none
Does the "Customize this folder" program, IESHWIZ.EXE, work in Win7?

Question

• This program allows the user to put his own background picture in a folder.  It goes through all the steps, looks like it will work, but then nothing happens when I attempt to use it in Win7.  Does anyone know how I can get this to work, if it has been renamed, anything at all?
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on my research, the Customize this folder automates the Desktop.ini and Folder. htt editing process in Windows XP. However, the folder background feature has been removed since Windows Vista. Thus this program doesn't work in Windows 7 anymore.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Based on my research, the Customize this folder automates the Desktop.ini and Folder. htt editing process in Windows XP. However, the folder background feature has been removed since Windows Vista. Thus this program doesn't work in Windows 7 anymore.

Best Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 2:53 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.  I do not like Win 7, and that clinched it for me.  I ordered a new copy of XP Pro SP3 today, and I have no intention of going back and fighting Win 7 again.  I like XP because I can make it my way, and that includes customizing folder backgrounds.  I tried all the Vista releases, bought a copy, and then went back to XP.  This time I am not wasting the money on Win 7; I am going to stick with XP.  When that is no longer supported, I will be going with Linux.
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

Frankly speaking, there are many changes in Windows 7 compared with Windows XP. Windows 7 brings a lot of amazing and improved features such as Action Center, Desktop Slide show, Aero Glass, Homegroup, Powershell and so on, at the same time it brings strangeness to customers. I can totally understand that people won't love a new product until they get familiar with it.  However, I think the concern like yours can be fixed in the future and I would like to forward your opinions to our related DEV team for continiously developing products to meet customers requirements.  Meanwhile, I will follow up right after getting the method on how to change the background of folder in Windows 7. I would kindly recommend you to test new Operating System and discover its amazing, if you have any problem while using it, please feel free to post in Windows 7 Forum and we'll try our best to help you. Thanks.

Regards.
    Dale Qiao
    Wednesday, September 02, 2009 4:23 AM
  • I remember when Outlook removed the option to link to folders and files. I really dislike when newer versions of software lose functionality. I still use the newer Outlook, but miss the functionality, and have to build work a rounds for something that was really intuitive.

That said, I'm also sticking to XP (bought Vista, but went back to XP after a few months), and will probably going to Linux on my main computer after XP loses support for my software in the future. All these new 'Bells and whistles' are great, however I can get a lot of these bells and whistles without a new OS (or more likely don't need or want them) It seems though MS keeps moving away from the idea of letting me control my own PC's workings and details (such as folder backgrounds and Outlook shortcuts)

Actually after all this, I'm probably going to go to put Linux on one of my PC's tonight, or play with XNA.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:47 PM