none
universial serial bus controlers error code 43

Question

• In device manager under  usb controllers it says windows has stopped it because of problems and error code 43 and says unknown device so i have tried all the update it and such but no luck I have uninstalled it and it comes back it says manufactur standard usb host controller location port=#0002 hub #0003 version 6.1.7600.16385 signer microsoft windows date 6/21/06...i ran the usbview and everything is zeros and says device failed enumeration port 2   Now i had windows vista32 bit and  i upgraded to windows 7,32 bit and still the same problem now in my device manager there is no image device  it is gone when it use to be listed under the tree.i would appricate the help to fix this i am not sure what else to do.thankyou   
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 8:03 AM

All replies

• I'm having the same exact problem. I feel like I have tried everything.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:11 AM
  • Can you guys please run msinfo32, save the output file, and post it on http://skydrive.live.com?  Please post the link to the file here.  Thanks.

windygappigs - Are you saying you were seeing the code 43 problem BEFORE your upgrade to Windows 7?  Did you recently install any new hardware or software?
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:36 AM
  • Hi,

Do you know what USB device encounter the Code 43?

Are the BIOS and the motherboard drivers up to date?

If they are updated, I also suggest you reinstall the USB controllers.

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, please upload the System Information to us for analyzing as Mark required.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 5:33 AM
  • I sent a link to the team  but i dont know how to put the link on here before i did windows 7 i had vista and in the device manager it just said unknown device under the serial bus controllers but no triangle  now that i have windows 7 it says the code 43,it still says unknown device now with the triangle and that windows stopped it,i have not installed any new software or hardware.i keep up on updates so everything is up to date..i will try the reinstall usb controllers and let u know thankyou also i have no usb things pluged in..

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:59 AM
  • When you say that you sent a link to the team, where did you send it?

Some additional information is needed to diagnose this issue.  I'll need you to capture a USB trace for me please.

1) Reboot the machine and uninstall your USB controllers.

2) Run this command from an elevated command prompt (right click on command prompt shortcut, select "run as administrator"):
    Logman start USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT -o USBForumTrace.etl -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128

3) Run this command from an elevated command prompt:
    Logman update USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128

4) Execute your repro scenario (in your case, click on "scan for hardware changes").

5) After you have a repro, run this command from an elevated command prompt: 
    Logman stop USBForumTrace -ets

6) Search on the machine for “USBForumTrace.etl”

7) Post that file and c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log on a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.

Thanks,
    Mark

Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:26 AM
  • where it says send link, then says send to  i put, windows live team and sent it.i also uninstalled all usb devices like was suggested and said all said ready to use but one and it said unidentified device--device unplugged.. now do you think this could have had anything to do with my webcam as i have no image device at all on my tree and what i mean is the listing image device is not there  as i use to and the hp webcam was listed under image device and now it dosent work..and didnt even before windows 7 install.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:47 AM
  • where it says send link, then says send to  i put, windows live team and sent it.i also uninstalled all usb devices like was suggested and said all said ready to use but one and it said unidentified device--device unplugged.. now do you think this could have had anything to do with my webcam as i have no image device at all on my tree and what i mean is the listing image device is not there  as i use to and the hp webcam was listed under image device and now it dosent work..and didnt even before windows 7 install.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're referring to here.  Sounds like you're using some application that I'm not familliar with to collect some info. 

When you share the file out on skydrive, there's a web link on the right hand side of the page.  That's the link I'm looking for.  And then do the same for the other files I requested above please.

If you have a device showing up as "unknown device" and your webcam wasn't showing up in device manager, yes, it's a pretty good bet that they are the same device.

What problem were you having with this camera before the Windows 7 install?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 4:51 AM
  • Hi,

After uploading the information we requested to SkyDrive, copy the website address from the Internet Explorer Address Bar and paste this address here.

To use the webcam in Windows 7 normally, you need to install the webcam driver for Windows 7 from the hardware manufacturer.

