no more unknown devices.

Thanks once again

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:39 AM
  • The Download is not longer available...

If you find a new link, please post it!
    I think the problem with my Graphics driver could be solved by this one...
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:40 AM
  • StoffelHenni said:

The Download is not longer available...

If you find a new link, please post it!
    I think the problem with my Graphics driver could be solved by this one...

http://pctuner.org/download/drivers/chipset/
    http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/ - https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Aaron.Tiensivu
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:21 AM
    Answerer
  • thank you...
    worked already with the standart Intel driver mentioned above...

But still the problem with my Graphics driver persists...
    keeps restarting before showing the Login-Screen (nVidia Geforce 9600M GT)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:44 AM
  • As far as I am aware the SMBus won't be the cause of your graphics problem.

Have you tried the nVidia 181.20 driver package for Vista from the nVidia download page?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:37 AM
  • For Mobile GraphicCards the most actual driver is 179.28.
    Note that i have a 9600M GT, no 9600 GT!

Before I updated the SMBus driver, nVidia allowed me to install the driver, but since I have installed the SM-Bus-Driver, it says that it is not suited for this Windows-Version...

The driver form laptopvideo2go.com didn't work either... (but this was before installing the SMBus driver...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Beg your pardon - I missed the all important "M"!!!

If you try an install it will extract the drivers to an nVidia folder in your C:\ drive.  Usually these files are not deleted if an install fails.

Could you try opening Device Manager, right clicking on the graphics adaptor, select to update the driver and tell the wizard to browse the nVidia folder manually?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:54 AM
  • Already done, the driver still causes the on-boot-crash
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:49 PM
  • This is unrelated to the initial topic of the post.  You may want to create a new question in the hardware compatability forum in order to get more people to look at your issue with the 9600M GT.  Since this question has already been answered, chances are that questions posted after the topic are not being looked at very much.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:00 PM