none
Windows 8 Media Center Key

Question

• So I got my free key from Microsoft that I can use on Windows 8 to add Media Center to it. Now, the promotion expires in January next year and the email said the key needs to be activated by February next year. However, what if I use the key now, but I need to reinstall Windows say, at the end of next year. Do I get to use my key again, or would it not work?

I'm not talking about refreshing your PC, let's assume I reformat the entire hard drive.

Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:46 PM

Answers

• You can use the same product key as long as it is used on the same computer.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by mikestormxs Monday, December 03, 2012 11:46 AM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:49 PM
  • Type Features in the Search box and click on Settings.  Click on the Turn Windows features on or off icon.  Scroll down to Media Features, click on the "+" and place a check next to Windows Media Center and click OK.  This procedure should make it visible.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by mikestormxs Monday, December 03, 2012 11:45 AM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hello,

If your PC is running Windows 8 Pro and you'd like to get Windows 8 Media Center Pack so you can watch and record live TV with Windows Media Center, you can take advantage of the following special offer:

For a limited time, get Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free **

To receive a free product key and get Windows 8 Media Center Pack, provide a valid email address in the space provided. Once you receive your free product key through the email address you provided, follow the instructions for adding Windows 8 Media Center Pack that appear later on this page.

To get the Product Key Please Click Here

Add Windows 8 Pro Pack or Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    1. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings .

3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following:

• If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.

You will be prompted through the steps to buy a product key from there and it will be entered for you.

• If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.

4. Enter your product key and click Next.

5. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Windows

Once You Recieve the Product key:

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    4. Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    5. Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    6. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

If you were running Windows 8, your PC will restart automatically and Windows 8 Pro With Media Center will be on it.

If you were running Windows 8 Pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

The Windows Media Center Key is only to Unlock the add feature of the windows 8 pro but not install the windows 8 pro. The Orignial Windows 8 Pro Key and Add Feature Key Should be secured, So that it can use for the Future Use.

For Any Futhur Asstiance Reach to Microsoft Customer Support.

Regards, Ashish Kumar Singh

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:57 AM

All replies

• You can use the same product key as long as it is used on the same computer.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by mikestormxs Monday, December 03, 2012 11:46 AM
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:49 PM
  • So just to clarify, if I use my free key now, reformat Windows and reinstall everything from fresh on the same PC in, say, December 2015 my free key will still work? What happens if I happened to get a new hard drive or something?
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 10:50 PM
  • The key will still work on a new hard drive as long as it was  initially activated no later than January 31. 2013.

Carey Frisch

Sunday, December 02, 2012 11:11 PM
  • I activated it now, but I can't seem to find WMC in All Apps?
    Sunday, December 02, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Type Media in the Search box and the Windows Media Center green orb should appear on the left side of the Start screen under Apps.

Carey Frisch

Monday, December 03, 2012 12:35 AM
  • You can use the same product key as long as it is used on the same computer
    Monday, December 03, 2012 1:24 AM
  • I restarted my PC twice. Windows reports it's running "Windows 8 Pro with Media Center".

Searching for "Windows Media Center" or even just "Media" gives no results.

Monday, December 03, 2012 3:02 AM
  • Type Features in the Search box and click on Settings.  Click on the Turn Windows features on or off icon.  Scroll down to Media Features, click on the "+" and place a check next to Windows Media Center and click OK.  This procedure should make it visible.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by mikestormxs Monday, December 03, 2012 11:45 AM
    Monday, December 03, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Ah! Thanks!
    Monday, December 03, 2012 11:45 AM
  • Hello,

If your PC is running Windows 8 Pro and you'd like to get Windows 8 Media Center Pack so you can watch and record live TV with Windows Media Center, you can take advantage of the following special offer:

For a limited time, get Windows 8 Media Center Pack for free **

To receive a free product key and get Windows 8 Media Center Pack, provide a valid email address in the space provided. Once you receive your free product key through the email address you provided, follow the instructions for adding Windows 8 Media Center Pack that appear later on this page.

To get the Product Key Please Click Here

Add Windows 8 Pro Pack or Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows

Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
    1. (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)

2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings .

3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8 and then do one of the following:

• If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.

You will be prompted through the steps to buy a product key from there and it will be entered for you.

• If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.

4. Enter your product key and click Next.

5. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Windows

Once You Recieve the Product key:

Follow these steps to add Windows 8 Media Center Pack to your PC running Windows 8 Pro:

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. (If you’re using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search).
    2. Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    3. Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.
    4. Then tap or click I already have a product key.
    5. Enter the product key, and then click Next.
    6. Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

If you were running Windows 8, your PC will restart automatically and Windows 8 Pro With Media Center will be on it.

If you were running Windows 8 Pro, your PC will restart automatically and Windows Media Center will be available for use.

The Windows Media Center Key is only to Unlock the add feature of the windows 8 pro but not install the windows 8 pro. The Orignial Windows 8 Pro Key and Add Feature Key Should be secured, So that it can use for the Future Use.

For Any Futhur Asstiance Reach to Microsoft Customer Support.

Regards, Ashish Kumar Singh

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 11:57 AM
  • The whole Media Center stunt was truly an exercise in stupidity.

Why isn't it just bundled with Win8 Pro? Oh, I know, they want to save licensing costs for the DVD codecs.. but they are giving Media Center now for free away anyway! And after the Media Center offer ends, the Windows 8 special price offer ends as well! We're back to Windows Pro costing 150 bucks. And at 150 bucks they sure can include some stinking DVD codecs.

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 8:17 PM
  • Hi Carey

I have the same problem in that the key is not accepted. I have followed all of the instructions and I have Windows 8 Pro. I have applied twice successfully for a key and have received one key but now my applications are no longer accepted.

I would appreciate any help you can offer

Stephen

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 9:22 AM
  • contact support:

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 09:22:43 +0000, Stephen Robins wrote:

>
    >
    >Hi Carey
    >
    >I have the same problem in that the key is not accepted. I have followed all of the instructions and I have Windows 8 Pro. I have applied twice successfully for a key and have received one key but now my applications are no longer accepted.
    >
    >I would appreciate any help you can offer
    >
    >Stephen

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Tuesday, January 08, 2013 10:38 AM