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:43 AM
  • So does  this mean that every time we change mouse/keyboard, these steps must be followed? i have 7 windows 7 machines, all with the same error code if i try to attach a new device following installation of windows 7?
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 12:04 PM
  • So does  this mean that every time we change mouse/keyboard, these steps must be followed? i have 7 windows 7 machines, all with the same error code if i try to attach a new device following installation of windows 7?
    No, you definitely should not have to do that.

If you're getting this error code when you attach a device, please follow the steps I mentioned above to capture a trace for the issue.  (And include that in the other thread I just requested you start to discuss your USB problems).

Thanks,
    Mark

Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

I've recently installed Win7 too. I was using my USB stick (SanDisk Cruzer 16GB) to transfer some stuff from my laptop to my PC. Thiw was working until all of a sudden I got the same error. The USB still works on my laptop. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:04 PM
  • I'm in the same boat have resently installed a copy of W7 anything with a with memory seems to stop working including usb stick, ipod and iphone, now I felt the problem was something on the computer so I done a fresh install not added anything other than itunes and norton 360 at the moment and still having the same problem?

can Antone help me with this. Thanks in advance
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 8:16 PM
  • I'm in the same boat have resently installed a copy of W7 anything with a with memory seems to stop working including usb stick, ipod and iphone, now I felt the problem was something on the computer so I done a fresh install not added anything other than itunes and norton 360 at the moment and still having the same problem?

What's the make/model of your PC?

Can you please follow the steps above to capture a USB trace?
    Saturday, January 23, 2010 11:24 PM
  • mine is hp laptop the pavilion dv9620us it comes on every once in awhile there is nothing pluged in i have windows 7 home premium if you could give me exact instructions i will try and do i am not sure of what elevated  command promt is  thankyou 
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:22 AM
  • mine is hp laptop the pavilion dv9620us it comes on every once in awhile there is nothing pluged in i have windows 7 home premium if you could give me exact instructions i will try and do i am not sure of what elevated  command promt is  thankyou 

Sorry about that.  I should update my instructions to include this info.

How to get an elevated command prompt:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Command-Prompt-frequently-asked-questions (see "how to run a command with elevated privileges")

Create a skydrive account - Look at Vivian Xing's excellent suggestions in this thread:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/d2602df5-e2bf-45b5-a26a-2866707dfcf9#782ec895-33db-49e4-bb70-534214235a91
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:24 AM
  • ok i got the msinfo32 done and saved in a public folder on sky drive now i am confused on what to do..thankyou
    • Proposed as answer by batman19277 Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:12 PM
  • Hi.. i have the same problem, i followed your steps and did the trace, but the USBtracefile is 74 mb long and the skydrive only lets me upload 50. what is yoru suggestion? . rick670@hotmail.com
    Saturday, February 06, 2010 5:02 AM
  • ok i got the msinfo32 done and saved in a public folder on sky drive now i am confused on what to do..thankyou

Go to the Public folder on skydrive.  Select the file.  On the right side of the page, look next to the "web address" field.  Copy that value and paste it to a message here.
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:10 AM
  • Hi.. i have the same problem, i followed your steps and did the trace, but the USBtracefile is 74 mb long and the skydrive only lets me upload 50. what is yoru suggestion?

Thanks Rick.  If it's something you can make happen often, can you please make another attempt so you can get a smaller trace file?

Also, please provide the make/model of your machine, and describe in detail the exact problem you're having along with the steps required to make it happen.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Monday, February 08, 2010 4:12 AM
  • @Mark

I was hoping you might help me with a similar issue as I saw no resolution to windygappigs posting above.  

I recently purchased a Sony VIOS laptop, Model VPCCW21FX.  I also purchased a Logitech mouse with the wireless USB functionality.  It was working fine -I plugged it in when I first bought it and it worked perfectly.  I am not sure why, but this morning it stopped working and I got the Error Code 43 message seen above.  I have not used any other device and I have no idea if something with windows or VIOS was updated in the interim.  To my knowledge, it was working one minute and stopped the next.

