none
"Change PC Settings" won't open

Question

• I upgraded my HP desktop to Windows 8 Enterprise, and I upgraded my VDI running on VMware vShpere 5. Both were running Windows 7 Enterprise, and I upgraded to the Windows 8 Enterprise final version software. I managed to use the SLUI command to activate both copies.

On the *physical* HP hardware, everything seems to work as intended. On the VDI, I have a couple of unresolved issues.

First, the View Client won't connect to the desktop. Well, it connects, but gives a black screen for a few seconds, then the client closes. This is not a huge deal, as I just RDP to the VM. Overall, the upgrade was successful, and it seems to run fine, so I'm not overly worried about this. I'm sure a fix is on the way.

However, when I press the 'Start' button on the keyboard while in the VDI, then click in the upper right corner, then click on "Settings," and finally on "Change PC Settings," nothing happens. The normal window that opens with all the options on the left doesn't show up. Only thing that happens is the Setting/Change PC Settings window closes.

Is there a way to launch this process from the command line? Does anyone have an idea on how I can get this function to work? It's just aggravating that I can't finish the setup of the VDI.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 8:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you launch other metro applications form start menu?

I suggest to perform these tests to troubleshoot the issue:

1 logon with safe mode

2 create another user account and login to see if the same issue occurs

3 perform a refresh for windows 8

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you launch other metro applications form start menu?

I suggest to perform these tests to troubleshoot the issue:

1 logon with safe mode

2 create another user account and login to see if the same issue occurs

3 perform a refresh for windows 8

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:32 AM
  • Hello,

I have an equally problem. I can´t open the Windows Store oder the "Change PC-Settings" unter Charms >> Settings >> Change PC-Settings

Tried to add the Store.ink and so on in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but nothing happend if i click on the shortcuts under Modern UI.

I can open the Store with default IE and the Control panel, but not on Modern UI.

Now the big question. How i boot Windows 8 if i can´t open the "Change PC-Settings" to tell him to boot in save mode? F8 is in Windows 8 disables AFAIK.

Best Regards,

Maik Brockhaus

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:37 AM
  • How do I refresh if I can't open Change PC Settings? What is the command line?
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:31 AM