I have posted to SkyDrive the file you mentioned above, here is the link: 

http://cid-2eab246e552e7d1f.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/USBForumTrace.etl

I hope you might be able to give me some help.  I appreciate it.  mel006@gmail.com

Friday, March 05, 2010 4:03 PM
  • it seems like you never get answers to the harder problems the easy ones are answered quickly..good luck

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Hi windygappigs,
    Well, HP does not provides the specs on which nForce chipset is in your computer. It may be a 610m or 630m based upon your GPU (7150m). NVida reference here.
    I would recommend that you install the Vista version of the nForce chipset update here from HP downloads.

If you can identify the chipset, visit nVidia and check to see if there is a Win 7 version available. Here is the possible chipset driver, although it doesn't mention the mobile series. nVidia typically leaves the mobile series to the manufacturer(HP),which is not supporting your computer for Win 7. Reference here. On that page, they do not recommend installing Win 7 on the computers not included in the list of supported. The dv9620us.

The conclusion is that you have a non-supported notebook for Windows 7 and there is no manufacturer supplied solution. Try the Vista driver from HP. If no success, then the nVidia version. If no success, restore Vista or live with the problem.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Hi, I have been getting this problem aswell.  It is an external HDD and some other things but same code43.  Please help...

http://cid-c83ed8ab157ead62.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=2

I have uploaded the files asked for here....

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 7:02 PM
  •  

Hi, I have been getting this problem aswell.  It is an external HDD and Universal serial bus controller problem but same code43.  Please help...

http://cid-364fb66ec1072e24.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=2

have uploaded the files asked for here....

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Hi Redsox 2010,

Would you provide some hardware information?

1. Motherboard or computer make and model

2. External HDD make and model-if generic enclosure the make and model of that

Is this an Intel 845 chipset with a P4 (478)?

Enter the BIOS and check your boot settings-change Plug and Play OS to yes and save and exit. That allows the OS to control the device assignments.

The external HDD may have a firmware update for the internal controller.

Are you having any other USB device problems?

Remove the Redsox screensaver and anything Redsox as that will surely cause problems. The curse is not gone. (just kidding)

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:35 AM
  • Hi Brydom,

Have you resolved the issue? Try the same as Redsox. But, it looks like your not even getting the usb hub controller drivers installed.

Would you provide some hardware information?

1. Motherboard or computer make and model

2. External HDD make and model-if generic enclosure the make and model of that

Is this an Intel 845 chipset with a P4 (478)?

Enter the BIOS and check your boot settings-change Plug and Play OS to yes and save and exit. That allows the OS to control the device assignments.

The external HDD may have a firmware update for the internal controller.

Are you having any other USB device problems?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:44 AM
  • I am also having usb problems, it will work when i first plug in a hard drive but when i unplug it and plug it back in or plug something else in it no longer works here is my information:

http://cid-ead8f88c9f792d65.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Monday, May 31, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm having a similar problem. My Logitech USB hesdset used to work fine on my windows 7, but today it stopped working and I saw error code 43 when I tried to fix the problem.

I've uploaded the report file on SkyDrive, here's the link:

http://cid-2d2ffe8036284ad3.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public

Thanks in advance 

Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:10 PM
  • this is definately a bug that should have been addressed by now. 8 months since first reported?  it just started happening to me too so I'm wondering if an update did anything.
    Friday, June 18, 2010 12:17 PM
  • i have suddenly got this message 'one of the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognise it'. it says error code 43. the usb drives (2 in no.) have stopped working as in they dont recognise the external hard drive or pen drive.  I have a HP pavilion dv4 series notebook.  the usb drives were working fine - however suddenly yesterday this strange message cropped up. life has taken a drastic turn! please help.

in device status is says:  Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

driver provider:  microsoft

date of driver: 21-06-2006

driver version: 6.1.7600.16385

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

• Proposed as answer by ameet2005 Friday, June 25, 2010 3:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:41 PM
  • for anyone having a hp laptop...try this link - it worked for me...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Operating-systems-and-software/usb-hub-error/m-p/142479#M20913

QUOTE START: 

Re: usb hub error

10-23-2009 07:58 AM

It actually turned out to be annoyingly easy. 

I finally managed to track down a web post where someone was having the same issue. Taking their suggestion, I turned the laptop off, unplugged it, and pulled out the battery for a few minutes. Then rebooted and... *ding*... works fine.

Seems there's a capacitor on the usb controller that must store a charge to keep the settings fresh. And unless you drain the charge completely from the board, they can get corrupted. Since I rarely turn my laptop off, it never gets drained. I'd power-cycled a few times since having the problem, but never pulled the battery. 

I'm glad it's a simple solution, but I have to confess to being a bit disappointed by this.  Seems like this should fall under the "you shouldn't have to do this" category. 

*shrug*

Maybe this will help someone else, at least.

--kevin 

Quote END

• Proposed as answer by ameet2005 Friday, June 25, 2010 3:44 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 3:44 PM
  • http://cid-78ae2961856e1628.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/usbforumtrace.etl

http://cid-78ae2961856e1628.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/setupapi.dev.log

I have same problem,

my email is

aidar-svyatov@utulsa.edu

aidar99@hotmail.com

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

Do you know what USB device encounter the Code 43?

Are the BIOS and the motherboard drivers up to date?

If they are updated, I also suggest you reinstall the USB controllers.

Reinstall USB controllers

-----------------------------

Use the Mouse

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

================

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the “Start” menu.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically.

If the issue persists, please upload the System Information to us for analyzing as Mark required.

Arthur Li - MSFT

This worked perfectly for me.

Thanks

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)
    Recommended resolution

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner.

If you have already run the Troubleshooting Wizard, you might want to check the hardware documentation for more information about diagnosing the problem.
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 4:46 PM
  • Having same problem with HP dv4. First cropped up a week ago and hane been busy uninstalling etc with no luck.

THIS WORKS!!!!!

1) Shut down laptop

2) Unplug

3) Remove battery

4) Go make a cup of coffee

5) Reboot

Not sure if #4 is necessary, but it worked for me.

Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:28 PM
  • unplugging worked for me too. amazing.
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Having same problem with HP dv4. First cropped up a week ago and hane been busy uninstalling etc with no luck.

THIS WORKS!!!!!

1) Shut down laptop

2) Unplug

3) Remove battery

5) Reboot

This worked on my desktop with WIN7.  Unplugged, press start button, plugged in and bam, its fixed.
    Friday, July 30, 2010 4:35 AM
  • This worked for me too on an old IBM ThinkPad R52!
    Sunday, August 08, 2010 2:35 AM
  • For a logitect headset usb connecter it worked porperly on windows 7 and it stop working suddenly. https://cid-e529b4927e6b7519.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?resid=E529B4927E6B7519!104&Bpub=SDX.Docs&Bsrc=GetSharingLink&authkey=n4w3YZQOvdc%24

Friday, August 13, 2010 9:22 AM
  • I've had the same probelm with an external HD I bought a week ago. I've tried the uninstalling steps, but it didn't work.

Here's my link.

https://cid-baeca19219953832.office.live.com/richupload.aspx/msinfo?nl=1

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:14 AM
  • I have the same problem and the fix did not work for me. I have a Dell xps435T with i7-920 cpu that is a year old. I uggraded the OS to win7 Home 64 five month ago and everything was workig fine untill I decided to clean the dust becasuse the system is on 24x7. I unplugged it for 30 minute vacuum the dust and power up but found out soon that the four usb ports that I have in the front have stooped working with mass storage,any thing else ,like web-cam, wifi card works. USB flash disc ,Iphone, Ipad ,Ipod and external usb hard dirve are not working . The error message was Error 43 unknown device. Mind you all this devices used to work before the cleaning.

I know the physical port is working becasue I boot with Ubuntu linux cd and the ports works. I have tried the power down and unplug the system for few hours but the same .I even took the cmos battery for 20 minutes and still the same.

Saturday, October 09, 2010 10:36 PM
  • Hi G8Vegas,

very strange, indeed. The only Dell update that seemed relevant is the BIOS update. I believe it is A16 is the latest. I can't believe they didn't support this for Windows 7. So, Windows should have everything needed in the way of drivers.

You could try the Intel updater-here: http://www.intel.com/support/detect.htm?iid=dc_spotlight_home1

A vacuum can cause static and create an esd. Canned cleaner should be used to blow the dust away.

As it is on all of the time, perhaps a Windows update caused the issue. Do you reboot when updates applied?

Disconnect all of the peripherals, empty card readers and reboot.

Anything in Event Viewer that would provide a clue?

Try the system file checker to repair damaged files. elevated command prompt, sfc/scannow  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You could also perform a system restore to a point close to the cleaning date. Have you created any? Any complete system images close to the cleaning date.? Those help in this situation.

Also, Apple I..applications have been known to cause a problem. Be sure those are the most recent.

Sunday, October 10, 2010 5:33 AM
  • pls help me with my issue......USB device not recognized....i have upload "msinfo32" and also "setupapi.dev.log" to my skydrive...public folder....

pls reply me as soon as possible to my email id

deepakwilson4u@hotmail.com

deepakwilson4u@gmail.com

i am using a Western Digital external hard disk....

pls reply...........

Monday, October 18, 2010 10:56 AM
  • This actually worked for me on a desktop computer. Not sure what exactly worked, but this is what I did...

1. Unistalled the problem device in the Device Manager

2. Shutdown the computer

3. Unplugged the computer until I saw the board LEDs (not sure if everyone has these) go out

4. Unplugged all USB devices other than the keyboard

5. Plugged in the computer and booted

6. Plug in USB devices one by one

SUCCESS!!! I might have just been lucky... not sure.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:00 AM
  • ^^^ this is how I fixed my desktop but I didn't unplug any of my USB devices and it worked after hours trying to find a fix... Turns out I used to use this fix years ago (1995) to fix audio on a PC I had back then...
    Saturday, November 13, 2010 5:29 AM
  • I just encountered the same problem an hour ago, after a year on a new computer (Sony laptop) running flawlessly. I saw a similar post on a different website, tried this fix, and it worked. After the hub quit, nothing I plugged in was recognized. Sorry Microsoft techs, this thread was long so I did not read the whole thing through-is MS working on a permanent solution to this? 
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 5:36 PM
  • Worked like a charm!

Thanks

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:35 AM
  • I have been experiencing a similar problem. 2 days ago all my USB ports were working. Yesterday they all stopped. I have run through this process but to no avail. But here is a link to my system information file...

http://cid-80c26601e52a6bfc.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public

Sean Spinks
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 11:41 AM
  • Here is the link to the other log files that were requested...

http://cid-80c26601e52a6bfc.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Public?uc=2

Sean Spinks
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:03 PM
  • I see two problems with the above-referenced instructions. First, I have a USB mouse and keyboard. So how the heck am I supposed to restart the computer after I've deleted the drivers that enable my user interface?!

Second, I have a total of 8 devices named "Intel(R) ICH10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller."  Does this oddly worded phrase: "Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' " mean I'm supposed to delete every device under "Universal Serial Bus controllers," or just the Host Controllers?

Thanks!

-- Ed

Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:45 PM
  •  

Hi,

i am having the same problem with my printer and external dvdr drive, i have uninstalled. reinstalled, updated drivers.. deleted usb ports, reinstalled.. everything i can think of... but had no luck... could you help?

http://cid-21ebf3be8aa1e99d.office.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1

Sunday, January 30, 2011 3:32 PM
  • When you say that you sent a link to the team, where did you send it?

Some additional information is needed to diagnose this issue.  I'll need you to capture a USB trace for me please.

1) Reboot the machine and uninstall your USB controllers.

2) Run this command from an elevated command prompt (right click on command prompt shortcut, select "run as administrator"):
    Logman start USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT -o USBForumTrace.etl -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128

3) Run this command from an elevated command prompt:
    Logman update USBForumTrace -p Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB -ets -nb 128 640 -bs 128

4) Execute your repro scenario (in your case, click on "scan for hardware changes").

5) After you have a repro, run this command from an elevated command prompt: 
    Logman stop USBForumTrace -ets

6) Search on the machine for “USBForumTrace.etl”

7) Post that file and c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log on a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com and post the link here.

Thanks,
    Mark

hello i have the same problem as this people and here is my infos http://cid-2657211c577ec2b5.office.live.com/browse.aspx/problem?permissionsChanged=1&1 the problem is with my game controller i never had this problem before with xp it just appeared when i tried windows 7 i tried everything even battery rest and reinstalling the usb drivers serval times i wish u can help thx in advance
    Monday, February 07, 2011 1:19 PM
  • I had the same problem but the fix was remarkably simple.  Right click on "my computer" and select manage.  Then select the device manager.  On the right side open Universal Serial Bus controllers.  Right click on any device with a yellow exclamation point and select uninstall.  After all the malfunctioning devices are uninstalled, right click on the name of your computer at the top and select "scan for hardware changes".  The OS will reinstall the drivers for the devices and you should be up and running again.  My OS is Win7 Ultimate x64.  Hope this helps anyone who still has this problem.

-Infraschall

• Proposed as answer by reeny72 Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:27 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by reeny72 Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:27 AM
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:38 AM
  • did that and then somemore, but i read a post somewhere suggesting I remove my laptops baterry for a few mintues and then pop it back on, and it immediatly recognised the external drive, So if all fails try this.

Reeny72

Sunday, March 13, 2011 10:31 AM
  • HI Mark,

I was hoping you might help me with a similar issue.i have uploaded USB trace and setupapi.devi below is the link to the file .

http://cid-8bf16157586cd02e.office.live.com/self.aspx/USBForumTrace.et!

My email alok_doon@rediff.com

Saturday, May 14, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Hi guys!

Just to tell i had same problem with mouse... Just in 1 second i got like little window for this error code 43 on usb ports.. And i tryed to fix that on every possible way.. Then i found 1 site and read allot there.. And the only problem with this what can be its your divice what u want plug in your usb port on pc is broked or destroyed... Cuz i had mouse with broken cable and always when i tryed plug him inside i got this error 43... And now i got new mouse and everything works again perfect :) I tryed all solutions .. Updates, Reinstall windows... Everything and on the end when i thinked i tryed everything i just reinstall drivers put inside new mouse and works great..

I hope guys u will fix that too :) Cya and have fun :)

Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:54 PM
  • I disagree on the mouse cable, I have two logitech mx mice fail at the cable in the last three years. Right where the cable goes into the mouse is the break point. The most disappointing thing, about this issue, is that the cable is cloth braided which I figured would last longer. Now I am wireless and not having that problem, this Code 43 is for my USB up.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:09 AM
  • Howdy,

I'm getting this error with the webcam in my HP Pavilion dv9999us laptop. I tried the power drain and it worked once, but reverted to error state with CD-ROM activity. I then disabled the device, but after returning from a suspended state, it re-installed the driver and began working, but errored when I turned my printer on. It seems like a power supply issue, but all other USB devices work, and it does not work even when everything else is unplugged.

msinfo32 at http://cid-0808a18b43401481.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/System%20Info%20File.nfo

Thanks

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:36 AM
  • So here's my story. USB error 43. tried removing all drivers in device mgr and rebooting. Did this 10 times with no results. Killed power and pulled battery. No joy. disconnected all USB devices including two motherboard connectors. Again - no luck. I tested voltage on USB plug - 4.93VDC.

I'm running 64 bit Win7 on Duocore with Gigabyte MB. This is a homebuilt machine about 2 years old that has never given me any problems til now.........What Gives???????????

Mike

Friday, June 03, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Yes - Vista was the OS then. I upgraded to 7 when it first came out.

Mike

Friday, June 03, 2011 2:59 AM
  • This is a desktop - - are you suggesting I revert to Vista? This really sux. Is there no practical solution with the Win7/64 bit? Unbelievable.

Thanks

Saturday, June 04, 2011 12:33 AM
  • gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p

Mike

Saturday, June 04, 2011 3:20 AM
  • Gigabyte does not have a newer bios driver for win7x64. I did update the chipset driver.  I downloaded and ran CClDeaner and Diver Sweeper without any success.

I was hoping to be able to make a few changes in the registry to clean out the conflict. What a pain

Mike

Saturday, June 04, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Been there - done that about 50 times with no results. when the machine reboots, the drivers reload  and error out.

???crazy???

Mike

Sunday, June 05, 2011 3:33 AM
  • I was thinking about buying a 1TB hard drive and adding it to my existing box. I couldthan do a clean install of Win7 using my old 600GB drive as a backup.

could this error still haunt me with a clean install on a new drive...........If so do I just Nuc the box and buy a new one?

Thanks for all the help

Mike

Sunday, June 05, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Well I installed a new WD Black 1T hard drive and reinstalled Win 7 64 on the drive. Guess what - - no mouse or usb. That leads me to believe I need a new motherboard. I like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P that I have and am eying ebay since I think they are out of production. 

Could this possibly anything else but the MB. I have the same error code when I pull up the device mgr. I actually pulled my old WD Black 640 when I installed the new one.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mike

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:33 AM
  • I just installed a new Gigabyte MB.....problem solved. I guess I lost the USB controller chip on the old MB

Thanks for all the help

Mike

Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:26 AM
  • http://cid-bb582b9e21e53940.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/public?uc=2&nl=1

Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:10 PM

THIS WORKS!!!!!

1) Shut down laptop

2) Unplug

3) Remove battery

5) Reboot

Worked for me!!!! Cheers dude!
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:03 AM
  • i bought a packard bell touchscreen all in 1 pc lituraly 2 days ago which comes with wireless keyboard n mouse! which im getting the same code43 error so not sure what todo since when it comes to pc iv not got any idea about

please helpppppp! 8^(

and to be honest im not sure bout all that uninstalling coz theres a mass storage device, compsite device, 2 generics,2 root hubs but also got 2 Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller-1C26 the other ends with 1C2D i do not know what it all means but i do know that its to do with the touch screen
    Monday, August 22, 2011 9:33 PM
  • ok cheers mate
    Monday, August 22, 2011 10:27 PM
  • THANK YOU !!!!! The first try it worked. :)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:46 PM
  • ur wyle coyote - "super genius!"

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:42 PM
  • In device manager under  usb controllers it says windows has stopped it because of problems and error code 43 and says unknown device so i have tried all the update it and such but no luck I have uninstalled it and it comes back it says manufactur standard usb host controller location port=#0002 hub #0003 version 6.1.7600.16385 signer microsoft windows date 6/21/06...i ran the usbview and everything is zeros and says device failed enumeration port 2   Now i had windows vista32 bit and  i upgraded to windows 7,32 bit and still the same problem now in my device manager there is no image device  it is gone when it use to be listed under the tree.i would appricate the help to fix this i am not sure what else to do.thankyou   

Hello, for those who think they have tried everything to solve this problem, wait till you read this post : Fix Error Code 43. Hope it helps!

Saturday, January 21, 2012 9:52 PM
  • i have new sony vaio vpca 21 i got this error Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) for its webcam i tried all solutions in this page also i recovered windows to the factory version but i couldn't use my web cam till now!it has remain unknown device!!????
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 12:17 PM
  • I have had the same problem with code 43 error identifying USB port not being recognized. I had tried different suggestions as described in the forum, which did not work. I am writing here to explain how I managed to fix the code 43 error USB port not being recognized. The solution is very simple and it does not need to reinstall programs, etc. I shut down the computer, unplugged the power cable, and  removed the battery. I held down the computer start button for about 1 min. I connected the power cable without the battery and started the computer. To my surprise, the USB ports were now fuctional.  You can replace the battery after turning off the computer. Enjoy.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:00 PM
  • Mark, I did all you asked for, and I don't really know if you will reply since this is written for like more than 2 years before, but I am having this trouble which is bringing my serious problems. I cannot connect my Windows Phone 7 with my Lap top because of the Code 43. If you can help me I would appreciate it. Write me in : fittimm-@live.com.     

Here is the ling: https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?sc=documents!cid=D410DECA35E039E8&id=D410DECA35E039E8!273&sc=documents

Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:12 PM
  • <iframe src="https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=3E8FAADD5C3EA88A&resid=3E8FAADD5C3EA88A%21105&authkey=AJtLXH3579uKWoQ" width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

it doesnt detect any harware at all!

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:56 PM
  • Thank you very much.

My problem has just been solved. :) Now my computer mouse works again.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:53 PM